mtbr member

Cannel Plunge 6/25/06

I had a great time meeting/riding with you all! To the official and non-official (mike and scott, right?) guides for the day, thanks for showing me the trail. It was my first time riding in the area and i'm looking forward to riding there again(soon)!

I'm really bad with names when i meet so many at one time, but i could probably remember your bikes.

...so SART this saturday 7/1/06? need a guide for that too!

jr

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The ride was a blast ... what time did you guys get down the hill? and did most of you stick together with Scott and Mike?

I drove 4.5 hours from San Diego to do the ride and then another 4.5 back home ... and I'd say it was worth it (although a little lonely - gotta haul some friends up with me next time).

I'll post some pics tonight ... I imagine some pics will show up over at STR

Over the Hill
    Yep some pics over on socal trailriders. I got back to Laguna Beach about 10:30 but we took showers at Mountain River Adventures campground and stopped to eat twice!

Big thanks to you Jeff for showing some of us around for three days....good stuff, you are a lucky man.

I think Socal Trail Riders have one scheduled this Saturday and Epic Riders are talking about the following Saturday.

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/foru...ead.php?t=2702

Dean
    Last edited by dstepper; 06-26-2006 at 03:00 PM.

Something's tingling
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    Yep some pics over on socal trailriders. I got back to Laguna Beach about 10:30 but we took showers at Mountain River Adventures campground and stopped to eat twice!

Big thanks to you Jeff for showing some of us around for three days....good stuff, you are a lucky man.

I think Socal Trail Riders have one scheduled this Saturday and Epic Riders are talking about the following Saturday.

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/foru...ead.php?t=2702

Dean
    I just posted up some more on that thread. I've been sick as a dog since coming back so I only got to the pictures now. PM me and so I can get everyone their pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Make me proud, son. Or at least less ashamed." -- Abe Simpson

120 pounds of xc sex!
    haha, that last pic is typical JR.

"How did that Hiker get a bike?"
    Team X-poser is back for 2006-

WTB; 1.25 inch tow rack in SoCal

>Ankur<

mtbr member
    she rode up more than anyone else did

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious
    I just posted up some more on that thread. I've been sick as a dog since coming back so I only got to the pictures now. PM me and so I can get everyone their pictures.
    sweet job with the SS!

when you comin up here to ride?

Something's tingling
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    sweet job with the SS!

when you comin up here to ride?
    Thanks grrrah, this one is a definite must do on your list! Despite the heat, mosquitoes, and running out of water, I enjoyed every minute of it. Big thanks to Dean, Scott, and Mike for rallying the troops and getting us all down the mountain. A total of 31 riders up at the top!

We should definitely get together for a ride up in your neck of the woods. Hopefully some time before MTB OR (which I'm almost convinced I'd do). I'll keep ya informed.

Curious

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Looks like you had a blast! Did Rivet show up?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    How were the temperatures on the ride? We're thinking of riding cannell and Just outstanding this weekend. Any advice would be appreciated.

Over the Hill
    Temps were over 100 in Kernville but very pleasant at altitude. I skipped some extra credit singletrack on Just Outstanding because it was getting mighty warm down near the Lake. Even on the Plunge part of Cannell the heat did not bother me. But do not take the heat lightly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Temps were over 100 in Kernville but very pleasant at altitude. I skipped some extra credit singletrack on Just Outstanding because it was getting mighty warm down near the Lake. Even on the Plunge part of Cannell the heat did not bother me. But do not take the heat lightly.
    Thanks...3 of us are probably going up Saturday night and going to ride just outstanding on Sunday and Sherman Peak/Plunge on Monday.

Over the Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious
    I've been sick as a dog since coming back
    Did you by any chance drink the water out of the spring without filtering it?

Just another Homer
    You all are welcome.

I had a great time as always and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Joy can climb like nobody's business and I am suprised to see that picture. She flew by me on the fireroad climb after I got everyone on the wrong trail and caused us to miss the natural spring and also added about 5 pounds to everyones bike with sludge from the meadow. How many times do I have to tell you people.....I'm directionally challenged???

Like I said I had a great time and I'll lead another ride sometime in the near future (maybe a little smaller, like half this size) Looking foward to riding with some of the new people we met on this ride.

Freaky Franky and Mighty Warlock had a real battle getting down and had to work really hard at it, but they like everyone else made it down okay.

Dstepper, I didn't hear of anybody getting sick.

Curious, what got you sick?

Jfsh has been drinking from that spring with no ill effects for years.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

Something's tingling
    Quote Originally Posted by Pain Freak

Not that, although finding that spring would have helped. It was hot. The truth is I was nursing a sore throat and congestion the Thursday before the ride and I thought I was feeling better. I guess the hot weather, me sweating, and the cooling winds conspired against me because I had a headache, aches and pains later that night. With that in mind, I can't wait for the next trip out there!

And that last picture was Joy riding the last section of the alleged hike-a-bike on the Plunge.
    Last edited by Curious; 07-04-2006 at 04:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pain Freak
    You all are welcome.

I had a great time as always and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Joy can climb like nobody's business and I am suprised to see that picture. She flew by me on the fireroad climb after I got everyone on the wrong trail and caused us to miss the natural spring and also added about 5 pounds to everyones bike with sludge from the meadow. How many times do I have to tell you people.....I'm directionally challenged???

Like I said I had a great time and I'll lead another ride sometime in the near future (maybe a little smaller, like half this size) Looking foward to riding with some of the new people we met on this ride.

Freaky Franky and Mighty Warlock had a real battle getting down and had to work really hard at it, but they like everyone else made it down okay.

I drank from the spring today...I'll let you know if I get sick...That water tasted great and was freezing cold!!! Locals say no problem drinking it.

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EJBlur
    I drank from the spring today...I'll let you know if I get sick...That water tasted great and was freezing cold!!! Locals say no problem drinking it.

hey all. we are doing this trail on sat. i have done it once before 3 years ago. we got alittle confused when we got to the open meadow area and then where there are trails and roads later on. is there a decent map floating around i can print? and is this secret drinking water place not too hard to find?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    "is there a decent map floating around i can print? and is this secret drinking water place not too hard to find?"

Check out:http://www.mountainbikebill.com/CannellPlunge.htm

On his 4th small map, the trail (singletrack) veers away from the dirt road between CAN12 and CAN13. I would suggest taking the dirt road. There is a mud bog section that goes through meadow if you take the singletrack.
    The spring is on the west side of the dirt road between CAN13 and CAN14. If you take the meadow route, you will have to backtrack down the dirt road (north) to get to the spring.

Something's tingling
    Quote Originally Posted by STJunkie
    "is there a decent map floating around i can print? and is this secret drinking water place not too hard to find?"

Check out:http://www.mountainbikebill.com/CannellPlunge.htm

On his 4th small map, the trail (singletrack) veers away from the dirt road between CAN12 and CAN13. I would suggest taking the dirt road. There is a mud bog section that goes through meadow if you take the singletrack.
    The spring is on the west side of the dirt road between CAN13 and CAN14. If you take the meadow route, you will have to backtrack down the dirt road (north) to get to the spring.
    Ah, no wonder I didn't see the spring. I'll remember that on my return visit. Our little side group went through the meadow. That was a messy journey, but it was fun trying to pedal through it without stopping. Funny moment came when Rob, pedaling a DH bike tried to hop a log and couldn't lift his front tire. Imagine my surprise when your group showed up in front of us climbing the dirt road. And squeaky clean, too!

Super Fly
    That mountain that Joy was hiking up is very steep, especially after riding down the plunge for a long time. I was around her when she started that climb and boy does she look tired. I give her lots of credits. She can climb and she rode down the 1st half of the plunge by her self,( Scary alone).