Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    34

    California State University San Bernardino

    Hi Folks, I anticipate accepting a teaching position with CSUSB and was wondering what is the riding like in the area? I've browsed the forums, and it seems Angeles National Forest, Santa Monica Mountains are the more popular riding destinations.

    Where should I buy a house?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,275
    Trails out that way include SART near Angelus Oaks, Crafton Hills in Yucaipa, Hulda Crooks near Lo a Linda and Sycamore Canyon in Riverside. Also Box Springs Mountain. Further away is Hurkey Creek and Palm Canyon in Palm Springs. As far as where to live the closer you are to the Foothills the better, Redlands is a nice college town and East Highlands has newer development.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by heleninct View Post
    Hi Folks, I anticipate accepting a teaching position with CSUSB and was wondering what is the riding like in the area? I've browsed the forums, and it seems Angeles National Forest, Santa Monica Mountains are the more popular riding destinations.

    Where should I buy a house?

    What is your budget for buying a house?

    If you don't already know, Berdoo is a &$*%hole. Closest decent communities would be East Highland, anything South of I10 in Redlands, far East portion of Redlands, South East section of Loma Linda. If you are willing to commute a little longer, you can go to newer sections of Yucaipa or Beaumont.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6
    North san bernardino where csusb is a good area, and there are newer communities around there as well. There are a few trails in the verdemont area of san bernardino, I have not hit those yet.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by JRS73 View Post
    What is your budget for buying a house?

    If you don't already know, Berdoo is a &$*%hole. Closest decent communities would be East Highland, anything South of I10 in Redlands, far East portion of Redlands, South East section of Loma Linda. If you are willing to commute a little longer, you can go to newer sections of Yucaipa or Beaumont.
    $450k is my maximum for a house and prefer newer construction. Would Big Bear city be a realistic target for a home? I would imagine the roads would be closed due to snow on roads?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by osmarandsara View Post
    Trails out that way include SART near Angelus Oaks, Crafton Hills in Yucaipa, Hulda Crooks near Lo a Linda and Sycamore Canyon in Riverside. Also Box Springs Mountain. Further away is Hurkey Creek and Palm Canyon in Palm Springs. As far as where to live the closer you are to the Foothills the better, Redlands is a nice college town and East Highlands has newer development.
    Thanks!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by heleninct View Post
    $450k is my maximum for a house and prefer newer construction. Would Big Bear city be a realistic target for a home? I would imagine the roads would be closed due to snow on roads?
    IMHO, Running Springs might make better sense or Crestline maybe??? Get yourself above 2000 feet to avoid living under/in the inversion layer. I'm just guessing on the elevation, but I have a feeling you can figure it out.

  8. #8
    Over the Hill
    Reputation: dstepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,671
    I am a big fan of Forest Falls. Close with a remote feeling.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by heleninct View Post
    $450k is my maximum for a house and prefer newer construction. Would Big Bear city be a realistic target for a home? I would imagine the roads would be closed due to snow on roads?

    With a max budget of $450K in the current horrible Inland Empire real estate market, you can be one hell of a house.

    You could look at homes in the mountain communities, however you will pay top dollar this time of the year. The commute is the other issue in the mountain communities. I know a handful of people who live in the mountains. They love it, but the gripe is always the commute.

    With your budget, I would start in Redlands. Redlands is by far the nicest community in the Inland Empire...as a whole. It is a great cycling community. The problem with Redlands is the lack of new/recent construction in the better areas. Watch out for "Snob's" as well!! Between $350K - $450K you are going to get 20 - 60 year old home in the country club area. 15 -20 minute commute.

    East Highland has a ton of new/recent homes. You could buy a HUGE house there for less than $400K. You could purchase a 3000 - 4000 square foot home between $300K - $400K. 5 - 15 year old homes. 10 - 15 minute commute.

    In South East Loma Linda your will get a 10-30 year old 2000-3000 square foot home for $350K - $425K. A quiet fitness freak community. The perk is you would only be less than 2-3 miles from the Hulda Crooks trails. 15-20 minute commute.

    Yucaipa is a nice community. You can get anything from 3000 - 4000 square feet between $300K - $350K. 7 - 10 year old homes. A hand full of misc. trails within the city. Within the next 6 months or so there will be a BMX racing, MTB skills trail, and pump track facility. 20-30 minute commute depending on traffic.

    The West side of Beaumont is kind of out of the way, but it is quiet and cheap. Between $175K - $250K you can purchase a 2500 - 4000 square foot home that has been built within the past 5 -7 years. 30 minute commute.

    I know Riverside has some amazing areas, but I don't really know much about Riverside.

    I hope this helps.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by JRS73 View Post
    With a max budget of $450K in the current horrible Inland Empire real estate market, you can be one hell of a house.

    You could look at homes in the mountain communities, however you will pay top dollar this time of the year. The commute is the other issue in the mountain communities. I know a handful of people who live in the mountains. They love it, but the gripe is always the commute.

    With your budget, I would start in Redlands. Redlands is by far the nicest community in the Inland Empire...as a whole. It is a great cycling community. The problem with Redlands is the lack of new/recent construction in the better areas. Watch out for "Snob's" as well!! Between $350K - $450K you are going to get 20 - 60 year old home in the country club area. 15 -20 minute commute.

    East Highland has a ton of new/recent homes. You could buy a HUGE house there for less than $400K. You could purchase a 3000 - 4000 square foot home between $300K - $400K. 5 - 15 year old homes. 10 - 15 minute commute.

    In South East Loma Linda your will get a 10-30 year old 2000-3000 square foot home for $350K - $425K. A quiet fitness freak community. The perk is you would only be less than 2-3 miles from the Hulda Crooks trails. 15-20 minute commute.

    Yucaipa is a nice community. You can get anything from 3000 - 4000 square feet between $300K - $350K. 7 - 10 year old homes. A hand full of misc. trails within the city. Within the next 6 months or so there will be a BMX racing, MTB skills trail, and pump track facility. 20-30 minute commute depending on traffic.

    The West side of Beaumont is kind of out of the way, but it is quiet and cheap. Between $175K - $250K you can purchase a 2500 - 4000 square foot home that has been built within the past 5 -7 years. 30 minute commute.

    I know Riverside has some amazing areas, but I don't really know much about Riverside.

    I hope this helps.
    Good info right there

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    44
    Where you moving from?

    +1 on Yucaipa.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,234
    Big Bear is probably the best riding within an hour especially in the summer months when all the areas mentioned are blazing hot..
    Google Big Bear cycling for more info

  13. #13
    No known cure
    Reputation: Vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,674
    Crestline is 15 minutes from CSUSB; Lake Arrowhead another five minutes. There is riding up here, it's just not talked about. There's about five days a year that you have to deal with snow, but with the right car you're fine. I've been up here for over ten years and have never chained up my car or truck.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by geek81 View Post
    Where you moving from?

    +1 on Yucaipa.
    CT-east coast

  15. #15
    Old School Legs
    Reputation: JokerW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    134
    I'm with Vader.
    I've been commuting to work from Lake Arrowhead to San Bernardino for over 28 years.
    Just like Vader mentioned, we ride more, and talk about it on the web less.
    I'm eating Lean Cuisine for lunch, so I can have beer for dinner

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dirthugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    303
    I agree with the last 2 posters... And what snow??? Rarely get a good season, anyway if let's say you choose Lake Arrowhead. During snow season if it does snow you just need to drive 2000ft down and off with the chains. If you choose Running Springs or Big same scenario. Plus it's quiet living!! And you don't get the full effect of summer!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    46
    I grew up down there and would vote for East Highland or the very North End of San Bernardino. Also a quick tip from someone who grew up there....just down University Parkway, across the train tracks and the other side of Cajon Blvd. is a place called Muscoy. Never go there.

  18. #18
    Old School Legs
    Reputation: JokerW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    134
    across the train tracks and the other side of cajon blvd. Is a place called muscoy. Never go there.
    lmao!
    I'm eating Lean Cuisine for lunch, so I can have beer for dinner

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2xPneu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    911
    I was born and raised in SB but live in San Diego now. Graduated from CSUSB and Cajon HS. A great cardio training ride right behind CSUSB is the Cloudland Truck Trail which is a dirt doubletrack that starts near the end of Devil's Canyon road...it's about a 4+ mile steep ass climb that ends up on Hwy 18. Turn around and ride back down to CSUSB and teach your afternoon classes.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by JRS73 View Post
    With a max budget of $450K in the current horrible Inland Empire real estate market, you can be one hell of a house.

    You could look at homes in the mountain communities, however you will pay top dollar this time of the year. The commute is the other issue in the mountain communities. I know a handful of people who live in the mountains. They love it, but the gripe is always the commute.

    With your budget, I would start in Redlands. Redlands is by far the nicest community in the Inland Empire...as a whole. It is a great cycling community. The problem with Redlands is the lack of new/recent construction in the better areas. Watch out for "Snob's" as well!! Between $350K - $450K you are going to get 20 - 60 year old home in the country club area. 15 -20 minute commute.

    East Highland has a ton of new/recent homes. You could buy a HUGE house there for less than $400K. You could purchase a 3000 - 4000 square foot home between $300K - $400K. 5 - 15 year old homes. 10 - 15 minute commute.

    In South East Loma Linda your will get a 10-30 year old 2000-3000 square foot home for $350K - $425K. A quiet fitness freak community. The perk is you would only be less than 2-3 miles from the Hulda Crooks trails. 15-20 minute commute.

    Yucaipa is a nice community. You can get anything from 3000 - 4000 square feet between $300K - $350K. 7 - 10 year old homes. A hand full of misc. trails within the city. Within the next 6 months or so there will be a BMX racing, MTB skills trail, and pump track facility. 20-30 minute commute depending on traffic.

    The West side of Beaumont is kind of out of the way, but it is quiet and cheap. Between $175K - $250K you can purchase a 2500 - 4000 square foot home that has been built within the past 5 -7 years. 30 minute commute.

    I know Riverside has some amazing areas, but I don't really know much about Riverside.

    I hope this helps.
    Thanks for a comprehensive overview, great info!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamwarthog View Post
    I grew up down there and would vote for East Highland or the very North End of San Bernardino. Also a quick tip from someone who grew up there....just down University Parkway, across the train tracks and the other side of Cajon Blvd. is a place called Muscoy. Never go there.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    34
    Thank you everyone for your helpful suggestions. And the housing search continues so far, and I'm a leery with the very hot temperatures in the San Benardino area. So far, the safest city in America has caught my attention and my real estate agent has definitely ruled out Santa Monica as a viable option. Hello commuting by train perhaps.

  23. #23
    Old School Legs
    Reputation: JokerW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    134
    Hello commuting by train perhaps.
    The train still dumps you in the downtown area, on the wrong side of the tracks, so to speak. Riding your bike from the station to CSUSB is possible, but it would go thourgh some of the less desirable areas of San Bernardino. I'm sure there are buses that run (straight?) to the campus, but on what schedule, and especially if you need to be flexible with your hours.
    Sure it's hot in summer, but if you're not at the beach, it's like that all over inland So CA.
    The mountains can get hot, but they cool down at night nicely.
    You really should check out areas like Crestline/Lake Arrowhead (mountains) , or Yucaipa/Cherry Valley (valley), unless you really prefer a more urban experience. Then I'd go with Redlands.
    I'm eating Lean Cuisine for lunch, so I can have beer for dinner

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    16
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned, Upland, Claremont, La Verne or San Dimas. All good communities, good local riding and easy drive across the 210 Fwy to CSSB in the opposite direction of traffic. Due to the depressed nature of the So Cal real estate market, good deals are out there. Santa Monica though...waay too far away.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mjh365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by pikeman View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned, Upland, Claremont, La Verne or San Dimas. All good communities, good local riding and easy drive across the 210 Fwy to CSSB in the opposite direction of traffic. Due to the depressed nature of the So Cal real estate market, good deals are out there. Santa Monica though...waay too far away.
    Yes I have to 2nd looking into Upland and Claremont areas. Both have great trails nearby, and both are bike friendly communities.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •