Thread: Charlton Chilao

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Charlton Chilao

Anybody looking for a group ride drop me a line. We'll be doing this one tomorrow at 8:30 am.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Check your PM

Check your PM, I had a few questions but am interested in riding!

J

Quote Originally Posted by mtbski
    Anybody looking for a group ride drop me a line. We'll be doing this one tomorrow at 8:30 am.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I've just responded to your PM. See you there. Call me if you need further info.

It should be epic see you there!

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Ride Report

Hope you guys had a good ride today. Can you please provide a trail report and a short description of the route you took. Thanks!

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Sorry we missed you...

Went to bed early and didn't get the PM until this AM. Hope you had a good ride!

J
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbski
    I've just responded to your PM. See you there. Call me if you need further info.

It should be epic see you there!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend
    Hope you guys had a good ride today. Can you please provide a trail report and a short description of the route you took. Thanks!
    The trail is looking great, a little mud here and there, more stream crossings and rocky sections more rocky! The weather was perfect! I'll pm you the boring details of the route later today.

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Thanks for the impending boring details. I'm interested in knowing the conditions on the Silver Moc from Chilao to ,what is, Horse Camp. I read a post several months ago that it is VERY rocky and hardly rideable.

What bike do you ride MTBSKI? Did you attend the trail work day at La Tuna Canyon? I see you on the boards all the time, wondering if I've met you in person yet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Yep, that section is rocky!

I'm interested in knowing the conditions on the Silver Moc from Chilao to ,what is, Horse Camp. I read a post several months ago that it is VERY rocky and hardly rideable.

What bike do you ride MTBSKI? Did you attend the trail work day at La Tuna Canyon? I see you on the boards all the time, wondering if I've met you in person yet.
    The silver Moc from Chilao to Horse camp is now very rocky in parts but it is mostly all rideable it just depends on your skills and comfort level with rocks! I ride a little Burrito named speedy!!

Last edited by mtbski; 03-28-2005 at 02:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

La Tuna trail Maint

No I don't think we've met yet. I was out of town and missed the trail maint.

Oh yeah, when I'm not riding the burro I'm riding a titus switchblade in long travel mode with a Z1 up front. It rides over mostly anything. When I want more of a challenge I whip out the hardtail or rigid. This saturday I was running the swtchblade in short travel mode, 3.5" in back with 4" up front(air front & back). The rocky section was still mostly doable with this setup.
    Last edited by mtbski; 03-28-2005 at 03:01 PM.

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Meeting

Well then I look forward to meeting you in person sometime soon. I'd like to try attending more OTB rides in the future. The folks I've met so far have been really nice, like Hans. I'd like to attend the two day Angeles ride in May.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Epic Chilao

Well then I look forward to meeting you in person sometime soon. I'd like to try attending more OTB rides in the future. The folks I've met so far have been really nice, like Hans. I'd like to attend the two day Angeles ride in May.
    The two day epic is just that, EPIC. Of course the damage is all determined by your pace. Start with the fast group and go for broke or strategize and start early to survive to ride another day. We've had riders bonk and suffer from heat stroke, riders have even bonked on the 2nd day return ride which you would think is all down hill. But there is a lot of climbing on day 2 so watch out. Last year we started from the Palmdale side, literally in the desert and rode up to Chilao. The next day we took a variety of trails to get back to Civilization on the other side of the range. The terrain, weather, pace etc., always combine to make for a very interesting ride. This year we are starting out from Millard Campground, site of this years MWBA pancake breakfast. I'm not sure if we're climbing Alder this year but if we do get an early start!
    Last edited by mtbski; 03-28-2005 at 05:01 PM.

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Interesting. So you're going to start on the south side of the Angeles, ride to Chilao, then end up on the desert side. Sounds like fun either way.

Don't worry, I know I'm the turtle. Based on my ride to Inspiration Point with OTB I will not be with the front runners.