Thread: Catalina Island

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Catalina Island

I'm movng to Catalina Island and was wondering if anyone has ridden over there? I know all about the Conservancy requirements, but I don't know much about the riding.

Thanks for our help!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoetucker
    I'm movng to Catalina Island and was wondering if anyone has ridden over there? I know all about the Conservancy requirements, but I don't know much about the riding.

Thanks for our help!
    Found this little write up on the riding available on Catalina.

http://www.singletrackmind.com/Trail...rnia_Index.htm

34N 118W

moving?!

Thanks for our help!
    wow. that's kinda cool. Working or retired?

I went there to ride one weekend and was limited to the fireroads betw. Avalon and Twin Harbors. Was told to stay off the singletrack. I'm not sure what the poaching situation is there, so otherwise it's miles and miles of nice stutter-bumped fireroads. With cars passing you. And buffalo watching you ride by. That part was kinda cool.

good luck -
    HW

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks you guys! I'm moving to the island for work. I am the new (and first!) Director of Sales and Chief Marketing Officer for the Santa Catalina Island Company.

I appriciate your help. I'm sure I'll know the island pretty well by next summer.

Take care,

Brad

mtbr member
    ...I appriciate your help. I'm sure I'll know the island pretty well by next summer...
    Congrats on the job!

It's different lifestyle on Catalina. I think main landers can learn alot from the Catalina lifestyle : water conservation, garbage disposal conscious, bicycle as means of transport.

When you get all settled in, maybe organize a ride and invite us main landers out there. Always wanted to explore the island.
    Give me a big scoop of Manteca!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Maybe you could Market mountain biking on the island and get some of the single track opened up for us Mainlanders

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Smile

Thanks for our help!
    I grew up on Catalina and I can tell you that historically it has not been a very Mt. Bike friendly place, which is a shame because of the amaizing scenery. Currently, mountain bikers are relegated to a minute portion of what are simply wide flat fireroads. There is no legal single-track for bikers at this time. Another big drag is that riding anywhere outside of the city limits (Avalon & Two Harbors) requires the purchase of a bicycle permit. The permit is good for the year and runs about $120 a pop (ouch! especially if you only visit once).

This is changing for the better however, as IMBA has been working together with the Conservency to better educate them on the benefits of welcoming mountain bikers to the island. In fact, they recently opened (Sept. 2004) the East End trail system to mountian bikers. Needless to say, I was shocked!

I will confess that I have ridden a few hikers only trails on the island, but am hoping that this will all change with the support of IMBA. I was little miffed to find that they allowed only hikers and horseriders on these trails, but not mountain bikers. I was pretty upset because it seemed pretty discriminatory. Horses have much more impact than bikes ever could! I really think it has to do with non-riders impression of mountian bikers. That we're all of buch of rude downhill speedfreaks who don't give a rip about the trails much less the environment.

I won't name it, but there is a semi-single track trail that runs through the mountains around Avalon. It winds in a challenging set of switchbacks from the top of the mountain, to the valley floor. One of the funnest downhills I have ever ridden. The qulality of the trail was amazing. Have fun and keep your fingers crossed that it will be open to all of us repsonsible riders.

members only
    Ya, like Shark said... I fell in love with the place in the late 60's.
    Actually I didn't visit Avalon until the early 70's. When I was younger visited all around the island with my father on his sailboat...
    Didn't ride a Mt. Bike there until the mid-90's...
    Cost wasn't $120 at that time, I think it's gone up every year, dang stupid "pass"...

If (the powers that be) realize how much $$$ bikers could bring the Island they would re-think opening up specific trails in a hurry - they need the money in the off-season.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ET_SoCal
    Ya, like Shark said... I fell in love with the place in the late 60's.
    Actually I didn't visit Avalon until the early 70's. When I was younger visited all around the island with my father on his sailboat...
    Didn't ride a Mt. Bike there until the mid-90's...
    Cost wasn't $120 at that time, I think it's gone up every year, dang stupid "pass"...

If (the powers that be) realize how much $$$ bikers could bring the Island they would re-think opening up specific trails in a hurry - they need the money in the off-season.
    My point exactly ET. I think if the word gets out, local folks will support riding on the island like crazy. It's funny, most people who go to Catalina don't know that there's a whole world outside of Avalon. Most don't even know about Two Harbors (which is a good thing I guess). Two Harbors is more of a boater's paradise. I have ridden from Avalon to Two Harbors a couple of times, but using the main paved and fireroads.

There is a new rumor that if everything starts working out with the IMBA support, there are plans to build a new singletrack trail that basically takes you across the island. How great would that be!?

We just need to do our best to represent mountain bikers when visiting the island. Most locals are not that familiar with serious mountain bikers. They just need to know that we work very hard to preserve the environment and support groups likes IMBA who make this stuff possible.

members only
    Quote Originally Posted by shark_hugger
    .... I have ridden from Avalon to Two Harbors a couple of times, but using the main paved and fireroads...
    How long does that take? 3 hours? Guess in the middle of summer heat it might be longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by shark_hugger
    ....There is a new rumor that if everything starts working out with the IMBA support, there are plans to build a new singletrack trail that basically takes you across the island. How great would that be!?...
    Wow, that would be great, only issue is there's only a few places to re-fill w/ water.
    Imagine ...