Thread: Chilao Sunday??

Dirtmistress

Chilao Sunday??

Anyone interested in Chilao Sunday? Good climbs, singletrack,tech stuff? About 18 miles. I lead a good ride.(I think anyway) PM me or respond here if youre intertested and we shall see what transpires!
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?
    She'd clean the whole section,you know that!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmistress
    Anyone interested in Chilao Sunday? Good climbs, singletrack,tech stuff? About 18 miles. I lead a good ride.(I think anyway) PM me or respond here if youre intertested and we shall see what transpires!
    I'm interested but I have plans to be in south oc that day. So if things change I'll pm you probably on saturday. Thanks for the heads up!

mechmann_mtb
    i assume this is a similar ride to the one that Jim leads. i wish we didn't have plans. anyone thinking about riding in this area should definitely go if they have a chance. the single track descents are awesome. (the fire-road climbs are pretty killer if you enjoy that portion of the ride)

the GPS info that i posted from our ride up there is at:

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=254

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Alternate Suggestion

If I might make a suggestion if you are in good shape and like singletrack climbs. Don't do the traditional Figure 8 Loop. There is too much boring fireroad riding on that loop IMHO.

Instead climb the Alder Creek Trail to Loomis Ranch then the fireroad from Loomis Ranch. The Alder Creek Trail is accessed from Big Tujunga Road near the Alder Creek bridge. From there you have two choices, go right and take the fireroad to the back side of Mt Hilyar, go right through Chilao to Silver Moc - Horse Flats - paved road to Mt. Hilyar. Ride down from the top of Mt. Hilyar to Chilao down to Loomis Ranch and down Alder Creek Trail.

This is a great way to see some terrain many people don't see.

My other favorite variation is to park on the paved road past Horse Flats to Mt. Hilyar and ride Mt Hilyar twice then go down and back up the Silver Moc. Almost all bang for your buck and almost not fireroad.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity