Thread: Camp Nelson

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Camp Nelson

Are their any special passes or permits required to ride up there?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

nope

not yet. it is pretty wide open for bikes the trail from quaken aspen to camp nelson is sweet. it might still be in the snow though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Sweet! I've gotten that impression from the forum. Was in the backcountry in the Sierras over Memorial Day and there was definitely a lot of snow still up there. Hoping the lower elevation at Camp Nelson would mean all the snow would be gone by now. Guess I'll find out this weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Any trail advice for this area would be much appreciated. Having trouble finding maps online, and this area does not appear to be in any of my three socal mtb books!

mtbr member
    It's a wee bit out there....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm bringin ma banjo. Giddyup

member: kv dirt daddies
    Did you go? What were the snow and deadfall conditions? What trails did you ride?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    There is still plenty of snow up there at higher elevations (>7,000'). We tried to ride Mill Creek and up to Summit, but it was not possible due to all of the snow banks. We ended up only riding the Camp Nelson trail, which was snow free. The trail is in great condition and well maintained. It was a great time.

mtbr member
    Camp Nelson, to Quaking Aspen even to Freemen Creek are all bad ass riding . Looking to take a red eye drive up there. Leaving on a Sunday afternoon and coming back Tuesday night. Let me know...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I meant to say Freeman Creek. There was still too much snow to ride this trail last weekend.

mtbr member
    I want to go and will leave Sunday eve come back Tuesday night!!!

tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004
    doublegrande,

we are going up this wknd to ride Camp Nelson, and possibly Mill Creek. Just so I'm not confused, you meant that you tried to ride Freeman Creek not Mill Creek....correct?

If so, does anyone know the conditions of Mill Creek? I've never ridden it, but will be in Bodfish and it seems rather close. Is it worth the time?

thanks for any info/input you give me,
    -tep

mtbr member
    Freeman Creek, Camp Nelson and Quaking Aspen are all excellent rides don't waist your time on Cannel. Never rode Mill Creek. I can't make it up there until someone joins and in mid July.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tep
    doublegrande,

we are going up this wknd to ride Camp Nelson, and possibly Mill Creek. Just so I'm not confused, you meant that you tried to ride Freeman Creek not Mill Creek....correct?

If so, does anyone know the conditions of Mill Creek? I've never ridden it, but will be in Bodfish and it seems rather close. Is it worth the time?

-tep
    I meant to say Freeman Creek trail (it's right by the Quaking Aspen campground). I think by the time you go quite a bit more of the snow will be melted, but the problem is at higher elevation. All the trails at 7,000 ft and above have the potential to still have snow banks on them. They don't get enough sun being tucked away in the forest. Plus it was pretty cool up there compared to Camp Nelson.
    I don't know anything about Mill Creek.

Some interesting maps from mountainbike bill.

doublegrande,

-tep
    Tep Mill creek is clear. I rode it several weeks ago. The trail is awesome, a real bombfest. Over 4000' of decent and only 300' of climbing. Remington Ridge is great as well. The only problem is that the shuttle is long. We usually hire a shuttle driver.

Quote Originally Posted by mpmffitz
    Freeman Creek, Camp Nelson and Quaking Aspen are all excellent rides don't waist your time on Cannel. Never rode Mill Creek. I can't make it up there until someone joins and in mid July.
    Those other trails are great but I don't how you can call Cannell a waist of time. How can 8-9000' of decent be a waist? I suppose it is all about what type of trail you are looking for.

mtbr member
    I have done Cannel just my choice to go elsewhere, the mid Cannel portion is what I was referring to . The plunge is epic..

tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004
    thanks jfsh that's info I was looking for??

any suggestions where I could find a driver??

also, is it an easy to trail to follow? how long of a descent? if we get a driver, care to join?

thanks as always for the help,
    -tep

thanks jfsh that's info I was looking for??

any suggestions where I could find a driver??

also, is it an easy to trail to follow? how long of a descent? if we get a driver, care to join?

thanks as always for the help,
    -tep
    The driver we use is booked allready this weekend. You kind of have to know where you are going to do the shuttle. Mill Creek is easy to follow with no real forks. Remington is less obvious with several key turns and forks.

Mill takes about an hour, Remington is areound 2 hours and has some climbing at the start.

I am working this weekend.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

I'm heading up 4th of July

It'll be my first time up there. Any Kernville veterans or locals out there care to show us around. I've got some decent scotch...

Seems like the consensus is to camp at quaking aspen right?

A bunch of us will be up there camping at Quaking Aspen. I hope you have reservations already because I think the campground is full.

mtbr member
    Oh it is full July 18 thru 21????
    If so I'll kick it at Freemen Creek campground or a fricken motel..so far no takers fir this event so I don't knowif I'll even go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If you guys are looking for a tour guide with a shuttle driver/van and/or cabin rentals to enjoy the local Camp Nelson trails, Google us at sequoiamountainadventures (sorry I can't post links or images yet) or call (559) 762-2267.

Thanks,

Shidan
    Sequoia Mountain Adventures

mtbr member
    Camp Nelson area is great. Quaking Aspen campground is a good base-camp. Here's a little vid from last year.

Bear Creek/Camp Nelson August 2010 from Nick Buck on Vimeo.

Have a nice ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hi Leahpatra here, The Nelson Trail has great conditions! I offer free shuttle service if you book a room Ponderosa Vacation Rental - VRBO 563617 - 1 BR Sequoia, Kings Canyon Cabin in CA, Sequoia National Forest Adjacent Ponderosa Guest Cabin
    559-542-2312