Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lazybeaner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    143

    Cannel plunge questions.

    I am planning a trip to finally go ride the Cannel plunge. We are doing the 2-day ride offered by Mtn and River Adventures. So we can take or time and get a good feel for the area. My biggest question is what type of gear setup would you guys recommend? I have a Nomad, my buddies ride Spec Enduros and Mongoose teocali. i would rate us as moderat/advanced down hillers, but not crazy hucking psychos.

    From most of the vids i've seen it looks like we won't need any body armor of full faces. But i am not sure if we should bring it just in case, like for the second day?

    Any help and info would be great.
    Click click, BLOODY CLICK WAFFLES!

  2. #2
    member: kv dirt daddies
    Reputation: jfsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    373

    Cannell

    I have seen almost every type of bike and rider on this trail. Ridgid SS to full DH and all spandex to all armor. I ride a Gemini ( 7" of travel) and it is more bike then the trail needs. The bikes you mentioned would work great. I don't wear any armor either. Some of my freinds will carry knee pads on their packs and put then on at certain times. The ride is divided up between climbing and decending so you only have to change pads a few times. If you are going to start at Sherman Pass there is one good downhill section that you will do the first day. The downhills are not very tech but can have a lot of loose rocks. There are a lot of long, fast sections where you can push the speed as much as you want. Some pads might be a good idea there. If you are advanced downhillers I would guess that you will find the climbs much more difficult than the decents. It all depends on what you are looking for.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fuel53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    90
    Check with Mt River adventures first. I wanted to do the plunge around thanksgiving and they were already closed for the winter before it had snowed, they said they would open sometime in spring when the snow melts. There is still a bit of snow up there I think.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    18
    Your fine with bike choices.You dont really need any armor.There is plenty of peddeling and climbing before you get to the plunge.The downhill sections are fun but not technical.There are a couple of tricky switchbacks towards the end.
    I wouldnt do the plunge on a 2 day trip,it is a good one day ride.Do the plunge one day and do another trail the next or do the plunge twice.Dont do the layover at Big Meadow its not enough riding.It should be prime early season.

  5. #5
    OMR - Old Man Riding
    Reputation: mtber3737's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    429

    Good job! Agree

    Quote Originally Posted by Jmomma
    Your fine with bike choices.You dont really need any armor.There is plenty of peddeling and climbing before you get to the plunge.The downhill sections are fun but not technical.There are a couple of tricky switchbacks towards the end.
    I wouldnt do the plunge on a 2 day trip,it is a good one day ride.Do the plunge one day and do another trail the next or do the plunge twice.Dont do the layover at Big Meadow its not enough riding.It should be prime early season.
    Do this trail in one day... but remember there is quite a bit of climbing... you stay between 8-9,000 feet most of the day. Awesome trail. For extra credit, go up the trail to the peak... you're up at 10,000 feet.

    Enjoy the ride!

    OMR
    Older than Dirt!!!

  6. #6
    pewpewpew Moderator
    Reputation: Impy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,125
    When is the season opeining? ANybody want to put a group together?
    Love, Impy

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pacman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,928

    Second that

    Quote Originally Posted by mtber3737
    Do this trail in one day... but remember there is quite a bit of climbing... you stay between 8-9,000 feet most of the day. Awesome trail. For extra credit, go up the trail to the peak... you're up at 10,000 feet.

    Enjoy the ride!

    OMR
    Two days would make it boring. Bring water, lots of water.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    223
    I don't think the pass opened up last year until June, is that right jfsh?

    Anyway, as already stated - the bike choices are great. As far as armor goes, while there are some rocky sections ... it's usually rock scattered in softer stuff. It's not rock on rock - so, if you go down, there is usually a chance for a 'soft' landing (and many chances for not-so-soft landings) - unlike some other places where, if you go down - you know you're going to be hurting no matter where you touch down.

    Also, I concur with making it a single-day ride - get started early and take your time.

  9. #9
    member: kv dirt daddies
    Reputation: jfsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    373

    Sherman Pass

    You are right, it didn't open until late June. This year looks like a different story. We have about 50% of normal snowpack and have had very little snow in March. We could be looking at early May this year. It all depends on the weather and when the Forest Service gets the road clear. About a month ago my freind drove up there to do some XC skiing and was able to make it to within 1.5 miles of the summit. Not much snow up there.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    198
    Yeah, like others said. One day, start early. No need for armor. Fill up on water at the spring.

    Ride Shirley Meadows (aka: Just Outstanding) the second day. Shorter ride but real fun!

  11. #11
    Stray Bullet
    Reputation: Nagaredama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,263
    I did the Plunge last November when it was unusually warm. I was debating whether to ride my Yeti AS-X or 575. Everyone said ride the 575 because the trail doesn’t require 7 inches of travel and you’ll appreciate the weight savings on the uphill. Looking back on it the AS-X was the right bike, especially if you want to bomb the whole thing. Sure it was a bit slow climbing but it made the downs worth it.

    As for armor if you have it doesn't hurt to put it on for the downhill sections. I fell once and scraped my knee up. If I had knee pads I would have worn them. Riding clipped in I didn't see the need for shin guards since there wasn’t the chance of slipping a pedal.

    My buddy caught a tree branch with his arm and needed about 10 stitches.

    Here is a link to the ride report.

    Cannell Plunge first timers, bloody pics inside ;)

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    12

    Recommend against two days

    My wife and I did this ride last year and were down in about 4 hrs. A total classic, it was way too quick. We should have taken the side trip up to the peak to exend it a bit. The trail was fast and no pads were necessary. It seemed we were taking our time but it just flew by.

    We did a great side ride the next day up above and to the W. of Kernville. It is called "just outstanding" and is a very fun (but still seemed short) ride. It goes through manzanita tunnels. We didn't have a very good map so we rode down it and then back up it. found out later that it is an easy ride to do as a loop and ride up the road back to a car parked on top.

    I think there are some other good rides in the area as well.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jewell of D(enial)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    When is the season opeining? ANybody want to put a group together?
    I'd be in for a group thing. Haven't been there, but would like to do it this summer. Any others interested in getting a group started?
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,379
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewell of D(enial)
    I'd be in for a group thing. Haven't been there, but would like to do it this summer. Any others interested in getting a group started?
    We're in.

  15. #15
    pewpewpew Moderator
    Reputation: Impy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,125
    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you
    We're in.
    Ok JOD and aowrd4u, lets make a plan - 2nd or 3rd weekend of June sound good ? I need to check my work schedule....

    I will pick a date and stuff, would love to ride with you both.
    Love, Impy

  16. #16
    Equal opportunity meanie
    Reputation: DHidiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,784
    I sort of doubt this trail is rideable right now especially near the top....or is it? Would anybody else be down to drop it on Saturday afternoon? I can't tell if this is something that you shuttle yoursef or if you get a shop shuttle like Downieville. I'll be doing the Keyesville DH race in the AM and this would be a pretty fun afternoon thing so long as the DH doesn't take all day. It would also give me the option of staying and camping up there for 2 nights and seeing a couple buddies early on Sunday at the race before I head out.

    If that's not really an option, are there any lower elevation shuttles in that area I could try to arrange?
    805

  17. #17
    member: kv dirt daddies
    Reputation: jfsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    373
    You would be hitting a lot of snow right now. Much of the trail is above 8000'. Also Cannell is in a different set of mountains then Keysville. If the roads were clear and open you would still have an hour and 15 minute drive to get to the top. You won't have enough time. You should stay in the Greenhorn mountains if you want to ride more after the race. There are s few shuttle options that are doable right now doing some lower parts of "Just Outstanding". You have to go with somebody who knows it already. There are many fire roads up there. If I was in town I would be happy to show you around but I am going to AZSF 07.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jewell of D(enial)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    Ok JOD and aowrd4u, lets make a plan - 2nd or 3rd weekend of June sound good ? I need to check my work schedule....

    I will pick a date and stuff, would love to ride with you both.
    Third weekend (only) works for us. Friends wedding and Noble camping the other weekends. Will this work? June 23???
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,379
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewell of D(enial)
    Third weekend (only) works for us. Friends wedding and Noble camping the other weekends. Will this work? June 23???
    The Plunge is as good a place as any for an anniversary, right?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jewell of D(enial)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you
    The Plunge is as good a place as any for an anniversary, right?
    How do you know our (first) anniversary is in June? It's actually the 4th. My one bridesmaid in my wedding is getting hitched exactly 1 year later. Hence the wedding to attend on the first weekend.

    How does the 3rd weekend for Cannel sound?

    When are you coming out to Noble?
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

  21. #21
    pewpewpew Moderator
    Reputation: Impy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewell of D(enial)

    How does the 3rd weekend for Cannel sound?

    sounds good to me! I will request it off if possible.

    Nobel sounds fun too one of these days!
    Love, Impy

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,379
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewell of D(enial)
    How do you know our (first) anniversary is in June? It's actually the 4th. My one bridesmaid in my wedding is getting hitched exactly 1 year later. Hence the wedding to attend on the first weekend.

    How does the 3rd weekend for Cannel sound?

    When are you coming out to Noble?
    6/21 is our 4th anniversary

    How much time is everyone taking from work? Is it necessary? Or just to be able to get some sleep on Friday night?

    Where do people stay?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jewell of D(enial)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you
    6/21 is our 4th anniversary

    How much time is everyone taking from work? Is it necessary? Or just to be able to get some sleep on Friday night?

    Where do people stay?
    We're not planning on taking any time off work. Maybe just work a half a day on Friday and head up (I know traffic will suck, but what can you do?). Then ride Saturday and do whatever Sunday (maybe a shorter ride) and head back to SD Sunday afternoon. We'll probably just stay in a motel, not sure where yet. (Find a nice motel if it's your anniversary!).
    Julee
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,379
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewell of D(enial)
    We're not planning on taking any time off work. Maybe just work a half a day on Friday and head up (I know traffic will suck, but what can you do?). Then ride Saturday and do whatever Sunday (maybe a shorter ride) and head back to SD Sunday afternoon. We'll probably just stay in a motel, not sure where yet. (Find a nice motel if it's your anniversary!).
    Julee
    Pffft! I'd rather get road shoes than spend a lot more on a room

    That's probably what we'll do. Um, but I did just realize at lunch that hubby's mom had offered to get us a room in Catalina that weekend. I hope it can be rescheduled, cause I'd rather do the Plunge!

  25. #25
    pewpewpew Moderator
    Reputation: Impy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,125
    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you
    Pffft! I'd rather get road shoes than spend a lot more on a room
    There are 40 dollar rooms, closeby. Also campsites.
    Love, Impy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •