Life Is Short

Building a bike & building a computer=similarities?

Do you build your bike up from a frame as I do and also build up your desk top computer as well? Its a similarity I believe, because you may be the do-it-yourselfer type...to a certain extent, maybe...

I don't do much home improvements like tear down kitchens and bathrooms, but small things like some landscaping, electrical & plumbing... However when I was in high school I rebuilt my Camaro's 327 engine, a Datsun Z motor and a Chevy Luv truck motor by myself...I guess I like to tinker around. Oh yeah and with the exception of the truck they were both stocked with hi-performance parts

Here is my latest project--- a AMD Phenom II x6 core , a dvd, blue ray, 750w power supply, etc. It has a fresh copy of Windows 7 professional 64 bit. Its not a screamer but better than most. I plan to put 2 video cards on the mobo and crossfire it..

Do you build your bikes from frames and computers from an empty case? Show me the case!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Building a bike & building a computer=similarities?-dscf7765.jpg  

Building a bike & building a computer=similarities?-dscf7772.jpg  

U $ 4 O?
    Maybe similar in the fact that bike and comp will be outdated in 6 months.. you have SSD's for that?

Life Is Short
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJDOG View Post
    Maybe similar in the fact that bike and comp will be outdated in 6 months.. you have SSD's for that?
    LOL yep you gotta point. Remember how people used to drool over the Santa Cruz VPP Free? now--meh......I may opt for the OCZ Vertex 120G SSD, but I don't know how much faster this
    computer can get because it already takes only 30 seconds to boot up and I have loaded it
    up with a editing program, MS Office, Photoshop and a bunch of audio programs. However I like the idea of solid state's reliability.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    LOL yep you gotta point. Remember how people used to drool over the Santa Cruz VPP Free? now--meh......I may opt for the OCZ Vertex 120G SSD, but I don't know how much faster this
    computer can get because it already takes only 30 seconds to boot up and I have loaded it
    up with a editing program, MS Office, Photoshop and a bunch of audio programs. However I like the idea of solid state's reliability.
    My friends computer with a solid state drive boots in 5 seconds, I kid you not.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    this brings back memories the good old days when i used to build up a pc to play the latest and greatest games before dumbed down console ports took over.

btw i love people that buy tiny ass ssd then brag about how fast ther pc boots makes me smile every time.

Gotta pay to play
    I've been building computers for my friends and family for the past 6 years or so (probably done little over a dozen). When I first learned I hung out with a buddy and asked him if I could observe him build a few of his client's machines. When I felt experienced enough I finally did my own. I made so many assembly mistakes on my first one yet still ended up with an awesome machine. Now they are all easy and my last 8 or so builds have had zero issues.

I have a few thousand ready for my next build but I'm waiting for Guild Wars 2 to come out. My personal machine is about 2 years old and the games I enjoy playing haven't given me much need to upgrade.

When I build my first bike I'm going to sweet talk my LBS into letting me intern with their techs for a week or so and watch them build.

mtbr member
    SSDs being flash based do have a limit on lifetime number of write cycles per block, if used with write intensive software they may exhibit no greater reliability than an HDD. Fortunately lifespan enhancing algorithms used in the SSD drives keep track of all that and attempt to balance block usage but they are not a panacea for reliability.

Life Is Short
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    SSDs being flash based do have a limit on lifetime number of write cycles per block, if used with write intensive software they may exhibit no greater reliability than an HDD. Fortunately lifespan enhancing algorithms used in the SSD drives keep track of all that and attempt to balance block usage but they are not a panacea for reliability.
    So if I get a SSD 120G and just use it for photoshop, web browsing, etc and use an external raid or 2TB hdd for editing video, I would be OK as far as longevity for the SSD?
    I love how fast the start up is with Win 7 Prof, its 6x as faster than my Mac Pro tower at work with final cut.

Dishwasher Safe
    Ya, I tend to do everything myself too. I'm a Mac guy so I don't build my computers. Although, my next computer might be a Hackintosh using a PC motherboard...

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    However when I was in high school I rebuilt my Camaro's 327 engine, a Datsun Z motor...:
    This was mine. Yeah, my daily driver. Ahhhh the good old days…

Pretty much GT-2 specs, around 300HP. I did all my own cylinder head porting as well:

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Niiiiice, after the wedding and other things getting paid off project cars are in order. I'll have to pick your brain when it comes time to build up a Z. But first is a karman ghia for the mrs.

Built many a computer over the years, and oddly like mentioned above things have slowed down due to console speed bumps. At least computer upkeep has become much cheaper as a result.

Cheers!

Dishwasher Safe
    Quote Originally Posted by iamkaioken View Post
    iI'll have to pick your brain when it comes time to build up a Z.
    Anytime! Would love to talk shop…

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    build my first comp last year from scratch. I wish i could build a bike too.. building from scratch makes you feel more proud of whatever it is

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    your cats are all like "what is dis?!?"

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    You put the OS on the SSD, everything else on the standard HD.I am one that runs a 128 SSD and 2 3GB harddrives and yes I boot in less than 5 seconds

Quiet Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchD View Post
    You put the OS on the SSD, everything else on the standard HD.I am one that runs a 128 SSD and 2 3GB harddrives and yes I boot in less than 5 seconds
    I am sure you are meaning tb not gb for the other hard drives.
    I have been building my own computers since the pentium 1 days and amd k6. I grew up with computers from the comodore 64 and up as well as the apples, 386,486 up to my current i7.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBWV96 View Post
    your cats are all like "what is dis?!?"
    How did you find this old thread?

Anyway, I just realised, building a bike is just like building a computer. You can mix and match parts from different companies because nearly everything fits a standard. You can add parts or takeaway parts and it still works. You can get great deals on older parts online and you can upgrade bits without upgrading everything.

For a performance machine, you can save a lot of money by building it yourself but for a cheap and nasty workhorse, nothing beats a closeout deal at a local shop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    haha i found it in the recomended post section so i checked it out.
    by the way nice post!