suspension whore

Cherry Canyon- La Canada...trail advice

So with the San Gabriel's out of bounds till the end of summer I wanted to try some new trails in the Pasadena area.
    Cherry Canyon was suggested and I'm wondering if anyone can get me up to speed on the trails there/ parking and a recommended loop ???
    I usually ride the Merrils/Sunset ridge loop from Mallard campground trail head.
    cheers
    Intense 6.6..... Demo 9.

Mammoth MTN downhilling - check it out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb_m_pb0Ns0

official eMpTyBRain
    I have been meaning to try this area for sometime myself. I may do it today after work...
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

PB1
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Cherry canyon pretty small but still a decent place to ride. There is a fire road on top that parallels the 2 fwy, take that to the fire look out tower, go to the left toward the gate, near the bottom there is a fun single track on the left. There is another single track on the north end that starts near the power line towers. The fire road climbs are short(about 15-20 min). If you have a good sense of direction it's pretty hard to get lost if you use the fire lookout tower, green water tank and the power lines to orient yourself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You can take the Flint Canyon Trail over from Pasadena.

Cherry Canyon has been getting a lot of use since the Station Fire.
    www.corbamtb.com CORBA-Working for MTB Access in the L.A. area.
    www.otbmbc.com

official eMpTyBRain
    Finally rode it today...no thanks. Too much steep up and down. Trails are potholed, lots of dangerously steep loose, rock garden drops and sections. A few very short smooth sections, though. Some interesting quartz slide areas....gold up there???

I ride a 4" travel rig. Riders would be better suited with a 5" or 6" travel rig since the weight of those bikes is a bit heavier to absorb the abuse given by the terrain. It's not real gnarly, I just don't care for bumpy, jittery trails, that's all....I guess I am getting old!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

suspension whore
    I rode up there last weekend and enjoyed it.
    I'm getting old too but over compensated with a 35 lb, intense 6.6.
    I thought the climbs up the fire roads were short but challenging enough and the single track was well worth the effort. Its definately not as rough as the merrils and sunset ridge but you do have to do alot of doubling back (up/down/up/down/up/ down) to do any miles.
    Parking seems very limited and I'm guessing the area gets a lot of horse/ hiking traffic so bells are a must.
    Like Amb... said, with a 6 inch bike, enough steep , rocky and choppy trails to be worth the climb.... by no means all smooth single track... I thought the sign warning the equestrians to tighten there saddles was a nice touch.
    Intense 6.6..... Demo 9.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    No long climbs because it is a small area. You have several ways to link up the trails and they're not technical and pretty smooth. You can find some steep loose stuff if you are testing your skills but this is a good beginner riding place if you wanna ride your old hardtail or bring your newbee buddy.Watch for hikers and parents riding with the kids.

FTM
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg
    Finally rode it today...no thanks. Too much steep up and down. Trails are potholed, lots of dangerously steep loose, rock garden drops and sections. A few very short smooth sections, though. Some interesting quartz slide areas....gold up there???

I ride a 4" travel rig. Riders would be better suited with a 5" or 6" travel rig since the weight of those bikes is a bit heavier to absorb the abuse given by the terrain. It's not real gnarly, I just don't care for bumpy, jittery trails, that's all....I guess I am getting old!
    Huh, I ride Cherry Canyon on my SS 'cross bike all the time and the only trail I avoid is the Owl Trail (steep with loose rocks). I actually rode it for the first time on my mountain bike (fully rigid) and although the horse post holes are annoying, I had a lot of fun. I realize that everybody has a different level of roughness and fun, but I am really surprised that a 5-6" travel bike is recommended. Maybe you didn't hit up some of the other trails up there.

Agreed that Cherry Canyon isn't a destination vacation spot but until the San Gabriels are open it's nice to have somewhere I can bike to from Altadena, ride all the trails and be home in less than two hours before work. My only other option is up the Merrill but I have to leave extra early if I want to avoid all the hikers.

suspension whore
    FTM... I think I saw you briefly a couple of weeks ago, not understandably you passed me on the way up.
    I went back last weekend and strung together a longer loop that finished on the owl after a series of ups and downs. Definately more fun than running fireroads and a gearat backyard riding loop (or series of loops).
    4-5 inches should be good for everything except the owl trail.
    Definately more fun than trying to squeeze a rub in on Lower Merril- and a lot more fun descending as well.
    see you guys out there
    Intense 6.6..... Demo 9.

mtbr member
    Cherry is one of my favorite rides, been riding it for about a year and a half, dont think a week has gone by where I have not ridden it at least once. Its a great before and after work ride, even a fun night ride. Although there tend to be mtn lions and snakes there and the horse pot holes to deal with. Owl is fun but cuts off lots of good 1x and the bonus section up near the shooting range and ends down at the power lines. I always freshen up the ride by riding certain sections backwards and use up all the 1x I can.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by El Presidente
    You can take the Flint Canyon Trail over from Pasadena.

Cherry Canyon has been getting a lot of use since the Station Fire.
    Rode cherry canyon for the first time tonight and really enjoyed the area. Excellent trail network for such a small area. For a 1-2 hour ride, the place is ideal.

I parked near LC high school and rode over on the flint trail. That is a nice/easy warm up ride to the main cherry canyon area. Note that the final 1/3 of a mile of flint trail is signed no bikes, the section between Berkshire and Hampstead. It is an easy detour around this section.

R