mtbr member
    May 2004

Camping here in SoCal

Hey-
    I have checked out a few camping areas here in socal (sta barbara, mt pala) and was looking for suggestions on other good camping spots w/i 6 hours driving. We were considering Joshua Tree NP, but that seems HOT. Also thinking Borrego or BigBear, but each has its +/-...
    I would not entirely mind if there are no biking trails around, but the main purpose will be hiking, as my gf has no bike (nor skills).

Any advice on the matter would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Well, if it's hiking you're after, and you have a 6-hour drive range, why not consider outstanding venues like Kings Canyon and the eastern Sierra? Even Mammoth Lakes is only 6 hours from LA, if you drive expediently, and there are many great places to camp and hike between the two.

mtbr member
    I see from another post that you're in San Diego. Sticking with your 6-hour range, I'm still thinking Kings Canyon might be of interest.

Have you been to the Lagunas, an hour east of PB? The Laguna Campground is a great place to camp, hang, hike and MTB from, and you'll find it, along with other campgrounds in the area, if you do a general 'net search for Big Laguna Trail.

Big Bear can be great, but campgrounds with running water are few and far between. Check out Serrano, right on the lake, if you want one of those. Some good hikes, including Cougar Crest Trail, are very close to that campground, as are opportunities for boating and parasailing. The gold country, which you can drive/hike, is just up over the ridge in Holcomb Valley, if you're into that.

Check out Idylwild. It's an hour and half north of you, past Temecula and inland. MTB races, good hiking, nice rock climbing nearby.

Screw the hiking: South Carlsbad State Beach. Chill it. Bring longboards for the surf and for the street.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    I also like Upper Oso campground near Santa Barbara. Upper Oso can be the base for some okay hiking, but some really great mountain bike rides to the Little Pine and Cameusa trails. The campground is nice too.

mtbr trail review:
    http://content.mtbr.com/pscTrails/Un...7_4518crx.aspx

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Pt. Mugu (Sycamore Canyon) has hiking and biking in copious amounts right out of the campground and the beach is right across the street.

Second Idyllwild. Hurkey Creek campground would be a good place to camp and hike or bike.

Lake Casitas near Ojai has plenty of both nearby too, but not directly from the campsite.

Big Bear has lots of camping/hiking/biking opportunities.

If it is just hiking, then the Angeles National Forest has numerous campgrounds that allow hiking on nearby trails and many also allow biking. Check the website for that: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/

Here are some other resources:

http://www.tchester.org/sgm/hikes.html

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-parks-9949...s-i-sc-camping

http://areas.wildernet.com/pages/are...ame=California

mtbr member
    May 2004

Nice work guys

That is some really useful stuff...just what i was looking for

Bigger than Big
    Do go to Joshua Tree, just not right now.
    You are correct - Too hot!.
    But go there in the Spring or Fall. It really is an amazing place.
    Great climbing, neat plant and animal life.
    There are meteor showers in August and November every year - a great place to stargaze.
    "Get back to the hills, get back to baby where you belong." - P. Westerberg

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    If you're in the San Diego area, you can check out Palomar mountain. It's an hour north/east of San Diego. Two campgrounds to take a look at up there: Palomar State Park (good trails), and if that's full go to the Observatory Campground (1 hiking trail from the campground). It's really nice up there, but gets warm around August.