Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    913

    Carrizo Gorge/In-Ko-Pah

    I friend and I are going out to Valley of The Moon (near In-Ko-Pah east of San Diego) this weekend. Any good places to ride? Anybody know if the Carrizo gorge Railway is running? Is the Lark Canyon OHV any good?

  2. #2
    Lord of the Chainrings
    Reputation: Mudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    2,926
    Just ask Miles. He knows that gorge top to bottom!
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

    ~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

  3. #3
    CEB
    CEB is offline
    No horse'n round
    Reputation: CEB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,138
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeNeverwinter
    I friend and I are going out to Valley of The Moon (near In-Ko-Pah east of San Diego) this weekend. Any good places to ride? Anybody know if the Carrizo gorge Railway is running? Is the Lark Canyon OHV any good?
    I "rode" BOTH the Valley and The Corrizo RR in the same day. VOT Moon is a crazy land with huge boulders strewn about and roads that course between them. Not a lot of miles to be had, but some insane photo opps. Then we went over to the Jacumba Exit, parked by the gas station and went for an out and back to Goat Trestle bridge. YES, the trains do run. Take lights for the tunnels.

    Have fun.... should be HOT HOT HOT this weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    913
    How clsoe have you gotten while the train is running? How much warning did you have before a train was on top of you? Have you ever been stop by the Police?

    P.S. I have camped Vall Of The Moon many many times before. Just figured I'd bring the bikes to get to Smuggler's gave faster and to explore the far valley that you can see form Elliot's Mine.

  5. #5
    I <3 Dirt
    Reputation: mealsonwheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    709
    Valley of the Moon has excellent sport climbing, and would be fun on a moto but not a bike in my opinion. Plenty of sand and it's primarily doubletrack. There was an illegal alien trail littered with trash that I found years ago which could possibly be converted into a cool trail, but I'd be careful out there with all of the human trafficking and drug trafficking.

    Lark Canyon is pretty cool for motos, but again I'm not sure about mtn bikes. Plenty of moto traffic to contend with and the trails are beat up by motos as well. Fun climbing out there too if you into bouldering. A classic bolt ladder that I remember aiding in high school.

  6. #6
    CEB
    CEB is offline
    No horse'n round
    Reputation: CEB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,138
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeNeverwinter
    How clsoe have you gotten while the train is running? How much warning did you have before a train was on top of you? Have you ever been stop by the Police?.
    Warning, what warning........? There is not some "toot toot" going off if that's what ya mean. Good thing I did not have my music in my ears. I just got done crossing the Goat Trestle Brudge and I could hear AND feel the train coming down the track. It lumbers along at about 5-10mph at the most. I sat down and watched it go by and snapped the picture. The crew on board that saw me just waved!

    We got pretty spread out with half the group doing the "go round detour trail" (the one that with about 100 yards to go for the end our buddy Miles did the "Olga Korbut", missing a perfect 10 by "this much"). That trail was heavily littered with Cholla cactus, prob due to decreased use. There was a time the tunnel that this trail detours was totally caved in, so the trail was the only way thru. Now that the tunnel is cleared for train traffic, few "visitors" use the old trail. I was one of the 5 that went thru the tunnel. Take lights. A dark tunnel is a better alternative to a cactus gauntlet. I can't condone an illegal trespass as I did

  7. #7
    Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    600
    I think that it would be illegal now to ride the Gorge since the trains started again.

    I know that the rail company has their own "cops" but not sure how often they patrol it.
    It wasn't me

  8. #8
    ***** ..we're toast
    Reputation: ASSASSIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    47

    McCain Valley

    McCain Valley is another alternative. Almost all dirt road, ride 13 miles in past Lark Campground and ATV area to the Cottonwood campground. Very scenic but might get boring backtracking the same road. Or you can ride out and back to the Sacatone Outlook.
    More info here: http://www.desertusa.com/mccain/oct_mcain.html

  9. #9
    TCB
    TCB is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TCB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    464
    Quote Originally Posted by Howeler
    I think that it would be illegal now to ride the Gorge since the trains started again.

    I know that the rail company has their own "cops" but not sure how often they patrol it.
    I agree with the Goater, stay away from Carrizo Gorge unless you’re into train dodging.
    "No matter where you go there you are" BUCKAROO BANZAI

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: noslogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,624

    It must be 4 or 5 years

    I did it a long ways back, before all the tunnels were re-punched through. The train cops were actually wearing Glocks. Quite impressive.


    HEY!!! Now that I think about it it was the very day before Miles took "Penalty For Failure" dive. That was around new years, wasn't it, Miles.

    "Are you alright?" Hahahahahaha. That is funny stuff.....now,.... sorta.

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=JgoHo9pLXI4

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: noslogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,624

    Probably feels like yesterday, heh?

    Quote Originally Posted by noslogan
    I did it a long ways back, before all the tunnels were re-punched through. The train cops were actually wearing Glocks. Quite impressive.


    HEY!!! Now that I think about it it was the very day before Miles took "Penalty For Failure" dive. That was around new years, wasn't it, Miles.

    "Are you alright?" Hahahahahaha. That is funny stuff.....now,.... sorta.

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=JgoHo9pLXI4

    How long ago was that?

  12. #12
    If you have to ask...
    Reputation: miles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    650
    It was New Year's Day 2004. It's been a while.


    miles
    It's 7:09 California time

  13. #13
    I <3 Dirt
    Reputation: mealsonwheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by CEB
    I "rode" BOTH the Valley and The Corrizo RR in the same day. VOT Moon is a crazy land with huge boulders strewn about and roads that course between them. Not a lot of miles to be had, but some insane photo opps. Then we went over to the Jacumba Exit, parked by the gas station and went for an out and back to Goat Trestle bridge. YES, the trains do run. Take lights for the tunnels.

    Have fun.... should be HOT HOT HOT this weekend.
    Great pics CEB.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Howeler
    I think that it would be illegal now to ride the Gorge since the trains started again.

    I know that the rail company has their own "cops" but not sure how often they patrol it.
    I work for the Police Department in question and yes it is illegal to ride the gorge now. We do patrol it regularly and will ticket anyore found on or near rail property. As the guy in this thread stated you can't tell when the trains are coming so the potential for death is quite great. Thats the only reason why we are hard on riders and hikers. Some of us ride too so it's not like we have anything against MTB riders.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,058
    Thanks for digging up this thread.

    Is there any legal vantage point where you can see the trestles?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    26
    Let me check and I'll post what I find.

  17. #17
    CEB
    CEB is offline
    No horse'n round
    Reputation: CEB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,138
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
    Thanks for digging up this thread.

    Is there any legal vantage point where you can see the trestles?
    From an airplane.......or perhaps a helicopter!

  18. #18
    I <3 Dirt
    Reputation: mealsonwheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by CEB
    From an airplane.......or perhaps a helicopter!
    Yep. Typically from a commercial flight on the westbound approach into Lindbergh Field you can see the trestle.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,058

    Cool-blue Rhythm

    Quote Originally Posted by mealsonwheels
    Yep. Typically from a commercial flight on the westbound approach into Lindbergh Field you can see the trestle.
    Uh, thanks...

    I was thinking of something a little closer and not moving at 400 - 500 mph.

    I know this probably isn't the best forum, but I'd love to see those trestles and that scenery. Maybe the RR could generate some revenue off scenic runs out there.

    fzr400guy, if you've got a suggestion box at work, drop them a note. Maybe they could do scheduled tourist runs a few times a year with a charter bus ride back.

  20. #20
    I <3 Dirt
    Reputation: mealsonwheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
    Uh, thanks...

    I was thinking of something a little closer and not moving at 400 - 500 mph.

    I know this probably isn't the best forum, but I'd love to see those trestles and that scenery. Maybe the RR could generate some revenue off scenic runs out there.

    fzr400guy, if you've got a suggestion box at work, drop them a note. Maybe they could do scheduled tourist runs a few times a year with a charter bus ride back.
    I'll try to get a window seat and take some pics for you.

    Seriously though, I can't think of any parallel trail that will get you close to the trestle. The train tracks run through a very rocky and remote area and as far as I know following the train tracks is the only way to get to the trestle. I've only been out there once or twice before the train was back in service.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    26
    Bad news guys and gals. I looked at the last set of Sat. maps and there is no established trail that gets you close to the trellis. In fact it looks like there is no safe way to hike in either without trespassing on Rail property. It would be nice if some group could come in and cut a nice trail but due to the nature of the terrain that is pretty much a no go. We had a fire out in the area a few weeks ago and the only way Cal-Fire could get out there was via helicopter. I will bring up the idea of a one day a year day for mountian bikers and hikers to make there way out there at the next major board meeting. But with the amount of frieght starting to move on the rails I would not hold my breath.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,058
    Quote Originally Posted by fzr400guy
    Bad news guys and gals. I looked at the last set of Sat. maps and there is no established trail that gets you close to the trellis. In fact it looks like there is no safe way to hike in either without trespassing on Rail property. It would be nice if some group could come in and cut a nice trail but due to the nature of the terrain that is pretty much a no go. We had a fire out in the area a few weeks ago and the only way Cal-Fire could get out there was via helicopter. I will bring up the idea of a one day a year day for mountain bikers and hikers to make there way out there at the next major board meeting. But with the amount of freight starting to move on the rails I would not hold my breath.
    Thanks for looking into it anyway. I certainly understand there are issues around liability and danger.

    Here are a few other thoughts that might be helpful. I'm operating from the premise that if there's money in it, the RR will be more receptive to ideas. I know that some tourist RRs also haul freight, I'm just flipping that idea around. Roaring Camp, near Santa Cruz, does some freight, as does Sierra Pacific.

    1. As I understand it, the trains run fairly slow, and must be somewhat scheduled. Perhaps folks could buy a pass for day hiking or sightseeing during breaks in the schedule. The pass would give the holder a one day license to be on RR property at a scheduled time when there is a break between trains.

    2. The rr could do a shuttle run for a fee. On a given day, say a holiday weekend, attach a special car to the back of a freight run, and fill it full of paying bikers and their bikes. Haul 'em out to the trestle and drop them off to ride back to some designated pickup point.

    3. I bet there are RR buffs all over the US who would pay for a trip on this line. I don't know if there are seasonal slow periods in the freight business, but I'm thinking with some targeted advertising and picking dates when you could get a good turnout.

    I don't know if this still happens, but there used to be a once a year RR trip to Puerto Penasco, which is in Baja on the gulf. I think one of the museums in Balboa Park organized it. You'd bus over to Calexico, I think, catch the train down, eat shrimp, drink beer, and ride back. Some friends of mine did it and said it was a blast.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •