Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

cannel trail on fire????

2K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  scottyl 
#1 ·
there is a huge fire raging below the kern plateau..it is heading toward the top; and the first thing to burn up there is cannel meadow and the trail....what this means is the trail will be closed for a while, then this fall there will be no vegetation and when it rains the trail will be rutted out....when i hear more i will let all know...

#5 ·
endo verendo said:
I was heading up there the 15th. So far 1000 acres and zero containment. I bet Hollywood started it so I could go to his birthday party.
HAHAHAHA!

no dude, it was ME!!!!!

actually, I was right in the middle of it all yesterday, the first crew responding passed me as I was headed up the Kern, I passed the site of the fire and continued up to Big Meadow (they were doing controlled burns around Horse and Big Meadows - those crews passed me heading down to fight the fire) - I was doing an XC flog around Big Meadow and could see the smoke still burning as the fire headed up from the Kern - I ran into a big group on bikes on the dirt road by Big Meadow, and gave them some directions - I heard that right after I spoke to them rangers turned them around.

On my way back down the Kern got stopped by Helos landing on the road and hovering over the river sucking water up for drops - the fire had already climbed from the Kern to the top of the ridge - it hadn't spread south far enough yet to reach Cannell, but certainly looked to be heading that way with the winds blowing down cyn....this morning in Kernville it was smoke everywhere and hundreds of firemen showing up in town - 4th big fire of the season up there already, and it's only June - water levels are at all-time lows in the creeks and I could see the (complete lack of) snowpack in the Whitney region - depressing for me as a kayaker, and also as someone who spends some time up there - it's going to be a really really bad fire season...

oh, and it was started by gunfire - I actually had heard the idiots who were shooting, but I understand they caught them fleeing the scene...

#7 ·
NOOOOOOOOOO! We're going up there in a few weeks for our anni! That's no way to spend it... Odd, we're going to Catalina as well and a lot of their wilderness area just burned. hmm.

What else would be open in the area if the Plunge is closed? Maybe a good idea to just postpone the trip, I guess.

#10 ·
We were pretty lucky yesterday that Sierra Hwy wasn't closed for our shuttle ride up but was shortly after (not sure if the drivers got down or got stuck?). The smoke was visible all the way from Bakersfield by the end of the day when we were driving out.

Scotty I think this means that there will just have to be a shuttle route cut to the top of the Plunge at the end of Cannel Meadow hehe...I'd be lying if I said I didn't harbor any ill will towards Big Painful Meadow or at least the fire road next to it.

Just from the looks of things this weekend and two weeks ago, that place is going to fry like bacon this summer. Glad I got the ride in when I did though, but I'll still be back for a couple of the other long shuttles in the area. Between JO/DF and Cannel all in 24 hours that was almost more buff singletrack than I knew what to do with. What's the mileage on JO/DF scotty?

#11 ·
Damn it. I guess there's no reason to head up if it's still burning Thursday. I have two campsites booked with a no refund policy. Anybody got a link for current info on the area? I'll call a few friends I have that live in the area too.

#12 ·
macrider said:
oh, and it was started by gunfire - I actually had heard the idiots who were shooting, but I understand they caught them fleeing the scene...
Has this been confirmed? Were they shooting steel core bullets, like 5.56 M855 or SS109? Steel core is the only legal bullet that will spark upon impact with rocks. Tracers or other incinderary rounds will, but they are illegal.

Kyoseki said:
Go to Moab, there's nothing there to burn :D
In another month, there will be plenty of skin burns. :)

#13 ·
scottyl said:
there is a huge fire raging below the kern plateau..it is heading toward the top; and the first thing to burn up there is cannel meadow and the trail....what this means is the trail will be closed for a while, then this fall there will be no vegetation and when it rains the trail will be rutted out....when i hear more i will let all know...
That is one big freaking bummer! I don't even want to think what that place is going to look like afterwards.

#14 ·
You are here: National > California > Sequoia National Forest > Goldledge Wildland Fire Goldledge Wildland FireIncident Information Announcements News Pictures Maps INCIDENT UPDATED 15 MINUTES AGO
Basic Information
Incident Type Wildland Fire
Benefits & Objectives
Keep the fire south of the McNally Fire.

West of Kern Plateau.

East of county road M99.

North of the major ridge in sections 8,16 and 28 north of the south fork of Corral Creek.

Cause Human Caused
Date of Origin 06/03/2007 at 1130 hrs.
Location 10 miles north of Kernville
Incident Commander Allen Johnson

Current Situation
Total Personnel 579
Size 2,400 acres
Percent Contained 30%
Fuels Involved Annual grass, low shrubs,chaparral and chamise at lower elevations. Fire burning into ponderosa pine, mixed conifer forest.

Fire Behavior The fire made several runs, primarily in canyons to the north and east up toward Salmon Creek Falls.

Significant Events South Central Sierra Interagency Incident Management Team II assumed command of the fire at 1800. Voluntary evacuations for Horse Meadows private summer homes and Forest Service campground. Rincon, Salmon Creek and Packsaddle trails are closed. Cherry Hill Road is closed and travelers are advised to avoid the West Kern Plateau trails.

Outlook
Planned Actions A structure group is in place at Horse Meadow. The potential for continency dozer and handline is being evaluated on the rim of Kern Plateau. Flanking action is likely to continue to hold along Tulare County Road M99 and to direct the fire into the McNally Fire(2002) to the north. Steep rocky terrain will continue to hamper direct attack to the south and east.

Growth Potential Extreme

Terrain Difficulty Extreme

Remarks Not available

Weather
Current Wind Conditions 17/29 mph SE
Current Temperature 87 degrees
Current Humidity 19 %
Forecasted Wind Conditions 10/25 mph NW
Forecasted Temperature 82 degrees
Forecasted Humidity 15 %
Contact Information
Geri Adams/pam Bierce
(760) 417-1971

Unit Information
Sequoia National Forest
1839 S. Newcomb St.
Porterville, California 93257

#16 ·
Last Edited: Monday, 04 Jun 2007, 11:33 PM MDT
Created: Monday, 04 Jun 2007, 11:33 PM MDT

(Credit: MyFox)

By The Associated Press

SEQUOIA NATIONAL FOREST, Calif. -- Firefighters were trying to contain a wildfire that had burned about 2,400 acres of grass and brush in Sequoia National Forest and was spreading into wooded areas Monday.
Officials asked residents in a recreation area called Horse Meadow to evacuate their cabins and trailers after the Goldledge Fire inched about a mile away from the private property, said Geri Adams, a U.S. Forest Service spokeswoman.
"We're getting some really strong winds and the humidity is low, so the fire is really active," she said.
The fire started across the street from the Goldledge Campgrounds on Sunday, about 10 miles north of Kernville, she said.
"It was definitely caused by humans," Adams said, though she did not have more details.
Firefighters were still at zero containment Monday evening though they were able to keep the flames away from nearby Kern River Golden Trout Resort, she said.
The area where the wooded area where the fire spread was at 7,000 feet altitude and has a mix of different pine trees.
About 500 firefighters from Kern and Los Angeles counties, California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, the Bureau of Land Management and the National Park Service were helping the U.S. Forest Service with the fire, Adams said.

#17 ·
jo to df is about 13 miles...depending on the route to df...i am checking out a new route this week that connects jo to wall st. to df....its mostly dh with a small 100 ft hike a bike.....camp nelson is going off 3 stunt trails there...i havent been but i will be there soon when i fix my broken der. hanger...........the fire is still burning and it has reached the plateau

#18 ·
Pain Freak said:
... there's no reason to head up if it's still burning Thursday. I have two campsites booked with a no refund policy...
Well ? Is it still worth going up Friday the 15'th & ride elsewhere on Saturday ?
If the road is closed we can't make it up North... Perhaps only ride Just Out Standing ...

#20 ·
aword4you said:
haha! If Kernville is out for riding we just might. I wonder when the latest date is to change flight info...

If we can still ride the Plunge or JO we'll probably still head up there, though.
Alot will change in the next ten days before we go up there.

Just Outstanding should not be effected. I suppose one could ride up the Plunge from town, but the road to Big Meadow and Sherman Pass I bet is currently closed.

In my reading it sounds like the fire started at Gold Ledge and is spreading up the mountains.

Link to Forest Service Map.

Dean

#21 ·
scottyl said:
jo to df is about 13 miles...depending on the route to df...i am checking out a new route this week that connects jo to wall st. to df....its mostly dh with a small 100 ft hike a bike.....camp nelson is going off 3 stunt trails there...i havent been but i will be there soon when i fix my broken der. hanger...........the fire is still burning and it has reached the plateau
Is Wall St. that fire road or some other singletrack? I thought the fireroad was Sawmill Rd. I heard about Camp Nelson from a couple of people up there this weekend so I'm going to have to check that out sometime. Let me know when you're heading up.

Not good news about the fire. Any progress on the containment?

#23 ·
cannel is closed.....for those who want to come up and ride j/o is in good shape..cannel and just outstanding arent the only good trails in this area..check out mill creek, remington ridge, dutch flat,wall st,and clear creek, all super fun and hardly known by non locals.......
you want ladder stunts, believe it or not but thee are some in the desert near ridgecrest.....

#24 ·
Scotty, where/what are remington, wall st. and clear creek? I was told that mill creek was far too long of a shuttle to be worth the descent. PM me if you don't want to advertise details.

Any hope of Cannel re-opening in the near future if they contain the fire relatively quick?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.