mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Call to Action: Sycamore BMX track in Simi threatened

Simi is at risk to lose their BMX Track to some condos and a Miniture Golf Course. Don't let this happen... check the link below for more info on how you can help

http://www.sinaloapark.info/BMX_Bicycle_Park.html
    Simi Cycling Center
    Simi's Premier Bicycle Shop, Since 1975
    Specialized, Giant and More...

just along for the ride
    Bring your guns!

Sorry its a surfing thing... Like Thursday!

mtbr member
    Is there a hieght limit for miniture golf?

mtbr member
    i hope they dont tear down the track. that is where i got my start at the tender age of 13. that led me into some of the best years of my life on a bike and if it wasnt for bmx racing i would have never progressed into riding downhill.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    amen bigehit - I grew up racing at that track (known as the "ralphs track" when I was racing) as well as Saticoy and devonshire downs before they all disappeared... hopefully we can prevent that from happening to Sycamore BMX!
    Simi Cycling Center

mtbr member
    i'm really no tmuch of a public activist but there has got to be some sort of way to make a good argument to the city development people to provethe removal of the track would hurt the community. i have seen a lot of people make the point that the track does promote a drug and alcohol free environment for kids. What i'm curious about is if there is any way of proving negative affect on the community such as taking the "legal " track away causing kids to build tracks illegaly in vacant fields(if there are any left in simi anyways). One thign i do remember was that for a while simi had a problem with pirate tracks and kids riding local parks as if they were skate parks and the owners of the track actually made a pretty brutal seperate dirt jump section just for kids like me who raced and had a seperate bike you had for going big at the local pirate trails. I think it worked but then I think an insurance issue came up. I think if someone hasnt done so yet i think they should play several weekends of maybe like open riding days where riders who are not ABA members can come ride the track for a small fee and participate in races to maybe raise money to fund any other efforts to save the track. Maybe even have a day for mtb hucksters. because i'm sure we have a few of us in simi.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I will speak to my Cannondale and Specialized reps to see if they would be interested in speaking with the track representation to do some sort of fundraiser or other demonstration to prove the city needs a BMX track more than they need a mini golf course!
    Simi Cycling Center

mtbr member
    All you need is to pay a few bucks for an aba memership and you can go out to practice, which is cheap considering you get a gate and lights. Clean environment and a ligit spot to ride are good arguments. The track is still open yeah, may have to dust of my cruiser and participate.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I will spread the word about this on the CORBA and OTB sites!
    www.corbamtb.com CORBA-Working for MTB Access in the L.A. area.
    www.otbmbc.com

mtbr member
    el presidente thanks for the help with the word.

also about the post on payign for the member ship. that woudl be awesoem to do but the fact is that some of us dont have aba legit bikes anymore so that is why i was thinkign fo havign an open ride type of day where even non members could come ride and see the track. it woudl be a good way to draw new peopel to the track to. therefor makign more of an arguement to keep the track.

mtbr member
    When you fill out an ABA membership they ask your age and what class ie 20"/cruiser, a bike specificly isn't required unless you"re racing. They'll let let you ride a big bike during practice, provided you are wearing a helmet, gloves, long sleeve shirt and long pants or knee pads.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I dont want that place to go away, its way fun to go there on my hardtail and mess around.

mtbr member
    hey trail bait. do you know if they will allow dh bike on the track? that could be kind of fun to go and try and pump the tight sections and just bomb the big stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bigEhit
    hey trail bait. do you know if they will allow dh bike on the track? that could be kind of fun to go and try and pump the tight sections and just bomb the big stuff.

I'm pretty sure you can ride a dh bike on practice days, i've seen people do it.

mtbr member
    I've seen them there before the pump sections pretty tight for a cruiser, but the barrell jump on the start is big and the tables out of turn 1 are sweet. The track opens at 5:00 they'll let you look at it before you sign up or pay, it's not the movie theatre.

Stray Bullet
    I've done plenty of races on my 4X bike at both Sycamore and Bellflower. A cruiser is defined as bike with wheels that measure greater than 20". Technically you're not supposed to have gears but no one cares in the local races.

Glad to Be Alive
    I knew that land was too valuable......no proposed new area???
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days