Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2012

Camp Elliot East/Mission Trails north of 52 latest developments

I have decideded to jump into this with both feet. I just found out a lot about what is going on. We as recreationists do have a voice and can make a difference. I am going to join the SDMBA and get involved

The City Park and Rec is not happy at all with the unauthorized trails people have built on city land. This is the real issue. MTRP does not own these lands yet, and does not have authority to close them down, but the city could. The driving force is the US Fish and Wildlife and California Fish and Wildlife pushing the city to manage their open space lands.

There will be single track trails north of the 52 and not all of the land is sensitive habitat. There is a struggle with people who want no public access versus the rest of us who want access.

Trying to keep trails open on certain sensitive lands wil not happen, no matter what. We need to stay focused on what we can do.

I got a lot more info I can devulge later. Maps, etc.

Bill

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I know a bunch of this has been posted before, but this is what I have come up with.

The City along with stakeholders have drafted a revised Master Plan that includes the land north of 52. The idea is that as the City acquires these parcels, they will have a management strategy in place to manage them.

The revised Master Plan will manage recreation which means some trails will be closed and we may get some new ones.

Allied Climbers of San Diego has been working on this for years. There are numerous rock climbing areas in the park that were shut down years ago and Allied Climbers have been trying to get them opened. They have also been watching and participating in the public workshops for the Master Plan update as one of San Diego most popular bouldering locations is within East Elliot. Allied Climbers is VERY concerned that they will lose access to this great area to climb.

Mountain Bikers (SDMBA) have been a vocal presence at every public workshop, asking for a reasoning and justification for restricting recreation.

As the City works through the Master Planning process there will be an opportunity for public comment and involvement.

The Draft revised Master Plan has not gone out for public comment yet. The plan will ultimately need council approval.

KTU&A Mark Carpenter is the lead consultant on the project for the City

MTRP Foundation has information from the public workshops posted online. The Plan has undergone revisions since the last workshop.

As you can see from the map (link below) some of the trails located in the canyon areas of east Elliot would be closed.

This map does not reflect the actual trail system of east Elliot which is much more comprehensive.

http://www.ktuaprojects.com/mtrp/PW3...oncept_PW3.pdf

The City is under pressure from the resource agencies (US Fish and Wildlife Service and California Department of Fish and Wildlife) to restrict recreation to protect resources. The City must balance this with the publicís desire to access these lands. Itís a tough position they are in and it will ultimately lead to closures of public lands to protect natural resources.

The MTRP Citizens Advisory committee and the MTRP Task Force are public venues to express concerns over the park management. These meetings are open to the public.

I am extremely passionate about maintaining and increasing access to public lands. Public lands of course are owned by the public and we are the public.

The way lands are being managed today I believe that we will continue to lose our ability to enjoy them.

If you enjoy riding East Camp Elliot, or you live close by, or both like me get involved and start by joining SDMBA. I belong to so many organizations already, I figure why not one more?

There it is non political at that : )
    Bill

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle . . . a sensible and informed post about what's happening in East Elliott. I'm glad you still have passion and are willing to work to remedy the coming closures. Given the history of the area and the nonsense that's going on at Del Mar Mesa, I find it hard to be optimistic that even the hardest work will effect even a moderate change.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    "The City is under pressure from the resource agencies (US Fish and Wildlife Service and California Department of Fish and Wildlife) to restrict recreation to protect resources."

Stop voting for anyone that calls themselves an environmentalist!!! Look for recreationalists instead.
    If not biking, then what?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MTP View Post
    "The City is under pressure from the resource agencies (US Fish and Wildlife Service and California Department of Fish and Wildlife) to restrict recreation to protect resources."

Stop voting for anyone that calls themselves an environmentalist!!! Look for recreationalists instead.
    In this instance, the problem is not with elected officials, but with bureaucrats -- DF&G is calling the tune and is telling the County to dance. When was the last time you voted a DF&G bureaucrat into office?

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Who do you think appoints the overlord bureaucrats? The kooks appoint like-minded individuals to powerful, but stealthy posts.
    If not biking, then what?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I love fire-road.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    MTP, has nailed it. The environmentalists and eco-freaks run the city and hence they drive policy making.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips View Post
    MTP, has nailed it. The environmentalists and eco-freaks run the city and hence they drive policy making.
    You don't know what you're talking about -- DF&G is upset because in their eyes the City of San Diego isn't doing enough to protect the plants and animals out there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Canaan View Post
    You don't know what you're talking about -- DF&G is upset because in their eyes the City of San Diego isn't doing enough to protect the plants and animals out there.
    If I can't find it on Fox News, it AIN'T NEWS!!!!!
    Come to think of it, the USMC colonel who is the CO of Miramar was ON Fox News, complaining about the "mtb Menace"....the anchors were fawning all over his every word!

Guess I'll have to Do the Right Thing, and turn myself in.....
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Just follow the money trail. Look what special interest groups have contributed to the campaigns of the city counsel and mayor. And look at the bureaucrats they've appointed. You're blind. You need to open your eyes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips View Post
    Just follow the money trail. Look what special interest groups have contributed to the campaigns of the city counsel and mayor. And look at the bureaucrats they've appointed. You're blind. You need to open your eyes.
    This is amusing -- show me the money trail you're talking about. What special interest groups contributed to the mayor (who is no longer in office) and the city counsel [sic] to close these trails? Does it occur to you that BillinSD and others may have facts that you don't?

mtbr member
    Facts are irrelevant to extremists regardless of their political leanings and he is obviously one of the rightward leaning varieties. Attempting any type of discussion or debate with those types is pointless.

This is amusing -- show me the money trail you're talking about. What special interest groups contributed to the mayor (who is no longer in office) and the city counsel [sic] to close these trails? Does it occur to you that BillinSD and others may have facts that you don't?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Man, I wrote a wonderful response and goofed it up. Anyway Conservatives/Libertarians are not the problem, they are a solution. Less rules, less regulations. Sounds good to me. Bill
    Last edited by Billinsd; 09-15-2013 at 09:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Name:  george-bush-a-ok.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  10.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Billinsd View Post
    Man, I wrote a wonderful response and goofed it up. Anyway Conservatives/Libertarians are not the problem, they are the solution. Less rules, less regulations. Sounds good to me. Bill

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sorry I got side tracked on politics. I gotta stay on point and focused. Bill

mtbr member
    Sorry I got side tracked on politics. I gotta stay on point and focused. Bill
    Nah you were alright, torsp mistook Bushie for maybe a conservative when he's a progressive/neocon. The progressive ilk that took over the See Air Uh Club etc are the ones causing the problem for mtbers. Same sort of thing with Ray further above where Fox is associated with being rightwing, so hilarious, when all this time Rupert Murdich is a member of CFR, a far left NWO organization(Agenda 21, "sustainable growth" blah blah blah). Can't even make this **** up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    Can't even make this **** up!
    Bloody hell mate, I think you just did.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 65mph12 View Post
    Nonsense. Somebody else made that up for him.

Meanwhile, the trails will continue to be closed, while these dum-dums are arguing over nonexistent facts. At least SOMEBODY is focused: the DF&G.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 65mph12 View Post
    Rupert Murdock is a member of CFR.

Membership Roster - Council on Foreign Relations

mtbr member
    Yes, I know. The only factual bit in jack's entire contribution to the thread.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Rupert Murdock is a member of CFR.

Membership Roster - Council on Foreign Relations
    as is Bill and Chelsea Clinton....
    San Diego needs singletrack

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    At least SOMEBODY is focused: the DF&G.
    With our help via Strava.

Stravathletes, I implore you. Join me in setting your poached rides to "private" and stop contributing to the closure of great trails.

Wait, weren't we talking politics?

Jeff

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Keep on fiddling while the trails get closed. Divide and Conquer. I'm sure Management is having a great time monitoring this thread, and others like it, that devolve into partisan bickering instead of focusing on solutions to specific problems.

But what did I really expect from a place known as eMpTyBeeR?

mtbr member
    I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast