mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Brown Mountain/El Prieto Trail

Rookie to Mountain Biking. I have been on Two Foxs Trail/Sycamore Canyon Pt Mugo. But I was willing to take on Brown Mountain/El Prieto Trail but I here the single track is not for beginners. What do you guys think?

mtbr member

Not for beginners...

I think it isn't for beginners. Having said that...I've seen kids coming down El Prieto, and they just have to get off the bike a lot. I think, if you only have a couple of rides under, it is going to be pretty scary...if you've been riding more than that, you just need to take it slow...this is coming from a Little-over beginner rider...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Cool-blue Rhythm Don't know where to go

Does anyone have an Idea where I can go to get some single track expirence for a rookie and or ideas of where I can start?

mtbr member
    I started mountain biking last year, or a year and a half ago. I started on Chantry Flats, upper-lower winter creek trail. It is not super easy, but it is pretty doable. The bad thing about that trail, is that there is a lot of exposure at the begining, but then it isn't much. Another thing, a few of the creek crossings, you pretty much have to get off the bike and carry it over...It is a cool trail though, I do it almost every weekend...
    http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=1910

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Thanks

I'll give that a try this weekend.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Since you rode Sycamore I assume that you live in Ventura County or at least nearby, Los Robles in Thousand Oaks has some single/double track and some climbing another single track is Backbone from T-1 on Kanan , fun ride just don't be discouraged by the climb out of the parking lot , you'll probably walk most of that but you should be able to ride a good portion of the rest.The problem is that most singletracks are not on level ground so you'll have to do some climbing, how much is up to you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Agreed, Los Robles in Thousand Oaks is a great singletrack. So is the backbone at Kanan, but it is more technical, longer, and more strenuous. El prieto is more technical than either, but when you get to a challenging section, you can always walk it down. Out of the 3, my favorite is the Backbone... You should also try Guadalasco in Sycamore. It makes a great loop from Sin Nombre, Two foxes, Guadalasco....And Chesebro, once you cross sulphur springs and get to the singletrack from the main trail.
    Tons of fun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by borre13
    I started mountain biking last year, or a year and a half ago. I started on Chantry Flats, upper-lower winter creek trail. It is not super easy, but it is pretty doable. The bad thing about that trail, is that there is a lot of exposure at the begining, but then it isn't much. Another thing, a few of the creek crossings, you pretty much have to get off the bike and carry it over...It is a cool trail though, I do it almost every weekend...
    http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=1910
    Winter Creek?! I definitely would not recommend that to someone that's only done Two Foxes and those types of trails. It's true that last 2 miles are doable in that it doesn't have much exposure, but the first 3 miles has a ton of exposure, including 2 miles of technical uphill exposure.

I recommend trying the Gabrieleno trail from Red Box to Switzers if you want to do something in the San Gabriels. This trail is still significantly more difficult than Two Foxes but is doable and hella fun.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuban Racer
    Rookie to Mountain Biking. I have been on Two Foxs Trail/Sycamore Canyon Pt Mugo. But I was willing to take on Brown Mountain/El Prieto Trail but I here the single track is not for beginners. What do you guys think?
    There's also the Arroyo Seco trail, which starts at the same trailhead. It's an easy fireroad with lots of creek crossings that goes out and back.

Parts of Cheeseboro and Malibu Canyon are also good too.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Backbone trail is great for beginners that want singletrack. No exposure and not very technical or steep.

mtbr member
    Another option if you are near the T.O/Simi area you could give Long Cyn a try. Either climb the single track for a quick workout and see what is terrain looks like, then turn around and head down it or climb the fireroad, fairly easy climb with one steep section and then descend the st.

Total round trip is something like 2.5mi or so, maybe 3mi. so it is a short loop but the st has some technical spots you could session and work on your skills. If you do give it a try go mid day/mid week because there can be a lot of hikers on it on the weekends and before/after work hours.

Also, head over to Sullivan and/or Westridge and ride the singletrack, not to difficult and if you do get to a section ya do not feel comfortable on you can always head down to the fireroad.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Thnaks Great Options

I live in San Gabriel but love to travel all over So going out to Malibu Creek State park and PT. Mugu isnt a problem. What does Bonneli Park in San Dimas Have to offer does anyone know?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuban Racer
    I live in San Gabriel but love to travel all over So going out to Malibu Creek State park and PT. Mugu isnt a problem. What does Bonneli Park in San Dimas Have to offer does anyone know?
    A local mtb group is riding there this weekend. You should ride with them and see. http://www.pmbc.org/