Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Chain lube for dry SoCal conditions

What do you guys use?
    I came across these 2 which I've never tried.

- Rock N Roll Extreme Lube
    Rock n Roll Extreme Chain Lube Reviews

- Chain-L Lube Lube
    Chain-L Lube Lube Reviews
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chain lube for dry SoCal conditions-cantitoe_chain_l_lube.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

official eMpTyBRain
    I hear good things about Rock-n-roll. I've used many, they were all good.

IMO, use whatever has been working for you. The truth is, you may have to relube after every ride. Learn to look and listen for the signs of a drying out chain and relube as needed.

mtbr member
    I used a bottle of the rock n roll stuff. Didn't notice it was any better than anything else except that it costs more. I use the finish line teflon dry lube now and I love it. I've noticed that the dirt and dust doesnt stick to it like other lube and it lasts about 40 miles. I still scrub the chain and relube it after every ride and I don't wipe the excess off so it can soak in to the chain over night.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I've used Rock n Roll ( a different version), it was good. But not so good I kept using it. I used Prolink for many years and liked it, too. I think it was pretty similar to Rock n Roll but cheaper and more readily available. But recently I discovered Squirt. I read lots of great reviews about it here on mtbr. I was a bit skeptical, but gave it a try. It is great! Doesn't attract any dirt - my chain is cleaner than ever. It lasts for several rides, longer than the other lubes I've used. I highly, highly recommend it.

Front Range, Colorado
    I've tried quite a few different ones and the Rock and Roll extreme works the best. Although it seems like I go through a bottle a lot quicker than other lubes. I think that is due to it being such a fine liquid. It goes on like water, and the directions tell you to pour it on and wipe it off. So after you wipe it off it seems like you don't have enough on so I sometimes feel like I need to repeat the procedure. But it does work the best that I have found for our dry conditions. What's great is that it doesn't gunk up like most other ones.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^Rock Garden

Front Range, Colorado
    I agree about the Finish Line dry lube. I tried it a few years back but I don't know where I got it. Do you know where to get it around San Diego?
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    In San Diego, I use Finish Line Ceramic Wax Lube. I find it works better than the standard Finish Line Wax Lube

Finish Line - Bicycle Lubricants and Care Products

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    I agree about the Finish Line dry lube. I tried it a few years back but I don't know where I got it. Do you know where to get it around San Diego?
    I have purchase it at Black Mountain Bicycles, but usually just pick it up on Amazon.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by S:Drive View Post
    I have purchase it at Black Mountain Bicycles, but usually just pick it up on Amazon.
    Great thanks! I can't believe I never saw it at Black Mountain bikes. Cool because from what I remember it was better than Rock and Roll.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Great thanks! I can't believe I never saw it at Black Mountain bikes. Cool because from what I remember it was better than Rock and Roll.
    Also REI

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

DIY lube?

Anyone tired making lube themselves?

I use Rock n Roll Gold at the moment, but have just bought some 'wax and grease remover' (similar to shellite) which is a petroleum distillate (like listed on the label of RnR) and plan on disolving some parrafin and beeswax into it.
    Apparently using straight parrafin ends up with the wax just flaking off once the solvent has evaporated.

Anyone tried a successful formula? I ride on dry dusty trails and hate the chain clogging up quickly.

mtbr member
    Used many, but I find ProLink gold to be the best, in terms of ease, lack of attracted dirt, resistance to wash-off in splashy stream crossings and how well I think it works. Rock-n-Roll is good stuff, so is Dumonde Tech and T-9, etc...but ProLink just plain works really well in SoCal for dusty conditons and the occasional water crossing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I use the rock n roll gold, along with the shop i work at using it on every bike that comes through e door for sevice, and everyone else that works at the shop. It gets used for both road ad mountain for everyday use. If its wet out we may end up using the extreme, otherwise gold all the way.

I do what I want
    I've tried several over my 20+ yrs riding and my fav is Pedros Ice Wax.

Ive been curious to try that Chain-L, but I cant find a reason other than curiousity.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Chain-L works well. It's a sticky lube though, but lasts. I'm back using 4 bucks a quart chainsaw lube from Home Depot. Been using it on a 10 speed chain for around 6 mo.Lube every 50 mi./ I always run a rag over the chain after every ride. No issues.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    I've been using Finish Line (Wet conditions) for the last year and really like it. I usually lube before every ride, but if I don't--it's fine.

I usually get it at Performance.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    I've been using this stuff for a while and really like it: Dumonde Tech Lite.

And a 2nd review: 2nd Review.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    check out GNAR Lube...

Gnar Lube | IF IT SQUEEKS LUBE IT, IF IT ROLLS RIDE IT! - gnarlube.com

and check their media section for the proper way to apply - you won't be disappointed...
    Simi Cycling Center
    Simi's Premier Bicycle Shop, Since 1975
    Specialized, Giant and More...

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney View Post
    check out GNAR Lube...

Gnar Lube | IF IT SQUEEKS LUBE IT, IF IT ROLLS RIDE IT! - gnarlube.com

and check their media section for the proper way to apply - you won't be disappointed...
    Never heard of that one. But after checking out thier site it looks more like a hyped up name. Looks like there is more interest in putting their logo on a clothing line than spending money on product testing. Come up with a lube and market it as flashy as possible and it will sell to the "in" crowd. No thanks! I will stick to tested and proven products.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    ProLink gold

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ProLink Gold here, good stuff.

Best, John

b a n n e d
    I've used A.T.B. Red (Absolutely The Best) for the past year at the rec of a trusted wrench. It works fairly well, though I do need to reapply every other ride . . . however, it does seem to attract a fair bit of dirt. I'm going to try something else when this bottle runs out. I have a free sample of Chain-L and a new chain that needs to get put on the bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    A buddy turned me onto White Lightning. Stuff works great and keeps the chain pretty clean. $8 at my LBS.

So Cal Slayin'
    I prefer to use rock n roll extreme or prolink gold. I'll just buy whichever one I can find cheaper, which has been prolink lately.

XC Hack
    Dec 2011
    What do you guys think of Pedro's Ice Wax? I think the old formula (I think they've changed it from like 4-5 years ago) was better. This stuff seems to burn off in only one ride (like 6-10 miles).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast