mtbr member

Is Chantry Flats Open?

I remember a section of the road to chantry flats trailhead was washed away due to last winter's heavy rainfall. Has the road been repaired? Or do people/riders still need to hike/ride the paved road for 3 miles uphill? Has anyone gone up lately?

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by esracer
    I remember a section of the road to chantry flats trailhead was washed away due to last winter's heavy rainfall. Has the road been repaired? Or do people/riders still need to hike/ride the paved road for 3 miles uphill? Has anyone gone up lately?

Thanks,
    A buddy of mine went last week on a road bike and had to bike up the paved road. He did make it all the way to the parking lot, so you can make it with a mountain bike. He said that they were just about finished with removing the last slide and didnt mind him being there.

According to dstepper there is mucho poison oak on upper and lower winter creek. If you go, give us an update please.

Over the Hill
    Talking about slides in that area, have they done any work on the slide that closed Mt. Wilson Tollroad?

The section that was overgrown with poison oak is the section of the Gabrielino once you leave Big Santa Anita Creek going up to Camp Sturtevant.

Winter Creek Trail does not get much sun and will have less PO. Although I have not been up there in over a month.

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Maybe others have gone farther back, but I haven't seen any progress the last few times I went there. Last time was about 3-4 wks ago.

And yeah, you can ride to Chantry flats, but they won't allow cars up the hwy yet.

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Update

I was up there two weeks ago. All the slides on the paved road have been cleared. The road looks to be in good condition.

I road Upper Winter Creek to just before Hogees Camp. The trail is a bit overgrown and a few small washouts but nothing bad. I road almost the entire thing, save a short section that has been washed out for over a year. The trail is covered in acorns. It actually makes riding difficult in some areas. I remember one section where the PO is bad. Other than that it's not too bad.

Unfortunately I had a bad crash on the downhill section just before Hogees. It was after the two switchbacks where the trail goes around a tree roots. I clipped my bars on a root and flew head first off the trail. You might notice a small rock ledge with rebar has been dislodged. I think I may have done that. I ended up with 8 stitches in my right shin. Rather than keep riding I decided to push my bike back to the top of the downhill section I just rode and roll back downhill to Chantry. What really ironic is that I finally cleared that 3 foot rock ledge at the top of the downhill leg (it wasn't pretty but I didn't walk for once). As I got ready to ride the ledge I though to myself 'maybe I shouldn't do this sense I'm by myself.' Turns out I would crash a few hundred yards down the trail. Oh well.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend
    I was up there two weeks ago. All the slides on the paved road have been cleared. The road looks to be in good condition.

I road Upper Winter Creek to just before Hogees Camp. The trail is a bit overgrown and a few small washouts but nothing bad. I road almost the entire thing, save a short section that has been washed out for over a year. The trail is covered in acorns. It actually makes riding difficult in some areas. I remember one section where the PO is bad. Other than that it's not too bad.

Unfortunately I had a bad crash on the downhill section just before Hogees. It was after the two switchbacks where the trail goes around a tree roots. I clipped my bars on a root and flew head first off the trail. You might notice a small rock ledge with rebar has been dislodged. I think I may have done that. I ended up with 8 stitches in my right shin. Rather than keep riding I decided to push my bike back to the top of the downhill section I just rode and roll back downhill to Chantry. What really ironic is that I finally cleared that 3 foot rock ledge at the top of the downhill leg (it wasn't pretty but I didn't walk for once). As I got ready to ride the ledge I though to myself 'maybe I shouldn't do this sense I'm by myself.' Turns out I would crash a few hundred yards down the trail. Oh well.
    Thanks for the update. Hope all is well and you heal fast.

mtbr member

Chantry Flats

Hey thanks for the reply.....I'll definately need to ride up there soon.

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by esracer
    Hey thanks for the reply.....I'll definately need to ride up there soon.
    Yeah, that trail is a natural orgasm

Just another Homer
    [QUOTE=dstepper]Talking about slides in that area, have they done any work on the slide that closed Mt. Wilson Tollroad?

I was told by a ranger that work will not begin on that till sometime late in 2006. I would think we could cut a trail through the exsisting slide,
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

Over the Hill
    I vote for a trail across the slide. I have been wanting to come down Idelhour Trail and the Wilson Tollroad slide has kept me from trying it.

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    I have been wanting to ride the Idlehour Trail as well. I would suggest riding Idlehour to Mt. Wilson Toll Rd., go up to the Mt. Wilson Trail. Mt. Wilson Trail ends in Sierra Madre. The trail is a bit sketchy up top but a good trail.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    [QUOTE=Pain Freak]
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    I would think we could cut a trail through the exsisting slide,
    Two bikers were rescued after they slide down the slide on the toll road when trying to cross to slide. Might want to reconsider. Do a search on this board for more info. It was several months ago.

Over the Hill
    Maybe you can help; as I see it, the problem coming down Idlehour then going back up Mt. Wilson Tollroad then down Wilson Trail, is that it involves a bunch of pavement back to where you parked. It just makes more sense to me to ride other trails that don't have all that asphalt.

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Maybe you can help; as I see it, the problem coming down Idlehour then going back up Mt. Wilson Tollroad then down Wilson Trail, is that it involves a bunch of pavement back to where you parked. It just makes more sense to me to ride other trails that don't have all that asphalt.
    You make a very good point and I agree totally. This is why I haven't ridden this trail. I, like you, tend to ride by myself, thus making it hard to do this ride. I see one of three options 1) ride with someone and shuttle the asphalt portion, 2) bight the bullet and bike the asphalt, or 3) park at the trailhead and call my wife to shuttle me back to my car.

The other option would be to ride all the way to the top of Mt. Wilson after riding Idlehour, ride down the asphalt to Mt. Lowe Fireroad and do Upper and Middle Merrill to Sunset Ridge. Now that's a hell of a loop. Umm, not a bad idea.

Another option with an even longer shuttle would be to ride down the Rattlesnake Trail from Mt. Wilson to Chantry. Always wanted to ride the Rattlesnake Trail. One day.

Good luck. Let me know if you want to hook up for one of these rides. Hope you're patient on the climbs though.

Over the Hill
    Another option with an even longer shuttle would be to ride down the Rattlesnake Trail from Mt. Wilson to Chantry. Always wanted to ride the Rattlesnake Trail.
    Rattlesnake is not mentioned on any of my maps, does it have another name?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

yeah

Rattlesnake is not mentioned on any of my maps, does it have another name?
    It is called Kenyon Devore Trail now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Rattlesnake loop with pavement

The loop I usually do to ride Rattlesnake:Start at Redbox and climb Mt. Dasappointment on the paved road. Take the connector trail to Mt Lowe raod. Go down to Mt Wilson rd and take it up to the start of Rattlesnake. Drop down Rattlesnake to the Gabrielino and take it back to Redbox. A few times when I've gotten to the Gab I've taken it to West Fork CG and taken the fireroad back up to Redbox. This loop does have a few miles of Pavement but it is all for climbing to get to singletrack.

mtbr member
    I have been wanting to ride the Idlehour Trail as well. I would suggest riding Idlehour to Mt. Wilson Toll Rd., go up to the Mt. Wilson Trail. Mt. Wilson Trail ends in Sierra Madre. The trail is a bit sketchy up top but a good trail.
    I've been wanting to do this ride, too. If anyone wants to go I could probably get us dropped off at Chaney and we could ride back to my house in Monrovia.

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Quote Originally Posted by STJunkie
    The loop I usually do to ride Rattlesnake:Start at Redbox and climb Mt. Dasappointment on the paved road. Take the connector trail to Mt Lowe raod. Go down to Mt Wilson rd and take it up to the start of Rattlesnake. Drop down Rattlesnake to the Gabrielino and take it back to Redbox. A few times when I've gotten to the Gab I've taken it to West Fork CG and taken the fireroad back up to Redbox. This loop does have a few miles of Pavement but it is all for climbing to get to singletrack.
    That's a really interesting loop. I know most of the trails you speak of wise one but have never though to link them together that way. The turn off to Mt. Disappointment is fairly close to Red Box correct? I've never gone up it. What is the trail like from Mt. D to Mt. Lowe Rd. like? Dirt? Singletrack?

10 sec. club member
    That's a really interesting loop. I know most of the trails you speak of wise one but have never though to link them together that way. The turn off to Mt. Disappointment is fairly close to Red Box correct? I've never gone up it. What is the trail like from Mt. D to Mt. Lowe Rd. like? Dirt? Singletrack?
    The trails starts at a gate just north of the Ranger station. Climb up the paved road till you reach a horseshoe right turn. Left on the dirt leads you to the S/T saddle. Right on the pavement takes you to the towers. Single track starts on the east corner. Its a pretty tame short S/T. We did it in the snow one year which made for an intersting and sketchy descent.
    Image hosted by TinyPic.com

Image hosted by TinyPic.com
    MySpace/IMALLSLO
    SoCals Foes and Kona dealer
    "Its a mystery wrapped in a riddle trapped in an enigma"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    "We did it in the snow one year which made for an intersting and sketchy descent."

I think it's sketchy without the snow. The trail goes mostly downhill so if you split onto a trail that starts climbing that is the one that goes up to the peak.

10 sec. club member
    Quote Originally Posted by STJunkie
    "We did it in the snow one year which made for an intersting and sketchy descent."

I think it's sketchy without the snow. The trail goes mostly downhill so if you split onto a trail that starts climbing that is the one that goes up to the peak.
    Im sure the White Tornado could handle it.
    MySpace/IMALLSLO
    SoCals Foes and Kona dealer
    "Its a mystery wrapped in a riddle trapped in an enigma"