bro not pro

Cannell Plunge ride 4/12/2013 (Kernville CA) with Pictures

Day 2 of the WA boys enjoying and exploring the southern Sierra environs around the Kern River canyon. The Cannell Plunge was our goal, but it's definitely a shuttle, starting at 9500 feet dropping to 3000. Being early in the season the shuttles were not running, the forest roads were closed, and rumors of snow in the high country seemed to stop our desire. Asking anybody with a truck for a ride, we finally got our campsite host to give a ride.

where our shuttle ended.

And so the task begins; 14 miles, 3000 feet on Shady Creek road. Mostly in the shade, with a little snow here and there.

After 3 hours, we reached the trail head, to make the first tracks of the season

all feelings of bonking went away when we hit the single track

South Sierra mixed conifer forest

Finally, the high point of the ride; 9500 feet - time to apply the leg armor.

feels like Bend OR

After dropping about 500 feet, we reached beautiful alpine meadows

a lonely snag in the meadow

strange boulders in the meadow

Leaving the meadows behind, we drop elevation and approach the edge of the plateau, where the "plunge" will begin.

First glimpse of Lake Isabella, some 6000 feet below, and let the plunge begin.

feels like Alder Ridge, in the Wenatchee NF

Sierra batholith exposed.

sunlit western exposure

batholith formation eroded into a hoodo shape

plunging into the sunset

sticker on a farm gate framing the rider

the book to get

G O N Z

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Awesome. Wasn't able to get out on my mtb this weekend, thanx for the stoke!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for sharing all the pics. Looks like a good time.

mtbr member
    ive done that twice and had my brakes fail both times on that last descent! yeah I ate it, but it was still super fun. nice pics makes me want to go again. I've always started from the very top at 9k feet.

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    Dang, Gonz, that looks like fun!
    Rolland

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Done it last two years in a row, and probably be doing it in May or early June. HIGHLY unusual to not have a lot of snow up there this time of year. I may try Just Outstanding this year too. I also had brake failure up there. Can't wait to ride it again with both brakes and larger rotors...
    Last edited by trmn8er; 04-22-2013 at 10:50 PM.

b a n n e d
    Where do folks recommend staying up there?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Kernville has a ton of decent places to stay. That's where you end up anyway, so Kernville is perfect...

Ambi-Turner
    May 2010
    So cool you didn't let the lack of a shuttle to the top stop you!! You really earned the turns on that ride. I did it last summer and it's great stuff. Just Outstanding is just as good or better. I can't wait to get up there soon.

mtbr member

Re: Cannell Plunge ride 4/12/2013 (Kernville CA) with Pictures

Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

"nOteWAre Out"

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks for the great pics and RR! Kudos for not letting a little snow stop you! I did that ride last Nov. and had to go in at Big Meadow due to snow. Still had to drive 10 miles with 4" of fresh snow to get to the south end of the meadow to start riding! Thanks to Shuttle Bob for safely driving my truck back out! The snow disappeared after Cannell meadow. Had I gone the day before the whole ride would have been hero dirt!

I gotta question. Where is Shady Creek Road? Can't find it on the map and have never seen it. I thought Sherman Pass Rd was the only way to get to the top. It'd be nice to have a dirt road to the top if you have to climb it!

We're camping at Kernville this weekend at Rivernook which I think is the best campground (private) on the river. Probably do Just Outstanding and Wagy Flat. If any of you mtbr people will be there too, send me a pm and we'll try to ride!

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Where do folks recommend staying up there?
    We stayed at the Mountain River Adventures Campground, Free Showers onsite, very nice.
    We also arranged our Shuttle service with them, and took it to the to of Sherman Pass. I Did not get to finish because one of my pedals broke partway down. Lucky for me it was just before the actual plunge so my friends were able to come back up and get me via the roads.

I would like to do it again, but maybe with a smaller group.

Thanks to the OP for sharing and all the pics, looks like an awesome time!
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

bro not pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    Thanks for the great pics and RR! Kudos for not letting a little snow stop you! I did that ride last Nov. and had to go in at Big Meadow due to snow. Still had to drive 10 miles with 4" of fresh snow to get to the south end of the meadow to start riding! Thanks to Shuttle Bob for safely driving my truck back out! The snow disappeared after Cannell meadow. Had I gone the day before the whole ride would have been hero dirt!

I gotta question. Where is Shady Creek Road? Can't find it on the map and have never seen it. I thought Sherman Pass Rd was the only way to get to the top. It'd be nice to have a dirt road to the top if you have to climb it!

We're camping at Kernville this weekend at Rivernook which I think is the best campground (private) on the river. Probably do Just Outstanding and Wagy Flat. If any of you mtbr people will be there too, send me a pm and we'll try to ride!
    I'm sorry ... my bad ... it was Cherry Hill Rd, and yes we to went in just after Big Meadow.
    G O N Z

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the ride report. It looks like the whole trail should be open real soon. Check out this link. Welcome to the Sierra Cam Network - your one source for Sierra Nevada webcams - live and archived views from Sherman Peak and other locations in the Sierra Nevada mountain range
    It is from Sherman Peak. The snow is melting really fast.

mtbr member
    Anyone been down the Plunge since this report? Conditions? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    We were their the weekend before Memorial Day. Started at Sherman Pass and went up to Sherman PK. There was one small snow drift and a number of hab to get up to the top. It was tough going.... Going back down was a lot easier with only one or 2 hab to get around downed trees. From Sherman Pass on down the trail is in great shape. The meadows below the old ranger station are as dry as if it were fall.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply! Going up Sunday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by scottay View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Going up Sunday.
    How was it? I'm thinking about heading up this weekend.

mtbr member
    Fun, hot, dusty...... only a couple of narrow creek crossings and a short stretch of wet dirt. Will need to space riders or be out front ! lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Offroad_Junkie View Post
    How was it? I'm thinking about heading up this weekend.
    Myself and a buddy are trying to do the ride on Sunday 6/9 too. I called Mountain River Adventures and my buddy and I are the only one signed up for the shuttle. So unless a few more people show up there will be no shuttle. Anyone have any recommendations for anyone else that runs a shuttle.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nice pics Gonz. I'm going to head up there this weekend, but the shuttles are all booked up.

Do you have shuttle Bob's phone number? I'll try sending you a PM.