mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Catalina riding - no bikes on ferry from Newport

Just read in The Log that the Catalina Flyer from Newport Beach will be out of service for awhile, and the temporary replacement ferry has no room for bikes. Word from the Flyer folks:

"Because of the replacement boat’s size we won’t be taking bicycles or coolers till the Catalina Flyer is returned to service. We do thank you for your understanding."

No word when the Flyer will be back in service - probably several months.

I'm bummed because I wanted to do a Catalina trip soon, and the Flyer is just a 10 minute ride from home.

You can still take bikes on the Catalina Express from San Pedro, Long Beach, or Dana Point, and on "the other Flyer" from Marina Del Rey.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Good luck with the ferry from MDR. I would say thaey have cancelled on me as often as it has run. Last time, they flat out lied and told me the entire weekend was sold out but once I got to Catalina, the sign at the dock said it was out of service.

I really wish they could get it together!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Catalina Express (LB, DP, or SP) is the only way to go!

Beer Please!
    I want to go to Catalina with my wife soon, she has never been. I never even thought about bringing my bike too, sounds like a killer idea.

Is the riding out there pretty easy? My wife has a bike, but has limited skills, fireroads are about all she can handle.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Fireroads are what Catalina is all about. You must make a "donation" to the Catalina Island nature conservancy, but it goes to a good cause, so one must pay to play. With an early start and some decent endurance, the 33 mile ride to Two Harbors is a real nice way to spend the day. Then jump on board, with your bike, the boat back to Avalon. I've done this three different years all during Oct while attending the Jazz Fest. Nice time of year to do this. Then after the ride, a dinner and jazz show!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    It is all road but there is a lot of climbing and some of it is pretty steep. The first three miles of bad pavement out of Avalon is the worst climb by far! But it is a great way to see the interior of the island. If you need a good rest spot, turn in to the airport. Nice views and a cafe with killer cookies! Beyond that, it is dirt all the way to Two Harbors.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have been thinking about riding from Two Harbors to Avalon and staying overnight. Not having been there in a while is that a worse ride or better one?

CEB
    No horse'n round
    There is no worse or better..... I have never ridden Two Harbors to Avalon.

Granted the first 3-4 miles out of Avalon are UP, seems to me the remainder of the ride was "level" and rolling up and mostly DOWN to two Harbors. YES, there was plenty of uphill on the way to Two Harbors, esp from Little Harbor to the lookout over Two Harbors. Either way should be a glorious way to spend a day.

Probably a bit more "relaxed" to make the ride start in Two Harbos since you aren't dependent on a boat ride back in case you take the uber slow pace

Beer Please!
    Man sounds like a blast, I had no idea Catalina was 33 miles long. I went once as a kid, but my family had a boat and we stayed at Twin Harbors, never got to see Avalon.

I doubt my wife could handle 33 miles even "if" most of it is flat, but we could prob do a there and back for a good 8-10 miles round trip.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thepepboys
    I have been thinking about riding from Two Harbors to Avalon and staying overnight. Not having been there in a while is that a worse ride or better one?
    I'd say the climb out of Avalon is harder, especially because you just got off a boat and there are no warm-up miles. But the total is the same either way.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Don't be fooled! It is really either up or down other than the five miles or so along the ridge to the airport which rolls along nicely. I have ridden both directions and think it is harder from Avalon but only because of the first hill. According to our Garmin, it is 22.3 miles and about 4,000 feet of climbing each way.

The advantage of starting in Two Harbors is that there are lots of rooms in Avalon. Two Harbors has one hotel with less than 10 rooms There are plenty of campsites if you want to bike pack or pull a bob trailer (neither is my idea of fun). The down side to starting in Two Harbors is the ferries run less frequently so you need to keep an eye on the schedule so you will not miss it on your return to Two Harbors.. Still, quite doable and you can make a nice day of the ride with a stop at Little Harbor and the airport to soak up the views. And you just might see the buffalo or a Catalina Island fox! I don't think it is a good ride for a novice though. The climbs are long and steep. Not fun if you aren't fit and willing to hurt. There is a nice flat ride along the coast in Two Harbors out to Emerald Bay. Otherwise, there isn't much that doesn't climb. If you used Little Harbor as your turn around point from Two Harbors, it might work if your wife is fit.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    When I rode there, we made the left turn just about a 1/2 mile after topping out from Avalon down some dirt road that took us thru the center of the island and to a nature conservancy center. Now THAT was a rough up hill out of that "detour" that helped add miles and elevation. We came across an eagle enclosure.....ck out the pic. Caught the raptor mid air!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Catalina riding - no bikes on ferry from Newport-eagle.jpg