banned
    May 2013

Can you help me find this trail? (sycamore west)

I heard there is this trail-head that starts on Mast Blvd, across from the high-school, and runs east, all the way into Sycamore on HWY 62.
    So this entrance would be right near the mission trails park. anyways, anyone know anything about this trail?
    thank you!

Rogue Exterminator
    I hope this is not a trail that people are poaching and you are posting about it on an open forum.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    The trail is the main trail running along the west side of the Sante lakes. It is no secret or unknown. The problem is it skirts the boundary of Miramar and crosses into it at a point Because of this it is a trail that riders have been stopped by military ATVs on.

For the record, you have the directions spot on other than the 62 part. Once you get off at Mast, head east just past the high school. There is a lot on the right side(south) that you can park in. The trail starts just across the street behind the houses that butt up to the hill.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    I hope this is not a trail that people are poaching and you are posting about it on an open forum.
    If you're gonna give him a hard time for his post, bag on him for being lazy and not simply looking at a google satellite view of the area in question (the trail runs north from Mast Blvd.).

BB is right, there have been encounters with the military turning people back, recently, so go at your own risk. Ride it and be respectful if turned back. Perhaps I'm cynical, but it'll be paved over in 10 years so exercise a little civil disobedience and enjoy it while its there.

banned
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ajdonner View Post
    If you're gonna give him a hard time for his post, bag on him for being lazy and not simply looking at a google satellite view of the area in question (the trail runs north from Mast Blvd.).

BB is right, there have been encounters with the military turning people back, recently, so go at your own risk. Ride it and be respectful if turned back. Perhaps I'm cynical, but it'll be paved over in 10 years so exercise a little civil disobedience and enjoy it while its there.
    yeah I thought not even to respond to the first poster. thanks all, one more thing:
    I tried to search Google maps but it is not easy to decipher what's what. It's not as if google labels the trail I am looking for "sycamore west," or whatever.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    It's pretty straightforward - if you see what looks like a trail on google earth, you have the opportunity to do a little legwork and check it out on the ground.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    What your'e gonna find is that San Diego is not all that friendly a place for mountain bikers. For tourists, a big fat welcome mat. But not for cyclists, road or mtb. Especially mtb...
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mantrain View Post
    I heard there is this trail-head that starts on Mast Blvd, (Correct so far) across from the high-school (well, almost - it's just down the street), and runs east (no, it actually runs north) , all the way into Sycamore (meaning Sycamore Canyon County Park) on HWY 62 (there's no Hwy 62 in the area, but Sycamore Canyon does connect to Hwy 67 at the north/northwest end).
    So this entrance would be right near the mission trails park (it's about a mile east of MTRP). anyways, anyone know anything about this trail? (Nawww, nobody here knows anything at all about that trail)
    thank you!

banned
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckanado View Post

Finally an answer I can understand! thanks