mtbr member

Central Coast rider looking for new bike

Okay maybe this is the wrong forum but I am looking for replies from people that live around Slo area. I have been riding on off the last few years on a 96 fisher steal hard tale that is to small for me. I ride locally in Orcutt and make trips to MDO and Lopez every soften but want to expand. I am really trying to keep my budget under 2G, leaning toward a 29er. I have been looking at the Kona Honzo because I like the slacker geometry. I have also parking lot rode a Camber and Trance X 29er. I am not a hucker but enjoy small drops and such. So the old question comes up again FS or Hardtail? I am sure any new bike would be an upgrade for me. Thanks in advance.

Ridin' Furry
    Hard question to answer for sure but for that price range you will get better components on a HT then a full suspension in the same price range! I am not a super fast downhiller so i went with a Specialized Stumpjumper comp HT 29er. Cost me 1600 and upgraded it with a better wheelset (Spynergy Xyclones). Does great for XC and it can take some light drops and rock gardens just fine! Demo more bikes if you can.

~Just my 2 cents

Life Is Short
    Giant Trance. An all-around xlnt bike IMO, proven geometry and a good climber. The Specialized 29er SJ is my second choice. Both bikes have been through the tech mill, improving little things every year. And each company is huge so there's a lot of $$$ that goes into R & D. I like Giant because they aren't as evil as a company as Specialized.
    Ride More, Eat More

official eMpTyBRain
    What is terrain like where you ride now? If your steal bike handles it fine, then a modern hardtail will probably feel like a God-send to you.

However, if you see yourself expanding your skill and wanting to venture out and try new dirt, you should go with an efficient FS bike so that you will be ready for anything. I think Giant's Maestro suspension design is better for efficiency than Spesh's FSR design.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation