Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    dft
    mtbr member

cheap cure for PO

my friend emailed me this, thought i would pass along
    -------------------------------------------------
    Okay, last week I said I may have a great remedy to NOT get PO infection post ride. It is an extreme measure but well worth it if you get it that bad.

Mineral Spirit AKA "Pain Thinner".

Right after the ride, get an old rug, soak it with paint thinner and rub your exposed area real well. It works. I wanted to try that for a long time and finally after last time riding XXX and being exposed so much to PO, I had to stop by Lowes, but the paint thinner and test it.

It smells bad but well worth it.

Here is how I got to test this: I got some technu for post ride that I used once in a while in the shower. I swear, when I was using it the smell reminded me of paint thinner. So I showed it to friend who is a chemist and she looked at the ingredients and she said the only active ingredient in this bottle is "Mineral Spirit", which is Paint Thinner. Sure enough I was right on track.

Now when I was in High School I spent all summer working with painters (hard work), and at the end of the day to clean the paint from our arms, legs, we just use paint thinner and rub it until the oil paint is dissolved. It works great, and works great for PO which is also an oil.

It is a radical solution, but hey, if you get it bad, it is well worth it, and 1 littler of it only cost $5.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dft
    Okay, last week I said I may have a great remedy to NOT get PO infection post ride. It is an extreme measure but well worth it if you get it that bad.

Mineral Spirit AKA "Pain Thinner".

Right after the ride, get an old rug, soak it with paint thinner and rub your exposed area real well. It works. I wanted to try that for a long time and finally after last time riding XXX and being exposed so much to PO, I had to stop by Lowes, but the paint thinner and test it.
    and to make this method even more effective, apply a lit match to the already applied paint thinner. Less skin means less area for the Poison Oak. Richard Pryor did it and never got PO again!

Front Range, Colorado
    Wouldn't it be easier to inject battery acid directly into your veins? I did the same thing as a kid in the seventies we used gas or paint thinner to clean up almost anything. Although these days I think it has been proven to be slightly harmful to your health. The skin in a living membrane and certain things can be absorbed into your body via the skin. I could be wrong but it sure sounds like a bad idea.

Dented n' Spent
    Just looking for a little clarification. Sounds like you're saying do this *right after* the ride when you know you've been exposed. Are you also saying it works after you've broken out and already have bad rashes?

People have been washing up with paint thinner for a long time. Hard to believe it's that bad for you.

Thanks for the info!
    What kind of bike?​ I don'​t know,​ I'm not a bike scien​tist.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I piss on myself. It seems to work, i never get P.O.! Dawesome!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Just use Windex. I am the PO master!

I <3 Dirt
    Paint thinner has worked for me with some success with PO and Poison Sumac. I like Zanfel though although it is pricey.

endorphin addict
    Aug 2007
    Tecnu Xtreme is unbeatable, unless you just like the feeling of oak on your scrotum

Geritol Power
    my friend emailed me this,... I swear, when I was using it the smell reminded me of paint thinner. So I showed it to friend who is a chemist and she looked at the ingredients and she said the only active ingredient in this bottle is "Mineral Spirit", which is Paint Thinner. Sure enough I was right on track.
    Good thing your friend had access to a chemist to read the bottle for him.

Sorry, couldn't resist

mtbr member
    I use Gojo Mechanic's soap as found at Pep Boys. That stuff will take any grease/oil off your skin. Probably less toxic than paint thinner, smells like oranges, and I can use it as soap when I need to (like after working on the car).

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Namlak
    I use Gojo Mechanic's soap as found at Pep Boys. That stuff will take any grease/oil off your skin. Probably less toxic than paint thinner, smells like oranges, and I can use it as soap when I need to (like after working on the car).

I heard that works good and windex......washing your skin with soap and water works for me
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    We used Simple Green once. Seemed to work great.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I think the key is you have to get it off with something (anything that cuts grease will work) in a couple of hours. After that, it binds to your skin and you are screwed. I make it a practice to immediatly jump in the shower after a ride and scrub exposed areas well with soap. That keeps the outbreaks to a minimum. If I get a good scratch from a PO branch though I am toast no matter what I do.

Once I actualy have the rash the only things I have found that help are Zanfel and benadryl and real HOT showers.

i can't type the letter s
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    Wouldn't it be easier to inject battery acid directly into your veins? I did the same thing as a kid in the seventies we used gas or paint thinner to clean up almost anything. Although these days I think it has been proven to be slightly harmful to your health. The skin in a living membrane and certain things can be absorbed into your body via the skin. I could be wrong but it sure sounds like a bad idea.
    That's partly what makes it so good, it absorbs further into the skin than a topical soap, so it gets to the PO oil that has been absorbed deeper into your tissue.

This is similar to my antidote but I've never used it to prevent infection post ride.

And you're right, using large amounts of paint thinner does damage your ability to spell and type, and creates a chronic pain for vert which hinders relationships, and damages workplace efficiency, thus creating an individual with tonic mood swings that tends towards anti-social behavior when the vert hasn't been satisfied. It's kind of like a junkie addicted to heroin.

Bad, bad, stuff...STAY AWAY!!

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by mouse jockey
    That's partly what makes it so good, it absorbs further into the skin than a topical soap, so it gets to the PO oil that has been absorbed deeper into your tissue.

This is similar to my antidote but I've never used it to prevent infection post ride.

And you're right, using large amounts of paint thinner does damage your ability to spell and type, and creates a chronic pain for vert which hinders relationships, and damages workplace efficiency, thus creating an individual with tonic mood swings that tends towards anti-social behavior when the vert hasn't been satisfied. It's kind of like a junkie addicted to heroin.

Bad, bad, stuff...STAY AWAY!!
    Thank you, that explains why I have been experiencing all the above problems as an adult.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 06-13-2008 at 11:42 AM.

Equal opportunity meanie
    I have HEARD (but never tried) that automotive brake cleaner which is something like 90% acetone sprayed onto a rag and wiped over the affected area can help. I could see how it could work well too, since it evaporates things very quickly on contact. Probably best not to spray it directly on your skin though...

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    I have HEARD (but never tried) that automotive brake cleaner which is something like 90% acetone sprayed onto a rag and wiped over the affected area can help. I could see how it could work well too, since it evaporates things very quickly on contact. Probably best not to spray it directly on your skin though...
    I think we need a Dr. to interject in this thread. I have a feeling we may be seeing quite a few fatalities in the Southern California mountain biking community in the near future, and I'm not talking about riding fatalities. Is there a Doctor in the house?

Equal opportunity meanie
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    I think we need a Dr. to interject in this thread. I have a feeling we may be seeing quite a few fatalities in the Southern California mountain biking community in the near future, and I'm not talking about riding fatalities. Is there a Doctor in the house?
    This thread = dermatologists nightmare.

mtbcat.
    May 2006

dft paint thinner

" dft." afterward make sure you leave the rag you use in a bucket next to your gas hot water heater so you can get that new fork .

Trail Rider

A natural alternative

I went on an exploration ride through a canyon near a stream bed. The single track was very narrow and did a lot hugging the stream bed walls. I went over the bars when I hit a root. I ended up in a big bush of PO(face first). I immediately went down to the stream and stripped off my shirt, sat in the stream, then rubbed the wet sand all over my exposed body parts, including my face and head. I rinsed off in the stream. I didn't get any PO. I'm very sensitive to it.
    [size=4]Don[/size]

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Another natural alternative

If I get PO, I like to let bears or mountain lions lick the affected regions. Their scratchy tongues take it right off. It is an added bonus if you get the PO in your *sensitive* areas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Mercury (Hg) and radioactive waste is good for 'curing' "PO". gasoline, napalm and burning magnesium are pretty good as well.

ENJOY!!!

- m. b.
    It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own.

- Cicero

mtbr member
    Use mugwart its a oily plant that grows right next to po. If you rub it on you it neautralizes the po oils. Its the old indian cure.
    Warrior's Society > WarriorsSociety.org
    Team Sho-Air > Team-shoair.com
    Coolest LBS > Switchbackcylery.com
    Socal Riders Unite > Socaltrailriders.org

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I would suggest Scientology. It is the cure for all that ails you. If you weren't an alien in a human body, then PO would never be a problem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    I would suggest Scientology. It is the cure for all that ails you. If you weren't an alien in a human body, then PO would never be a problem.
    BRILLIANT!!!

lofl!

and people, the FDA is around for good reasons, so be careful out there.

as for poison oak, i've had countless battles with it. it sucks getting it in the crotch region. but the worst place is by far the face. shaving is brutile.

i am sure some sierra clubber / tree hugger is gonna cringe at me saying this, but i'd like to be the person to spray agent orange on the last living batch of poison oak, thus causing it's complete extinction. the asterik asterik asterik asterik is vile.
    It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own.

- Cicero

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast