Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

chain lube for socal?

whats a good chain lube for the socal dust? ive tried : white lightning, triflow and prolink pro gold. so far best luck with prolink and white lightning. but after 2 rides my chain is still very gritty and black.
    1 hockey puck-$2
    1 mouthguard-$9
    8 missing teeth-$23K IOU from tooth fairy
    rattled brain forgetting impact-PRICELESS

Commit or eat sh!t
    I use Tri-Flow. Make sure you wipe down the chain with a rag several times to get all the lube off the outside the chain. You want the lube in the chain, not on the outside. This will also keep the dirt off the chain.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm still a White Lightning guy. I've found out that following the instructions makes a HUGE difference. Apply, let it dry, then ride. If you don't do that, they as the lubricant is still tacky, it acts as a dirt magnet!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by laackund
    whats a good chain lube for the socal dust? ive tried : white lightning, triflow and prolink pro gold. so far best luck with prolink and white lightning. but after 2 rides my chain is still very gritty and black.
    My favorite lubes have been Rock N Roll Gold and Prolink; I'm using Prolink now. It seems to last fairly well, though I apply it every ride or two. It's important to wipe it off well; that will help keep your chain from attracting dirt. Mine stays pretty clean.

Glad to Be Alive
    you will get a lot of different opinions.......I like Pedro's dry lube
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Baby-heads.... oh joy!
    Prolink Gold and Pedros Ice Wax. I have great success with both of these. The Pedros though is a little more difficult to clear off the chain when cleaning time comes around, but it isn't bad enough to deter me from using it.

So is your face
    I like RocknRoll Extreme lube. White Lightning is just so so IMO.
    IT'S NOT THE FALL THAT HURTS. IT'S WHEN YOU HIT THE GROUND.

Was that a Bobcat?
    I agree with Da-Sloth, Prolink Gold and Pedros Ice Wax are very good for this area. I usually use one or the other.

That's gonna leave a mark
    Prolink, Finish Line Dry, Rock N Roll Gold, Dumond Tech.
    TriFlow is a great lube, but the drivetrain gets really gunked up after a while. White Lightning original, Pedros Ice Wax and Pedros Dry never lasts more than 15-20 miles.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

just along for the ride
    I'm using the new Dumond Tech lite, the yellow banana smelling stuff. Its very dry wax treatment that really lasts more than any other wax based lube (like WL,Petros, Boeshields). Typically get over 30 miles before reapply and its takes very little to re-apply. It doesn't cake up like WL and really lasts, definately the next best waxy thing IMHO

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I like dumondae tech the green or if I'm riding where there is not gonna be any water crossings I'll slap on some popcorn oil (for air poppers) I tried using olive oil but it was to fattening.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Dupont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant, Maxima Chain Wax, Maxima Chain Guard, or Klotz KLR Chain Lube.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I use Break Free CLP. The kind in a drip bottle, not the aerosol spray found at walmart.

http://www.amazon.com/BREAK-FREE-CLP.../dp/B0000CD8YZ

Works for years in all my firearms and and paintball guns, which has rubber o-rings. Doesn't collect dust and keeps the chain smooth and quite. Keeps the black sticky crap and grease to a minimum.

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci-Fi
    Dupont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant, Maxima Chain Wax, Maxima Chain Guard, or Klotz KLR Chain Lube.
    DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant here, recommended for chains. I shake it up real good, don't use the tube to spray it on, and direct it at the joints of each bushing sparingly, one side of the chain at a time.

I will wipe down the chain before applying, spray it on sparingly, let it set up at least a 1/2 hour, then wipe it off the outside plates and go riding. This really keeps down on getting grit and dirt being attracted to the lubricant here in Southern California. About $5.00 a 12 oz. can.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

Baby-heads.... oh joy!
    Quote Originally Posted by papabear050
    I use Break Free CLP. The kind in a drip bottle, not the aerosol spray found at walmart.

http://www.amazon.com/BREAK-FREE-CLP.../dp/B0000CD8YZ

Works for years in all my firearms and and paintball guns, which has rubber o-rings. Doesn't collect dust and keeps the chain smooth and quite. Keeps the black sticky crap and grease to a minimum.
    Ahhh....the ole' cleaner Lubricant Preservative

I miss the smell of it, and of course firing my weapon

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I second the Dupont Teflon multi-use lube. $5 for a 16oz. can at Lowes, and it works better, IMO, than any other lube that I have tried.

No known cure
    Like SMT said, this is like asking someone to recomend a seat. I like T9 Boeshield. It's consistent from PNW rainforest to the moondust here in the San Bernardino Mts. Just shake the bottle and follow the directions. I perfer a drop per link rather than the spraycan. YMMV.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

lube

Astroglide was my favorite until I tried the silicone based stuff. That stuff rocks!

Baby-heads.... oh joy!
    "Whats up Big Perm, I mean Big Worm!"
    Friday

mtbr member
    I have used white lighting for over 15 years..it is THE BEST for dry So Cal...It just plain works..I SWEAR by it!..I am not sure how long it lasts but I use it about every 3rd or 4th ride & NEVER deal with cleaning my chain or cogs EVER! I ride a minimum of twice a week in the dirt with sometimes 4 times a week.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    I have never had good results with White Lightning, or any so-called "dry lube" for that matter. In my experience these lubes don't provide too much protection and drivetrain components can wear out much faster. YMMV.

I use either Phil's Tenacious Oil or the lightest weight synthetic motor oil I can find, apply it, let it soak in, then use a clean shop-rag to wipe off all the excess while turning the crank and running the chain through the towel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

smokey you better have my money

I was gonna keep astroglide a XX-secret tip but I guess I'm too stingy with the luvin

Was that a Bobcat?
    hey Kristatos... how is the synthetic motor oil in regards to attracting/repelling dirt to the chain? I may want to try this out, let me know.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by amor587
    hey Kristatos... how is the synthetic motor oil in regards to attracting/repelling dirt to the chain? I may want to try this out, let me know.
    I don't really notice any difference between the synthetic motor oil and the Phils Tenacious in terms of dirt attraction. The biggest difference for me is always when I am lazy and don't clean the excess off well enough b/c I am lubing the bike right before riding, then it gets dirty like hell. I think the Phil's Tenacious is nice because it comes in a bottle with a pretty nice applicator, but you can achieve the same putting any lube you buy into a medicine dropper or something similar.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have been using Tri-Flow after a top-notch mechanic recommended it, been happy. BUT, I do have CLP and am going to try that next time, "just to see".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast