stay thirsty, my friends

Be careful of flash floods while riding

Five of us went down to Maple Springs for a fun ride in the rain. Detailed write ups of what happened from three perspectives are here

Cliff's notes: Five of us ride Maple Springs saturday morning in a group of 3 (ppl who got there on time) and Alan and I (got there late). Flash flooding turns knee high rushing water into fierce rivers. Three bikes were lost that day. One guy will have a nice big scar on his leg as a reminder. We all consider ourselves very lucky.

Be careful out there!
    Last edited by LBguy; 02-22-2005 at 01:36 AM.
    "With that said, until you have done a STR group ride- YOU HAVE NOT LIVED!"
    - dino brown

pewpewpew Moderator
    Wow pretty dramatic.

During the last storm series two guys lost bikes in Sullivan Canyon. I can see how easily that must have happened after reading your stories.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    Wow pretty dramatic.

During the last storm series two guys lost bikes in Sullivan Canyon. I can see how easily that must have happened after reading your stories.
    The last time I waded a strong current I suddenly realized every drowning starts with "I think I can make it". I turned back.

Just another Homer

Scary story

I had a similar occurance once at a very mild trail.Marshall Cyn of all places.We started our ride early that morning around 7am.No one else on the trails at all till we started to head back.It had been raining when we were,but we were riding fireroad and the trails are plowed every year anyways so we thought we were fine.We met up with 3 other bikers, who were having almost as much fun as we were.We all were of similar abilities, except for two riders who were coming up from behind.The rain had picked up now where it was a downpour unlike any I had seen in years.We were on the downhill portion of the ride and were screaming down trying to beat the rain and each other back.One of the 2 slower riders had fallen off quite a bit, so we all stopped to regroup.Finally the last guy comes around the corner and starts to come thru the water.About this time I hear some weird noise and I just happen to look up stream and I see a wall of water thats at least 5 feet high.It did't look like a wave.it looked like a wall of water.I yelled at the guy to "MOVE".He looked at me then at where I was looking at,and he just dropped his bike and ran for the side of the bank.He made it with not much to spare.I had never seen anything quite like that.That day of rain did more damage to that trail then can be described.It's still nothing like it used to be.We all left and my friend and I rode on ahead.We were about a mile from getting out, and still had some water crossings to make.The wall of water had cleared a wide path thru here and the level was still high but manageable.As we got to the very end we found the guys bike.We pulled it out of the water and set it on the side of the trail.Could of been a bad,bad, day.Fotunately everything worked out okay.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Scary stuff. Good thing you all made it out OK. Bikes can be replaced. Life cannot.

Were you able to retrieve the bikes? Looks like someone saw one (or two??) of them in the river...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SilverSpot; 02-22-2005 at 08:54 AM.

Old Enough to Know Better
    Jan 2004
    You guys are lucky to be alive! Glad we aren't watching your bodies being haulled out of the river on TV!

Live to ride another day!

stay thirsty, my friends
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpot
    Scary stuff. Good thing you all made it out OK. Bikes can be replaced. Life cannot.

Were you able to retrieve the bikes? Looks like someone saw one (or two??) of them in the river...
    O wow, where'd you get that picture. One of the missing bikes IS a red and white specialized. Other ones is a SS with carbon bars and another SS (KHS solo one) . . .

The specialized and one of the SS's were last seen lodged together. From the looks of the picture that might be it. The wheel on the right might be one of the SS's wheels.

Last edited by LBguy; 02-22-2005 at 09:06 AM.
    - dino brown

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LBguy
    Five of us went down to Maple Springs for a fun ride in the rain. Detailed write ups of what happened from three perspectives are here

Cliff's notes: Five of us ride Maple Springs saturday morning in a group of 3 (ppl who got there on time) and Alan and I (got there late). Flash flooding turns knee high rushing water into fierce rivers. Three bikes were lost that day. One guy will have a nice big scar on his leg as a reminder. We all consider ourselves very lucky.

Be careful out there!
    Why not X-Post on Passion? This is a story anyone can empathize with.

stay thirsty, my friends
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    Why not X-Post on Passion? This is a story anyone can empathize with.
    Done.

http://forums.mtbr.com/passion/careful-flash-floods-while-riding-80777.html#post702672
    - dino brown

mtbr member

Wow

Didn't think I would ever catch site of the bikes again, but that's just how they were when we left them.

One heck of an interesting ride Saturday.

I'll be going out this weekend to try to recover the bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Lost KHS SOLO ONE

Did anyone retrieve a black KHS SOLO ONE from Maple Springs? If so, PLEASE contact me at alankang3000@aol.com.

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Quote Originally Posted by LBguy
    O wow, where'd you get that picture. One of the missing bikes IS a red and white specialized. Other ones is a SS with carbon bars and another SS (KHS solo one) . . .

The specialized and one of the SS's were last seen lodged together. From the looks of the picture that might be it. The wheel on the right might be one of the SS's wheels.

It was posted by a guy on the Team Basso Yahoo group site. He must have been there after you guys left and snapped the pic. Link to Pic: http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~willie/MTBcrop.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    You guys left those bikes 2 feet from the bank like that? I don't consider myself a stupid risk taker, but if either of those bikes were mine, I sure wouldn't have left them that close to the bank.

mtbr member

You had to be there to understand

The photo was obviously taken with a zoom lens. The bikes ended up about 30 feet below us in water that a person could not withstand the the current. After all three of us had been swept into the water and over the edge of the crossings by rushing water no more than 18" deep; none of us were going to climb down a 30' bank and attempt to reteieve bikes that were clearly in deep water. Water not even up to our knees was moving so fast that crossing took every ounce of strength and balance to traverse. the potential for loss of life was clearly evident at the time.

Bikes can be replaced, lives cannot.

In 22 years of riding there in the rain, I've never seen the crossings change so quickly and so violently. It should be an eye-opener to everyone not to get complacent in any situation while in a wilderness area.

After 22 years of doing the same thing, I was bold and confident on this trail that I've traversed hundreds of times. We were all given a second chance, and I don't think we will be putting ourselves in the same situation again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyRon
    You guys left those bikes 2 feet from the bank like that? I don't consider myself a stupid risk taker, but if either of those bikes were mine, I sure wouldn't have left them that close to the bank.
    Ron, this is an elaborate scheme by these guys to justify brand, new rigs. Note that the abused Yeti was "recovered". Now, don't mess it up for these litterbugs: their wives might read here!!

Adam, did you get the measurements sent off to Seven yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    Ron, this is an elaborate scheme by these guys to justify brand, new rigs. Note that the abused Yeti was "recovered". Now, don't mess it up for these litterbugs: their wives might read here!!

Adam, did you get the measurements sent off to Seven yet?
    Nope....Ventana El Toro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JamR
    ....Ventana El Toro
    Is that the Scandium rig with the carbon stays?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Nice. I never thought of disposing of a bike that way. I guess it would make for a pretty tight story to tell the wife though.