Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007

Can 'o worms! Someones startin' a MTB tour company in SD!

Cross post from MA forum:

Survey/Advice

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    EC, I guess I shoulda replied here, rather than the MA forum you linked to...

Where is my mind?
    Was that post in violation of any particular rule in MTBR? There was a similar thread in the Southeast forum, but it seems to have been deleted.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Invalid thread specified?

Why on earth would anyone want to start a tour company in such a crappy place, EC?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you

Why on earth would anyone want to start a tour company in such a crappy place, EC?

Is SD really that bad? I though that San Diego was one of the most sought after tourist destinations in the US.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you
    Invalid thread specified?

I never said SD was a crappy place, you just take things way too seriosly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator Z
    Is SD really that bad? I though that San Diego was one of the most sought after tourist destinations in the US.
    I'm just messing with EC. He prefers the other coast

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007

It is a terrible, horrible sh^t hole

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator Z
    Just advise all of your friends of that. Just a terrible place.
    Any of these places are better and one should surely go there instead.

Arizona
    New England (anywhere there)
    Washington
    San Francisco
    Texas

and many other places.

So don't forget, put the word out, save the money, gas is expensive, San Diego is a terrible place.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Chocula
    I never said SD was a crappy place, you just take things way too seriosly.

who peed on your rug dude?

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by el_d00der1n0
    who peed on your rug dude?
    IT WAS THE CHINAMAN DONNY!

Silence and Thunder...
    Be warned: tourists who come to Sandy Eggo always get mugged and raped by illegal immigrants....

...or is that raped and then mugged....???

...and the field workers -really- like downhill bikes....
    ...every day sends future to past...

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Considering the fact that San Diego doesn't have any LEGAL one-way downhill specific public access trails would limit potential clients to infest our already crowded multi-use trails. Where does this company plan to provide shuttle access to downhill clients? We have enough of a problem with residents involved with trail user conflicts, either between bikes and hikers, bikes and horses, and the biggest problem, bikes and bikes.

I pedal up trails, and I love to blast down trails. I'm a member of IMBA, I know trail etiquette. When I'm going up, I don't want to get run over by some clown thinking he's at Whistler. That said, I sometimes move aside to let the downhiller continue with their flow. When I'm going downhill, I expect to stop and let climbers proceed. Wouldn't it be great to have legal trails that one could go downhill and not worry about hikers, horses, and uphill bikers?

Why doesn't San Diego, the second largest city in California, have legal downhill specific trails? I know a few reasons why. I'd like to hear from others what they think.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulder Pilot
    Considering the fact that San Diego doesn't have any LEGAL one-way downhill specific public access trails would limit potential clients to infest our already crowded multi-use trails. Where does this company plan to provide shuttle access to downhill clients? We have enough of a problem with residents involved with trail user conflicts, either between bikes and hikers, bikes and horses, and the biggest problem, bikes and bikes.

I pedal up trails, and I love to blast down trails. I'm a member of IMBA, I know trail etiquette. When I'm going up, I don't want to get run over by some clown thinking he's at Whistler.
    Thats exactly why I cross posted you guys on this.

Who's looking out for SD? Evil Chocula, thats who.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclopod
    Was that post in violation of any particular rule in MTBR? There was a similar thread in the Southeast forum, but it seems to have been deleted.
    I guess so, it's gone now.
    Love, Impy

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ocd
    Just advise all of your friends of that. Just a terrible place.
    Any of these places are better and one should surely go there instead.

So don't forget, put the word out, save the money, gas is expensive, San Diego is a terrible place.
    Here here!

Don't forget the weather sucks and we have really bad pollution.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dolor
    There's a 600-lb. Gorilla named "Trail Politics" that sometimes makes up for it's 200lb deficit by being especially nasty, vocal, and cunning.
    driving a truck pulling a horse trailer...

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Ray,

I agree with you on the trail politics. What I don't understand, if we as a group of mountain bikers, regardless of riding discipline, cannot get our sh!t together and establish one-way specific trails in this County, we will all suffer.

I'm getting sick and tired of reading and hearing about how downhill riders are going to screw everything up for the rest of us. They are not. All of us are going to screw ourselves if we don't address this situation AND take action to provide this much needed area for one to practice their sport.

As far as liability, I have to disagree. We have skateparks, public parks, hiking trails on public land. The biggest problem I see in Dago is the fact that there is about 17 different land managers, with some public property having 4-6 different land managers. Trying to get all 4-6 land managers to agree on something WE would like to see happen is almost impossible. BUT, if and when trail-user conflict occurs, I think they will be able to come to an unanimous decision that will not be in our, mountain bikers, best interest.

I'm not saying to banish the downhillers, I'm saying San Diego needs to provide areas so that one can practice the sport of downhill mountain biking in a safe, managed area. If this were to happen, trail-user conflicts as a whole could be greatly reduced, making everybody happy. I'm all for making everybody HAPPY!
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Simple solution to the DH only trails. Just find trails that are impossible or near impossible to climb, and voila, you have a DH only trail

If a trail is climbable, then it has to remain multi-use. FLAME SUIT ON...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Wouldn't trails that are almost impossible to climb make the best DH trails anyways? Build them that way. The climbable ones everyone has rights to though.

I've been going to SD every year since I was born and I have to say that it does suck... I'd much rather go up to SF.

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Word!

Quote Originally Posted by Trimen1000
    Wouldn't trails that are almost impossible to climb make the best DH trails anyways? Build them that way. The climbable ones everyone has rights to though.

I've been going to SD every year since I was born and I have to say that it does suck... I'd much rather go up to SF.
    So next year head to SF!!

FOrgot to mention all the uninsured drunks that drive in this town.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trimen1000
    If San Diego sucks so much then why do you keep coming back every year? All SF has to offer is just a bunch of drug induced hippies.

What's up w/ all the SD hating? sure SD has its illegal aliens, I'd rather gamble w/ them, then the hippies up north, plus I sure as hell don't mind danking out on their burritos.

I think people are just jealous of our year round riding climate.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Wouldn't trails that are almost impossible to climb make the best DH trails anyways? Build them that way.
    I don't know where you live and ride, but I can't just grab a shovel and start building a trail on public property. Actually, I can, and others do, but this unauthorized trail building has a negative impact on mountain bikers as a group. Again, if all local mountain bikers do not get organized soon to address this situation, we will see more trail-user conflicts and the real posibility of losing our privilege to ride multi-purpose trails.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    All true, and that's not the half of it. 'Dago is a high-priced, overcrowded hellhole. I've been here 50 years, and I've seen it slide downhill, and I don't mean that like in a DH kinda way.

Do yerself a favor, and go ride in Moab, or Sedona, anywheres but here. Check out more in this little book:

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Perfect-.../dp/1565848322

What a bunch of crap. Although the city politicians are a bunch of corrupt pigs. Then again, where aren't they?

Its only 1" on the map!
    "Why doesn't San Diego, the second largest city in California, have legal downhill specific trails? I know a few reasons why. I'd like to hear from others what they think."

Probably the singular, 800-lb gorilla in this questions' answer is named Liability, but that's of course not ALL there is to it.

There's a 600-lb. Gorilla named "Trail Politics" that sometimes makes up for it's 200lb deficit by being especially nasty, vocal, and cunning.

Okay this is not directed at you or any specific person. It is the generalized group know as "DH/Freeriders".

Legal trails take a lot more work than online b1tching and regenagade shovel work. When that group was asked to get onboard with SDMBA there were lots of people who showed up to give great ideas for "other" people to action on. There was a laundry list of things for that group to go out and investigate. As far as I know, there has been next to nadda coming back as far as getting some of the non-shovel work completed.

Instead that group would rather freaking keep building and riding until there place gets shutdown and then move on to the next illegal place to start all over again. San Diego is never going to have a descent legal downhill freeride scene as long as the DH/FR riders want to do nothing but build and ride.

Ted Williams could become a great legal skills park, but it will not happen unless some DH/FR guys invest some time off the trail on the advocacy front to make it happen. Quite frankly I'm tired of hearing the whining and b1tching from the actionless crowd full of great ideas.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    San Diego is never going to have a descent legal downhill freeride scene as long as the DH/FR riders want to do nothing but build and ride.
    Unfortunately, this was one of the problems that led to the distruction of Hidden Valley up in Huntington Beach. The riders wanted to ride, it was impossible to get them out to get a petition signed.

One of the problems I have seen is the lack of organization of riders, specifically downhill/freeriders. One may think it would be in the best interest of the downhill/freeride group to organize so their voices could be heard. Mtbbill mentions SDMBA. My group has questioned numerous downhillers on why they are not organized, and why they don't belong to SDMBA. The number one answer I have heard was that SDMBA is not interested in downhill specific trail building. I then ask why don't they form their own group to address their specific needs and to make it happen. The number one answer to this question is that they don't know how. That downhillers are in small groups, region specific, and are fearful that bringing attention to the unauthorized trails will lead to them losing these trails and leave them with nothing. Better to have something than to risk going legit and end up with nothing.

Until this attitude changes, there will not be any AUTHORIZED downhill specific trails. And if there are no downhill specific trails, then problems (unauthorized trail building, multi-use trail user conflicts, etc.) will escalate. And if these problems escalate, we ALL will deal with the consequences.

So, if this is what is happening today, what do we do? Mtbbill, you mentioned a "laundry list". Can you get me this "laundry list"?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast