mtbr member

Castaic Lake-Conditions?

Hi SoCal,

I will be down racing XTerra at Castaic this weekend. Any reviews on trail conditions would be MUCH appreciated.

My main question is whether or not I should ride my Titus RacerX or Airborne hardtail????

Tires??? Hutchinson Python 2.0s or Panaracers FireXC 1.8s.

I'll be pre-riding the course Saturday and will have both sets of tires with me, but don't know which bike to bring. Damn, the drawback of having more than one rig.

Thanks,
    Chris
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, holy crap, what a ride!!" - author unknown

mtbr member
    my buds rode it a few weeks ago, they said > "The Castaic XC course is kinda messed up in a couple of places. The climb out of the lake loop was recently graded but a hard packed line is starting to develop. The big problem is the climb up to Green Box. The brush on the surrounding hillsides were cut almost flush to the ground and most of the crap has settled on the trail. Someone from Sunday's ride says its probably what it would be like to riding inside a hamster cage with all the stuff that covers the floor.

Considering there's a race there next month, I imagine the course will start gradually getting better in the coming weeks.<<

I would say hardtail and smooth rolling tires.

scott

mtbr member
    Thanks Scott.

Chris
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, holy crap, what a ride!!" - author unknown

R.I.P. DogFriend

Ain't that the truth

Quote Originally Posted by scottay
    The big problem is the climb up to Green Box. The brush on the surrounding hillsides were cut almost flush to the ground and most of the crap has settled on the trail. Someone from Sunday's ride says its probably what it would be like to riding inside a hamster cage with all the stuff that covers the floor.

scott

My son sucked a stick into his drivetrain on that climb about a month ago and destroyed a brand new derailleur and hanger. We haven't been on it since, but I would watch out for the debris.