Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Just another Homer

Cannel Plunge 06

Well, here we go again guys. It's getting close to the time where the pass will be open and that means a screaming descent down the Plunge. Last year we had a great group of guys do this awesome ride and most asked me to lead the way in setting it up again this year.

We won't have to reserve campsites as there will be plenty available. The dates are June 24/25. We will be doing Just Outsatnding and will have to work out or own shuttle situation. The camping can be real cheap if we pair up in the sites. We can have 3 vehicles per site with 6 people at 30 dollars a night so for two nights it works out to 10 each if we fill the sites.Little more or little less, but very affordable.
    We have a thread started at www.socaltrailriders.com already, and we have 5 or 6 already committed. I'll post on a few more boards and will see what happens.

Anybody coming from last year, give a shout.
    Wells
    Jeff
    Matt
    Eric
    Ray
    Scott
    Vic
    Ken
    Santa Barbara guys were real fun, and there were so many more.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Regarding the other site, i think you mean socaltrailriders.org not .com

Just another Homer
    My bad, you're right.
    Toby Keith

TCB
    mtbr member
    I have always wanted to do this ride, count me in.
    If we are sharing campsites, I will bring the beans.
    “How about some more beans Mr. Taggart”
    "No matter where you go there you are" BUCKAROO BANZAI

stay thirsty, my friends
    Here's the exact thread for those who are interested.
    "With that said, until you have done a STR group ride- YOU HAVE NOT LIVED!"
    - dino brown

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    Me go too...oh wait I'm a roadie now....never mind.

Q. “How about some more beans Mr. Taggart”

A. "I believe you've had quite enough"
    It wasn't me

Just another Homer
    Aw come on out Mark, we don't mind a little lycra.
    Toby Keith

Just another Homer
    It's getting closer and it looks like we have about 20+ riders going. This is gonna be a blast!
    Toby Keith

mtbr dismember

Another ride the 17th

If you can't make this ride some of us are going on the 17th. See this thread: Cannell Plunge time!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey there Wolfy, is the plunge open yet?

mtbr dismember

Don't know yet

Quote Originally Posted by Bradtree
    Hey there Wolfy, is the plunge open yet?
    They said it would be open by the 10th. I was planning on calling the shuttle company on the 9th for an update.

member: kv dirt daddies

Sherman Pass

I went in to the local forest service office last Friday and they wouldn't give me any kind of estimate. They said some time in June. The person at the front desk was just repeating what she was told and no one in the office really knew the exact status of the Pass. I can tell you that I was up at 8900' on Memorial day and there was a solid 5 feet of snow still on the ground. Since then the temps here have been below normal until two days ago. The river flow had dropped by 50% so the snow melt really slowed down. It has warmed back up in the last few days and the river is back up to where it was. That means there is still a lot of snow up there. I just don't know where the snow line is. I would be surprised if the Pass opens this weekend and I would guess that the 17th is not for sure. I will try to dig for more info.

mtbr member
    Anyone driving up from San Diego?
    "A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Mike! glad to hear you are going to cannell again and that my name is on the list (even after you met me personally ; ) I would love to go but those dates do not work for me. I am planning on going in august if I can make it happen. I know jfsh is the man up there, so hopefully I can contact him if I go. When are we going to plan a ride in the san gabriels? too late for that already with the heat? A buddy and I would love to come down and hammer with you for a few hours on your fave trails, but with kids and fam-damily to schedule around I just need a bit of notice to obtain the hall pass. We can easily make it a day trip and come down early one saturday or sunday so just let me know. ANYTIME you want to come to SB-land and ride, let me know - it is well worth it. que la vaya bien amigo, -wells

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    heard from good source that OHV at Troy meadows as such will open 29 June!
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

Sherman pass update

I went into the local office again today and they had some good news and some bad news. The gate is still closed and the pass will not be open this weekend. She did say that it would be open soon. Apparently they plowed part of the road and have one lane clear all the way to and over the pass. There are parts of the other lane where the snow has turned so dense that the plow can't do anything with it. They are in the process of getting some kind of heavy equipment up there to bust out those spots. She sounded like they would have this done soon. I'm not exactly sure what soon means. By the way the OHV area at Troy Meadows is open now. You just have to get there from the 395 side.

mtbr dismember

Thanks!

Thanks for the update. So the 17th seems likely?

members only
    Quote Originally Posted by jfsh
    ... The gate is still closed ... one lane clear all the way to and over the pass... .
    Thanks for all this Jeff.
    This kinda thing happened to me like 6 years ago, what MRA did was turn-off just before the gate and takes us down into the Horse Meadow (or is it Troy?) campground area to start the ride. This takes off a few miles of the upper trail and is maybe 1000' lower, I'm not sure exactly.
    Four years ago the pass was open, but there was A LOT of snow, tried riding, but was extremely difficult so we ended up pushing the bikes through snow drifts for a few miles and got wet/cold feet, really a bummer for the rest of the ride. If it's like that I'd rather have them drop me off at the lower elevation/campgrounds...

mtbr dismember

It's a go!

Just got off the phone with the shuttle company and they are shuttling to Sherman Pass tomorrow. The gate is closed but they have the lock combination and permission to shuttle. The gate may even be open to the public by next week anyway. Might be a bit slushy for a bit but they expect the trails to be great!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EMFC
    Anyone driving up from San Diego?
    I'm considering it ... anyone else beside EMFC and I down here in San Diego?

trail conditions

I road the Cannel trail today from Big Meadow down. It looks like this winter was pretty hard on it. It is more rutted and rocky than it was last year. Some of the switchbacks at the bottom have gotten more difficult. It was pretty sandy and dry on the lower section as well (more so than I expected). The upper part of the trail from big meadow down was great as usual. We topped out around 8700' and saw no signs of snow anywhere. With a little work the trail will be right back to where it was last Fall.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Sherman Pass

Did Sherman Pass all the way down. The top was littered with fallen trees and lots of patches of snow in the shade of the trees. Little streams pervaded everywhere as well as flowing along the trail. Constant off the bike until the drop down to big meadow. Yeah the plunge itself was very loose-sandy. The meadows had swampy like boggs in places but doable. Overall conditions by the 17th should be pretty good. The top off sherman will be whoopty-do heaven with out the snow patches. Of course wait till you see the Kern just going off the charts.

mtbr dismember

Thanks guys

I pretty much can't make those gnarly switchbacks at the bottom anyway. And I've always found the Plunge to be pretty sandy. Sounds like it will be fun!

members only
    Quote Originally Posted by jfsh
    .. winter was pretty hard on it... more rutted and rocky.. switchbacks at the bottom .. more difficult. .. 8700' and saw no signs of snow...
    Quote Originally Posted by taffy15
    .. top was littered with fallen trees and lots of patches of snow in the shade.. streams .. everywhere ..meadows had swampy like boggs ... wait till you see the Kern...
    Thanks for the updates!

We'll be staying at Rivernook spot#101 Arriving the 16'th around 8:00pm
    Wolfie: How many bodies on this expedition?

mtbr dismember

Three to four in my group

Quote Originally Posted by ET_SoCal
    Wolfie: How many bodies on this expedition?
    Definites so far are me, Plim and CrashDang. All staying at the Lake Isabella Motel. But CrashDang may be bringing one more. How many you got?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast