mtbr member

Camp Nelson freeride this weekend

Anyone want to ride up at camp nelson this weekend? Sat or Sunday. I want to get up there again before it snows.
    Geno

Kern River Valley Riding: http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/KRV-MTB/

Over the Hill
    Yep stjunkie and I will be there. Driving up Friday afternoon staying Quaking Aspen Campground...nothing around here to ride.

Dean

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    What trails do you guys plan to ride up there?

mtbr member
    check your pm
    Geno

It's not what you think.
    There's freeride at Camp Nelson? When I was there this is all I saw, but what do I know, I'm from GA. BTW, Camp Nelson is one of my all time favs!
    SORBA-Woodstock Diggin' dirt since 1999.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Freewalk

Quote Originally Posted by GeneHacker
    Anyone want to ride up at camp nelson this weekend? Sat or Sunday. I want to get up there again before it snows.
    Hey Gene - I'll be in Camp Nelson on Sat - (buddy is looking at a property there) - but my shoulder isn't up for any kind of freeriding yet - it'll have to be next (late) spring when the snow melts...

btw - bought a Pyranha Burn last weekend in k-ville - plan on taking it down the Forks next year....
    "Cram as much pleasure into life, and rail against the pain you have to suffer as a result" - Shane MacGowan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by macrider
    Hey Gene - I'll be in Camp Nelson on Sat - (buddy is looking at a property there) - but my shoulder isn't up for any kind of freeriding yet - it'll have to be next (late) spring when the snow melts...

btw - bought a Pyranha Burn last weekend in k-ville - plan on taking it down the Forks next year....

Thats a sweet neighborhood. I would love to have a cabin there but its a long way around when the roads are closed in the winter.

You'll dig the Burn...everyone I know that paddles one loves it.
    Geno

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thats a sweet neighborhood. I would love to have a cabin there but its a long way around when the roads are closed in the winter.

You'll dig the Burn...everyone I know that paddles one loves it.
    yeah - this cabin is actually at the bottom of the other fun trail in there - right on the Tule - totally insane location - where else can you live or vacation IN a Sequoia grove? - since my buddy is an LA based guy - if he buys it he can always head up via Porterville in winter - I thought they kept the rode over to Kernville open almost all the time?

I read so many great reviews of the Burn - and my Stubby was growing a little long in the tooth for creeking - and really isn't an ideal shape for bigger water - my playboat is a little TOO playful for when Chemise Gorge gets pumping
    "Cram as much pleasure into life, and rail against the pain you have to suffer as a result" - Shane MacGowan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by macrider
    yeah - this cabin is actually at the bottom of the other fun trail in there - right on the Tule - totally insane location - where else can you live or vacation IN a Sequoia grove? - since my buddy is an LA based guy - if he buys it he can always head up via Porterville in winter - I thought they kept the rode over to Kernville open almost all the time?
    I think I might know which cabin your talking about. Between the log bridge and the road...it has a for sale by owner sign on it.

The road being closed is actually a bit political. That area is all Tulare County. Kernville (last gas station/food ect) is Kern County. Tulare county dosn't want to maintain a road that dosn't produce tax revenue for them...they want folks to come in from the north.

The real bummer is when the road is dry but its still closed. Last year a friend of mine was in Springville trying to get over to the kern for boating. There was a sign saying road closed ahead. They saw a cop at a gas station and asked about it. The cop was a begginer kayaker and once he found out that they just came off Hospital rock and were headed to run Dry Meadow creek he told them to just drive around the close signs...they did and the road was totally clear. It wasn't opened for another two weeks after that. Its a total drag for forks trip and local climbers that want to hit the needles.

Ever boated on the Tule? Its good stuff. Solid for sure. The bed rock rapids were awesome. We ran it a couple years ago. Last year it never came in.
    Geno

5 x 5
    Trippy. I just popped over to

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/KRV-MTB/

from Geno's signature, and there's a photo of a cat catching some air, with a bunch of dudes snapping photos. And I'm looking at one guy in a green jersey, going, "Hey, that looks like a Palisades jersey" - which, like, no one has. I looked closer, thinking, "That looks like me." But that's impossible. But it really looks like me.

Holy moly, it is me. How is this possible?

Clearly, this must have been the XXXX XXXXX ride from 9/9/07. We must all have been riding together. Cool.

Have fun up there this weekend. Clean air, yup.

Bill
    "Check out dude."
    "Dude, crazy."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think I might know which cabin your talking about. Between the log bridge and the road...it has a for sale by owner sign on it.

The road being closed is actually a bit political. That area is all Tulare County. Kernville (last gas station/food ect) is Kern County. Tulare county dosn't want to maintain a road that dosn't produce tax revenue for them...they want folks to come in from the north.

The real bummer is when the road is dry but its still closed. Last year a friend of mine was in Springville trying to get over to the kern for boating. There was a sign saying road closed ahead. They saw a cop at a gas station and asked about it. The cop was a begginer kayaker and once he found out that they just came off Hospital rock and were headed to run Dry Meadow creek he told them to just drive around the close signs...they did and the road was totally clear. It wasn't opened for another two weeks after that. Its a total drag for forks trip and local climbers that want to hit the needles.

Ever boated on the Tule? Its good stuff. Solid for sure. The bed rock rapids were awesome. We ran it a couple years ago. Last year it never came in.
    That IS the cabin - we'll see what happens - I'm pretty stoked to have it as a base to do trailwork and ride next year - saw a LOT of riders up there Sat & Sun - saw a few guys with tools in their packs riding down the road - so I guess work still progresses huh?
    also saw MRA had a bunch of people running shuttle runs - not sure I like seeing that - I feel like the more peeps, the more chance the NFS has to see what is going on and maybe weigh in on it...

we stopped and checked out the Tule on the way back to LA - saw an amazing waterfall (about 15'?) - looks like a nice pool below - so what is the Tule rated? I'd love to take the Burn down and get some pool & drop in...

hiked out to Needles lookout - saw some mtn bike tracks - insane view from out there - it was nice the rain washed out the smoke in the Kern valley on sat night

mtbr member
    We ended up having 9 riders. It was beautiful with the color change.

The Middle tule is solid Class V. I would put it on par with NF Kaweah...maybe a bit harder. There is some pretty big stuff in there and its stacked pretty tight. I remember the really lovin the bedrock drops and being very scared in the boulder drop stuff (about 50/50 mix). Quality run for sure...like everything in the S.Sierra!

Geno
    Geno

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Did you ride the Freeman Creek trail? I'm wondering what it's like after the FS "improvements" (widening by small bulldozer) done last year. It used to be great, narrow singletrack and hopefully will be again.

Over the Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog
    Did you ride the Freeman Creek trail?
    Not this trip, did it last trip in September. Yes they have taken equipment down and widened it....all the way to George Bush Tree. Not worth the climb back out...we are still scouting routes to make a loop out there...

What is it like? It is still a beautifull canyon, bummer that the trail is 4 foot wide without a rock in it. Had some horse traffic a tad loose but very ridable.

Dean

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I rode it August of '06 thinking it would be the great trail from the year before. I went from the bottom to the top fighting 4-6" deep dust on the 6' wide trail the whole way. At the top, a FS contract trail worker was just shutting down the mini-dozer. His first words to me were "I bet you really hate me right now don't you?". I laughed but did voice my regret at the newly widened path compared to what it was. He said the work was done for horse traffic and would probably never be repeated. I hope not! At least the sequioas are still spectacular!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    We ended up having 9 riders. It was beautiful with the color change.

The Middle tule is solid Class V. I would put it on par with NF Kaweah...maybe a bit harder. There is some pretty big stuff in there and its stacked pretty tight. I remember the really lovin the bedrock drops and being very scared in the boulder drop stuff (about 50/50 mix). Quality run for sure...like everything in the S.Sierra!

Geno
    It was nutty up there with the oaks changing - even got some Aspens up by the Ponderosa with glorious gold....

hmmm - solid class V is something I avoid these days - after a serious maytag-ing on the upper Kern that was a near-death for me, I just feel like good class IV is more my style...

we'll have to ride and paddle next year when my shoulder is all better!