trail rat

CCCMB Super Bowl Sunday Appetite Seminar THIS Sunday Feb. 7 @ Montana de Oro

Here is the Super Bowl Sunday Appetite Seminar, hosted every year at Montana de Oro State Park. You can learn how to burn off all those additional calories that you will consume in the afternoon watching the Super Bowl!

WHAT:
    This is a CCCMB Trail Work Day at Montana de Oro State Park

WHEN:
    This coming Sunday, February 7. 2010 at 8:00am.

WHERE:
    We will meet at the State Park Headquarters / Visitor Center , just above Spooner's Cove

CAR POOL SIGN UPS:
    We are arranging car pools from San Luis Obispo to Montana de Oro, if you need, or can provide a ride, please let us know.

DETAILS:
    We will serve you breakfast snacks with coffee, water, juice. Bring water and gloves, long pants, boots. We will provide all tools. Crew leaders will explain and coach you all along. We just need enthusiastic volunteers like you.

You can join or renew your CCCMB membership and receive a pair of the new CCCMB logo socks. We will have swag, sunglasses for everyone, bells for mountain bike riders, and drawings for nice prizes and gift cards donated by local shops.

We do trail work even if it rains, the forecast is good, but be prepared. The wildflowers are blooming, and the views are fantastic from the trails.

MAINTENANCE:
    We are working on the Hazard Peak Trail. The upper parts of this trail have not had maintenance since it was built two years ago.

We will be reestablishing grade reversals for water dispersal, rebuilding narrow sagged tread to achieve proper width and out slope, and reconstructing rolling drain dips to keep water from eroding the trail tread.

We hope to see you all there, building that Appetite at the upcoming Seminar.

Thank you

CCCMB
    Montana de Oro Regional Trail Crew
    http://www.cccmb.org/regional-work-crews

CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Isn't that like a cow bell that rings all the time? I would need prozac after that ride. But it looks cool.

trail rat
    It is on velcro. Put it in your pack. Ride to top of hill. Put bell on your bike. Ride down. Take bell off your bike. Put bell in your pack. Repeat each ride. Other trail users like the warning.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    It is on velcro. Put it in your pack. Ride to top of hill. Put bell on your bike. Ride down. Take bell off your bike. Put bell in your pack. Repeat each ride. Other trail users like the warning.
    Sounds like those bells are a good idea on these trails. I change my mind!
    Last edited by jimbowho; 02-13-2010 at 06:09 PM.

Geritol Power
    Nice socks Tim

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall
    Nice socks Tim
    I am looking forward to getting mine tomorrow and getting them dirty! I have only see a cardboard sample and the photo.

You healed and riding? Pretty wet here, but looks like my work day tomorrow will avoid the rain.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

Geritol Power
    You healed and riding?
    Yes sir. Very happy to be back on the bike. Just have to lose the 15 lbs I found sitting on my fanny for a couple months. Holidays didn't help with all that food.
    Pretty wet here,
    No kidding. I think we got another 2 inches in San Diego today. I even skipped the Ellsworth demo at North of the Border Bike Shop today. I was soaked and freezing after several hours at my youngest's water polo tournament this morning.

I hope the weather gives you guys a break for your trail day. Good luck

trail rat
    Our annual big trail day. About 135 volunteers came out to work. Equestrians, hikers, mountain bikers, trail runners, outdoor trail enthusiasts all, came out to work in the dirt. Thank you everyone for supporting the wonderful trails we have in San Luis Obispo county. You all make a tremendous contribution.

From Montana de Oro - Feb 2010 Super Bowl Sunday

From Montana de Oro - Feb 2010 Super Bowl Sunday
    Last edited by slocaus; 02-09-2010 at 04:58 PM.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Round of applause for all the hard work you guys did at MdO ...one point to complain about though...no warnings were given about the trail changes.

Today I climbed up the back side of Ridge and then down Hazzard...holy crap , I almost ate it when all of a sudden I came up on some really narrow stone zig-zags around those blind curves the efore the Euc grove. We weren't moving at break-neck speed, but my friends wife who was with us was totally caught off guard as well and almost crashed.

Maybe in the future we can get some posted warnings about trail changes?

I'm assuming those were installed to regulate speed, maybe? or was it erosion control?

trail rat
    Well, posting signs in the State Parks takes multiple committees and lots of time, another can of worms, or hornets nest, really.

They are for speed, each gets progressively narrower as a warning.

A biker hit someone recently, and another incident happened with a docent who leads hikes in the park; someone almost fell off the trail in that section after almost being hit by a cyclist going too fast who made no attempt to yield. Many emails have gone all the way to the top in Sacramento. Now the State Park Trails Committee wants to review MTB use there. We had just begun a big push to open access to the closed trails south of Islay creek.

Now there is a mounted ranger patrolling that trail, were he was never out there; before he just worked below Pecho Valley Rd and down to the beach. That ranger will be writing tickets for bikes going too fast and not yielding right of way. This is a big setback after 24 years of great relationships with the State Parks and CCCMB.

The Parks Service requested some solution immediately, those chicanes were installed to control speed. They are visible from up the trail, and as I said, they get progressively narrower. They were what we could come up with, and are not perfect, nor are they the final product. They are in response to what could potential stop bike access to the most popular train in the county.

We know that over 95% of the bike traffic on that trail climbs it from the parking lot and then descends back down, so they see the changes going up. We have several requests for signage under review with the Trails Committee now; I'll suggest we do as you say. In reality, it takes years for those requests to be reviewed and approved, if they are ever approved.

Sorry to hear that your friends wife had trouble, and thanks for the feedback. This is a major topic for discussion in our monthly meeting next week.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    What if a laminated notice just showed up stapled to the trail marker at the bottom of Ridge?

I had no idea of the accidents involving hikers. I can understand it though, as that corner always had been a concern of coming up on somebody too fast. I always yell out as I come around in case they still haven't heard my noisy freehub.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Dumb question: Is bell use something that is viable at MdO to help warn hikers? I agree it does come down to the rider staying in control, and a bell doesn't replace riders using common sense. But it may help mitigate an possibly ugly situation.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisRayner
    What if a laminated notice just showed up stapled to the trail marker at the bottom of Ridge?

I had no idea of the accidents involving hikers. I can understand it though, as that corner always had been a concern of coming up on somebody too fast. I always yell out as I come around in case they still haven't heard my noisy freehub.
    The fact that we just cleaned up the trail and made it faster is compounding things as well. We just have to work with it. Spread the word on the chicanes, and we will modify them as needed. I am going to ride it tomorrow for the first time, we just build the second and third ones on Tuesday.

I doubt an impromptu sign would be a problem, though I am personally skeptical that most riders see the signs, except the ones right at the trail head. I want to put "please do not use these trails in the mud" on big logging chains across the trail entrance. Another story. None of us from CCCMB will put up signs because the Parks would know it was us.

Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    Dumb question: Is bell use something that is viable at MdO to help warn hikers? I agree it does come down to the rider staying in control, and a bell doesn't replace riders using common sense. But it may help mitigate an possibly ugly situation.
    That is why we gave out so many bells, hoping that enough riders will get them on their bikes to warn others. We have a bell program similar to what SB does on a couple trails in town, Paul. MdO SP wants a bell program, but again, the red tape is sooo tedious, but that is in the works too, and has been for over a year.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

Geritol Power
    I use a bear bell from REI and always hear "Thanks for using a bell" or "I like your bell" from other trail users.

That makes me happy.

On the other hand (off topic) a guy speeding on a sport bike nearly hit my huge truck today on a crowded freeway and then flipped me the bird like I was inconveniencing him by driving on his raceway.

So I suppose my point is...idiots are everywhere.

That makes me not as happy.