mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Catalina Island riding trails

I have plans to visit Catalina Island next week for my birthday. Can someone please tell me what's the best loop to do there that will give me the best view/tour of the whole island in a day trip? I would prefer to climb and downhill out kind of loop if possible. Thanks!

official eMpTyBRain
    Trail riding on the island is basically off limits. If you want to ride off road, you'll be on fire roads. Find a map of the island and you'll see where to ride, where to go.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Ride from Avalon to Two Harbors. Once there (33 miles on dirt road, plenty of elevation gain and loss along the way), get a cheeseburger and beer. Chill on the beach and jump on the 3:00 boat (bike is ok!) back to Avalon! Lots of great sights along the way.

mtbr member
    I was thinking about this same thing last Sunday. What's the best way to get a bike to and from the island? Does the Catalina Express take bikes?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CEB View Post
    Ride from Avalon to Two Harbors. Once there (33 miles on dirt road, plenty of elevation gain and loss along the way), get a cheeseburger and beer. Chill on the beach and jump on the 3:00 boat (bike is ok!) back to Avalon! Lots of great sights along the way.
    Thanks that's the route I was planning to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    I was thinking about this same thing last Sunday. What's the best way to get a bike to and from the island? Does the Catalina Express take bikes?
    Catalina Express is the one I'm going on, you just have to pay $7 to bring a bike. They are offering free round trip ticket on your birthday this year so that's why I am going.
    I was able to find 3 routes from the Catalina Grand Fondo ride from a couple of months ago:

Geoladders -- Catalina Grand Fondo Middle Island Route
    Geoladders -- Catalina Grand Fondo Ridge Line Route
    Geoladders -- Catalina Grand Fondo Two Harbors Route

I am still debating my ability to ride 50 miles with 8k elevation gain in 2 days.... since I will be carrying all my gear for overnight camping as well at two harbour or just stealth camping along the beach. I may just stick to the first route since it's manageable and still be enjoyable but it won't hit the two harbours as far as I can tell. Since I'm going on a weekday the earliest ferry is at 10am and I won't be getting on the island until noon and that cuts a lot of riding time out and the following day the last ferry leaves around 6pm.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    They have a limit on how many bikes are allowed on each boat ride so make sure you get reservations before you head down there.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation