Drunk Poster

Cal-IMBA report: legislative bill imperils prime Calif. mtb'ing (NorCal copy post)

There is a bill AB 2923 that is going through the assembly right now that threatens several areas with great trails for MTB'n in Norcal. I figure I would copy and repost in your guys forum because once they succeed in closing trails up here they will start closing them down south too! So please read the quoted message and maybe even check out the thread in norcal Cal-IMBA report: legislative bill imperils prime Calif. mtb'ing.

IMBA-California director Tom Ward sent this e-mail to the IMBA-California Leadership Conference a couple of hours ago. Please read the attached letter and send a rewritten version of it to the people he suggests.

Here's Tom's message to the IMBA-California brass:

Urgent Call To Action NOW:

Hi to All,

We need letters written now and they need to be faxed! I don't usually ask a lot from all of you, but I need your help now! Get all the people in your various networks to write.

To make a long story short, here is what is needed.

Ken Wells and I have been in meetings and discussions with the chief staffer for the Bill Sponsor, Assemblywoman Noreen Evans, as well as the representative from the CA Wilderness Coalition. We attempted to make changes in the Bill (AB 2923; see forwarded message for details) but have not been successful. Our position therefore is to oppose the legislation. I have sent an opposed letter (faxed) to the members of the Senate Natural Resources and Water Committee and to the Bill sponsors (see attached). I am testifying before the Committee Wednesday, June 25.

This State Wilderness Bill (not federal) will potentially have a huge negative impact for mountain bike opportunity. The top priorities for Wilderness study are Henry Coe State Park, Robert Louis Stevenson State Park and Austin Creek State Recreation Area. We currently ride in the first two parks, and we have a long standing proposal for bike trails in Austin Creek. Although the Bill calls for "study for potential Wilderness" it makes no sense to us to even go down that road when these are prime biking areas.

The strategy now is to . . . fax . . . hundreds of letters so the Bill sponsor and co-sponsor will take notice. This is when numbers count. Look at my letter for wording ideas for yours. Don't make yours exactly the same. In fact, letters can be quite short, but it is crucial to fax them. Legislators take much more notice of fax than email, however if you can't get through on fax, then email or mail a letter.

Everybody send to:

Assemblywoman Noreen Evans
    Assembly District 7
    Room 315, State Capitol
    Sacramento, CA 94249-0007
    916-319-2007
    Fax 916-319-2107

Also to the bill's co-sponsor:

Senator Pat Wiggins
    Second Senate District
    Room 4081, State Capitol
    Sacramento, CA 94249-0007
    916-651-4002
    Fax 916-323-6958

Also send the same letter to your State Assembly Rep. and State Senator.

Please let me know you received this communication and how you plan to get others to write.

I will keep you updated as this moves along.

Thanks so much for your help.

Tom
    Attached Files Attached Files
    =)