Thread: Camping

mtbr member
    May 2006

Camping

Wheres a good place to camp/mountain bike within a 4-6 hour drive from orange.

Play all day
    I'd recommend checking out the campgrounds in Angelus Oaks (near Big Bear). You can hop on the Santa Ana River Trail. The San Gorgonio & Barton Flats campgrounds are both nice. Big Bear has a ton of trails too. Or you can camp at Hurkey Creek in Idyllwild, but it'll be a bit hotter there (lower elevation). They have a bunch of great trails right from the campground.

mtbr member
    The Laguna mountain area is a wonderful place for riding. There are several campgrounds like Paso Pichaco, Green Valley and Laguna Mountain. There is also the William Heise campground in Julian.

Floater
    If you drive like I do, you can get to Mammoth

Floater
    Actually, Jinks and Reign2 made some excellent suggestions. I made day trips to Big Bear twice this past week and had some excellent rides. Mount Laguna area is great too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Floater
    Actually, Jinks and Reign2 made some excellent suggestions. I made day trips to Big Bear twice this past week and had some excellent rides. Mount Laguna area is great too.
    Agreed!! Big Bear has some great camping and trails.

There's a bunch of us going down to Laguna Meadows/El Prado Campground YERBA SANTA Site this weekend, which offers access to Noble Canyon rides. This will be my first time there, but I'm told it's awesome riding!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Another for Hurkey Creek in Idyllwild. I think it's going to be 85 this weekend (supposedly) so should be nice. Good campground with coin operated showers. You can ride down the road a bit and climb up Thomas Mountain and descend the Ramona Trail, ride the 24 hour loop at Hurkey Creek, or check out one of the Idyllwild Spring Challenge routes. Very good stuff.

May be cooler at a higher elevation, though.

mtbr member
    Camp at Idyllwild COunty Park in IDyllwild in summer its cooler then Hurkey Creek because its 1000-2000 fett higher and shadier.
    Warrior's Society > WarriorsSociety.org
    Team Sho-Air > Team-shoair.com
    Coolest LBS > Switchbackcylery.com
    Socal Riders Unite > Socaltrailriders.org

mtbr member
    May 2006
    thanks for all the info

im thinking either mammoth(i can get there pretty fast) or big bear will be good for what i want to do.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoink
    thanks for all the info

im thinking either mammoth(i can get there pretty fast) or big bear will be good for what i want to do.
    I'd hit Kernville or some other area of the Southern Sierras before Mammoth.
    "Do not touch the trim"

member: kv dirt daddies

Kernville

All the trails are open up here and the mountains are nice and cool. It is hot down in town but there are many camping options up at elevation. There is a lot of good stuff here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you
    Another for Hurkey Creek in Idyllwild. I think it's going to be 85 this weekend (supposedly) so should be nice. Good campground with coin operated showers. You can ride down the road a bit and climb up Thomas Mountain and descend the Ramona Trail, ride the 24 hour loop at Hurkey Creek, or check out one of the Idyllwild Spring Challenge routes. Very good stuff.

May be cooler at a higher elevation, though.
    Ditto...

Had a chance to experience these recently...great riding!