Lindsay

Chantry Flats- Arcadia, California

Hey what's the deal with Chantry Flats? I heard that it is closed to all users. Is this the case? What's the deal..feel me in please.

Monica

mtbr member
    I tried calling today, but there was no answer.

In case anyone else wants to try, here is the ranger info:

Chantry Flats Info Station
    Sat-Sun. 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
    (626) 355-0712
    Buy products mentioned in this post: Roach Motels and Flowbee Hair Cutting System

Lindsay

Yo Bi*ch

Newsroom
    News Releases: 2004

2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 |
    [Image]: Forest Service Shield.
    News Release

USDA Forest Service

Angeles National Forest

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Chantry Flat Closure Brings Benefits for Visitors
    ARCADIA, CA: June 3, 2004

The road to the popular picnic area and trailhead at Chantry Flats will close on June 7, 2004 for much needed renovations that stand to increase visitor safety and reduce the need for future closures. Chantry Flats is located in the Angeles National Forest, north of Arcadia, CA. This inter-agency effort, scheduled for completion by Labor Day, will involve:

• City of Sierra Madre, which is replacing a major drainage system on the road;
    • City of Arcadia, which is reconstructing sections of the road that have washed out;
    • Los Angeles County, which is replacing a timber retaining wall damaged by fire and
    • USDA Forest Service, which will refurbish the picnic area and parking lot.

Chantry Road (officially Santa Anita Canyon Road) will be closed to the general public, including hiking and biking, while construction is ongoing. “We know people love this area and it’s a lengthy closure” said Sonja Bergdahl, Angeles National Forest engineer, “but the benefits will be well worth it. It will be a brand new site with brand new amenities.” Prominent changes to the area will include:

• Chantry Road becoming two-lanes in its entirety, which decreases travel time and makes the road accessible to large vehicles such as school busses;
    • new concrete pathways and picnic pads (18 of 24 wheel chair accessible);
    • 30 picnic tables and cooking grills (wheel chair accessible) and
    • additional restroom facilities.

The agencies involved in the project are coordinating renovation efforts to avoid multiple long- term closures. “This area is important to surrounding communities,” said Bruce Inman director of public works for Sierra Madre. “We want to close it once instead of four times. Considering the number of agencies involved we are progressing well.”

###

m o n i c a

MTB SOCAL

Sept 25

I took a drive up to Chantry today to see when it would be open. The sign at the bottom states that Chantry will be closed thru Sept 25.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

Lindsay

Upset That really sucks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well as of 9/19/04

I parked at the park & ride next to the gas station and rode the road up(its about 4 miles). Its like yangpei says the sign says open 9/25 but you can ride up and its actually better cuz theres no hikers. There were 3 trucks in the parking lot and they looked like workers but they didnt say anything to us.

The trails are really overgrown with poison oak/ivy and it seemed like it was impossible to finish the upper/lower winter creek without getting some of it rubbed on you.

Cheers