mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Carlsbad Parks Assessment Final Meeting

Hello,
    An update on the Carlsbad Parks Assessment process;

The Carlsbad Parks and Rec. department started an assessment survey in February of this year. The intent of the survey is to hear from the community and develop a plan to fit the needs of the community.

The final public hearing of the Carlsbad Parks and Rec. parks assessment survey will be held this coming Monday (time and location are noted below). The survey will lead to a comprehensive action plan for the next five years. This action plan will be presented to the City Council for approval in November.

This is our last chance to get building a bike park on the Carlsbad Parks five-year plan. The bike community had a good turnout at the open meetings in February. This effort resulted in building bike specific areas being placed on the preliminary list five year plan. This was a big step for our bike/cycling community, please come to the meeting Monday to continue our momentum and ask Carlsbad Parks to build a bike pump/jump/skills area.

If you desire to speak at the meeting, a white speaker slip form should be filed out with the Commission Minutes Clerk. Each speaker is limited to 5 minutes. Please remember to state your name and address for the record. If you do not want to speak in front of everyone, please attend. I'll ask the people who support a bike park to raise their hands.

Thanks!

Parks & Recreation Commission Meeting
    Monday, September 30th 5:30 p.m.
    Carlsbad City Hall Council Chambers
    1200 Carlsbad Village Drive
    Carlsbad, CA 92008

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Bump This is tonight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thank you to everyone who took the time to come out to last nights meeting. They can be tough to sit through but being part of the process is the key.

The cities consultant presented their findings from the survey. Then they presented two big ideas that will help meet the need of the community going forward. The first idea is to build a large indoor rec. center. The second idea was for an outdoor adventure park that included a picture of a pump track. This was a nice surprise.

At least 6 people spoke supporting a bike park and about 15 total showed to raise their hand in support of Carlsbad building a bike park. Iím confident we made an impression on the Parks Council and the Parks Director.

One council member asked what could be implemented in 2014. I told him we could build a bike park in 2014!

Iíll follow up with some emails today.

Thanks again!

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Does anyone have a direct email contact? I have emailed the carlsbad parks department but I am not sure if that is the best contact. I would like to tell them that with the recent trail closures in Del Mar Mesa and MTRP that riders will be looking for more opportunities up north. Alread La Costa is seeing increased traffic. I think it is important for us to demonstrate how more bikers spending more money in Carlsbad would be a good thing.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^