Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Call out to Hummingbird Trail Crew

3K views 42 replies 19 participants last post by  ET_SoCal 
#1 ·
rode the trail the other day and I am glad you did some work

but

you took 2 rocks out that give you some air
you filled in ruts towards the end that give the trail some ball$
and you (I don't what you were trying to do to some of those corners).....you took down the edge your tire sticks to when railing corners

so my question is why or what you were trying to do to the corners by making the trail wider:nono: :nono: and taking the edge away (better served working on the inside of the turn because most people ride this part)

why take out the 2 rocks (one almost the last turn then you do that last descend and the other on a straitaway that you can boost (step up) into that little hill)

why take out the ruts.......I mean if you want a smooth trail go over to the Handicapped accessible trail called Chumash....this is Hummingbird....I originally helped build this trail in 1991.....very discouraging that the trail was pu$$ified...while I am at it...man I hate how Chumash little rockgardens were taking out too...it is mountain biking....not sidewalk riding...we have obstacles...be a better rider by conquering not taking the what you percieve hard out

See less See more
#27 ·
Speaking of Trail Crew

Is there an easy way to return to Chumash trailhead? We just rode up Chumash down Hummingbird today and ran into major construction where there was once open land. We started to cross but the boss on the site intercepted us and said "Get the F--- off my job!".

Attached in a G.Earth picture. The pale line is a GPS track made in February. The brown is a rough outline of the boundaries of earth-moving. Their work line abuts the freeway.

Attachments

#28 ·
Builders have started grading earth at the "bottom trailhead" of hummingbird getting ready to put up another parking lot, as the song goes.

So is it still an official trailhead? Was it ever? If it was it's probably history now.

When I rode it on Friday everybody just walked right through the site, or you can do what I did and ride through the tunnel ( the wash ) under the 118 and climb over the fence at the other side at Keuner but I don't recommend that because you have to be nuts to try it.

Maybe the Simi Valley Trail Blazers will know more.

#29 ·
pacman said:
Is there an easy way to return to Chumash trailhead? We just rode up Chumash down Hummingbird today and ran into major construction where there was once open land. We started to cross but the boss on the site intercepted us and said "Get the F--- off my job!".

Attached in a G.Earth picture. The pale line is a GPS track made in February. The brown is a rough outline of the boundaries of earth-moving. Their work line abuts the freeway.
I think untill construction is done you are on city streeets for a while

#30 ·
last time i was there we parked at the Chumash trailhead by all the houses. After the ride another group came down and went down the street the houses are on and then jumped back into the dirt at the end of the street, before the street turns to the right. They hit a little FR by the looks of it and climbed the little hill. When we were driving onto the freeway we could see them coming down the backside of that hill, either drop straight down or swichback down. Not sure where it went from there, but it may be something to look into. Maybe G.E. will show it?

scott

BTW, if you are ever out that way and would like more company on the ride, please lemme know!

#31 ·
scottay said:
last time i was there we parked at the Chumash trailhead by all the houses. After the ride another group came down and went down the street the houses are on and then jumped back into the dirt at the end of the street, before the street turns to the right. They hit a little FR by the looks of it and climbed the little hill. When we were driving onto the freeway we could see them coming down the backside of that hill, either drop straight down or swichback down. Not sure where it went from there, but it may be something to look into. Maybe G.E. will show it?

scott

BTW, if you are ever out that way and would like more company on the ride, please lemme know!
are you talking about that little trail that run along the freeway fence???

#33 ·
Construction access

That's one of my company's grading jobs. No provision was made for recreational trails in this project, which is typical for Simi Valley. The southern end of the dirt road below the happy face will dump out into a desilting basin, with no access. The northern end of the dirt road will be cut off by a new paved road (continuation of Mt. Sinai Dr.) which accesses the north end of the new project. This new paved road will fill the canyon below the happy face, and the road in that canyon, which is how most people used to cross the ridge. It is feasible, with a retaining wall and $40,000 (approximate), to build a trail from the new paved road northward to join the existing dirt road that circles the east side of the cemetary (I'm looking at the grading plan as I write this), but that possibility has never been proposed by the property owner, the City, or the engineer. It may be proposed by the Trail Blazers once they get a look at the finished slope, but the northern end of the trail is still on private land so the proposal isn't likely to get far. No grading is currently planned along the bottom of Hummingbird. If this doesn't turn into a gated community, you will be able to ride Mt. Sinai Drive from Kuehner all the way to Yosemite, possibly by the end of next winter.

Am I the only cyclist who submitted a written statement during the public comment period for this project?

#34 ·
Thanks for the info

ScottR1 said:
Am I the only cyclist who submitted a written statement during the public comment period for this project?
It's good to get info about the construction that's going on, even if it is mostly bad news. The Chumash-Johnson-Hummingbird ride is one of my favorites (though I don't get to ride it that much), and this is going to be a major disruption.

I would have loved to have submitted comments, but of course I had no idea what was proposed. It's hard to find out about projects that aren't in your own area. CORBA is one possible mechanism for getting the word out on projects like this, but only if they know about it, and I'm sure in a place with as much activity as the LA area it's impossible to find out about everything that might affect mountain bikers. If anyone finds out about something that might affect mountain bikers, it would be good to tell CORBA or the local mountain bike association, so they can get the word out. It could make a difference!

#37 ·
h-bird was fine...am i the only one who thinks "trail work" should be done when the dirt is somewhat moist and manageable?????in the heat the dirt doesnt stick too well...if hikers did the work hooray for them, and bad timing, any work done will be gone after the santa anas kick up....also that trail didnt see much rain at all this winter so what was there to fix????
hikers, sidewalks are soooooo fun stick to them... god created asphalt so yuppie sierra clubbers can hike......(see the trail of a hundered giants)

#38 ·
CORBA does a weak job of reaching out to riders that are not already on their mailing lists.

They know about this board. They know about ridemonkey, and they know about all the xc clubs in the area.

It would take them 5 minutes to post to all those groups, them, but nope they just post to their members.

These kind of missed meetings happen all the time.

#39 · (Edited)
dusthuffer said:
CORBA does a weak job of reaching out to riders that are not already on their mailing lists.

They know about this board. They know about ridemonkey, and they know about all the xc clubs in the area.

It would take them 5 minutes to post to all those groups, them, but nope they just post to their members.

These kind of missed meetings happen all the time.
So maybe this is the role you could play for CORBA!

You see the need and it seems obvious and easy for you. If CORBA is anything like the NORCAL clubs I know, it is run by volunteers who ride, have careers and families, and try to keep it all in balance. (edited for clarity)

#40 ·
no, I won't volunteer because it takes hours and hours and hours to post something to the socal forum and I have a family you know, and I'm a volunteer, and I have a career you know? I don't have those thousands of hours to post corba meetings to the socal board on mtbr and that's not including ridemonkey! If I also logged onto ridemonkey, that's another hour. and if I had to actually navigate to the socal forum, that's well I can't count that high.

#41 ·
dusthuffer said:
no, I won't volunteer because it takes hours and hours and hours to post something to the socal forum and I have a family you know, and I'm a volunteer, and I have a career you know? I don't have those thousands of hours to post corba meetings to the socal board on mtbr and that's not including ridemonkey! If I also logged onto ridemonkey, that's another hour. and if I had to actually navigate to the socal forum, that's well I can't count that high.
:confused: Say what? I'm not trying to give you a hard time here, but I don't understand the point of your irony or sarcasm or whatever. I'm sure you have a life too.

#42 ·
Hey I know the corba people. Like,I ride with them. I appreciate them.

They put in massive amounts of work and time, but I laugh when they don't do some of the easy stuff that takes hardly any time, like posting to the popular message boards. They sort of spread information only amongst their members and tight little circle of friends and friendly clubs.

Actually I think they probably don't want too many crazies from mtbr showing up at the meetings, they're probably a step ahead of me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.