mtbr member
    May 2011

Caution. Jdrop Rangers tickets

Camp bottom trail

mtbr member
    Me and a buddy were turned around this AM by them. They said it's a $380 fine if you get caught riding that trail. Also said they are not required to signage the trail if it is not bike friendly. Go figure. Jason I think we ran into your group (I had the white FF and the Pivot). Nice to unofficially meet you!
    Rob

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Lol Heya I posted from trail. Good meeting you we should ride some time

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robncircus View Post
    Also said they are not required to signage the trail if it is not bike friendly.
    This sounds pretty dubious to me.

I don't think I've ever seen ranger out in SoCal doing anything other than giving tickets.
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    First off, congrats on actually encountering a ranger on the trail. I think you have more chance of seeing a mountain lion these days.
    And I can't think of a more boneheaded/shortsighted move than trying to get bikes off J-drop. So they'd prefer we instead keep going down into Will Rogers and mix it up with the 10,000 hikers/horses/children/elderly down there? We do everyone a favor getting off at J-drop, which has clear sight lines and hardly any hikers.

mtbr member
    ^^^what Bbbrad said.
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Since when is any government agency logical or rational?

Will Rogers backbone trail is pretty boring now that they flattened it except for one section which is really fast and has these mini mounds on them about 8 to 10

On a couple with a good well timed pop i already managed to get about 15 feet distance jumps in.

Once the Rangers are done doing whatever cleanup they are doing, if somehow 12 inch high little ramps were to appear at the top of each mound that would be a pretty wicked jump section

Stray Bullet
    Rangers on J-Drop, whack!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bbbrad View Post
    First off, congrats on actually encountering a ranger on the trail. I think you have more chance of seeing a mountain lion these days.
    And I can't think of a more boneheaded/shortsighted move than trying to get bikes off J-drop. So they'd prefer we instead keep going down into Will Rogers and mix it up with the 10,000 hikers/horses/children/elderly down there? We do everyone a favor getting off at J-drop, which has clear sight lines and hardly any hikers.
    I agree it seems super short sighted to me. What are the alternatives? Ride through will rogers with all the hikers and bike up sunset? I'll take my chances with the ticket thanks. At least I'll live lol

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Hey, someone's gotta pay for this piece of crap we call Sacramento.
    If not biking, then what?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rodgerdodger View Post
    I agree it seems super short sighted to me. What are the alternatives? Ride through will rogers with all the hikers and bike up sunset? I'll take my chances with the ticket thanks. At least I'll live lol
    I did that yesterday, I wouldn't recommend it. That section of Sunset is especially scary on a bike.

29er for the Soul
    I am still learning that part of the Santa Monica's.

Is J- Drop anywhere near where the lady on the white horse was? Just wondering if its connected.
    So Cal Rod

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    They're all pretty close. From West to East it goes: Backbone Blvd / J-Drop Rangers / Sullivan Ridge Fwy / Crazy White Horse Lady (aka Sullivan Blvd - often closed) / Westridge Fireroad / Dr. Death Canyon / Whoop-de-doos / 405 fwy...welcome to the SM...

29er for the Soul
    Quote Originally Posted by Bbbrad View Post
    They're all pretty close. From West to East it goes: Backbone Blvd / J-Drop Rangers / Sullivan Ridge Fwy / Crazy White Horse Lady (aka Sullivan Blvd - often closed) / Westridge Fireroad / Dr. Death Canyon / Whoop-de-doos / 405 fwy...welcome to the SM...
    I was tired when I posted. I should have been more precise. I was wondering if the rangers on J- Drop were connected to the lady on the white horse. I was wondering if she had contacted the rangers, and that's why they started monitoring J-Drop.

If she wasn't hassling anyone near J- Drop, then I would assume she's not connected with the rangers being there.

Cheers
    So Cal Rod