Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Brick and mortar BeyondBikes gone?

Got the change of ownership sale email from them. Does anyone know if the store is still there or did it vanish into cyberspace?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yes, they sold their entire business to Cambria Bicycle Outfitters. (online too)

Bikebling or North of the Border will be a good option.

mtbr member
    Is anyone actually going to miss these guys?
    "A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Well ya, up until last year they were one of the best stocked bike shops in San Diego (I think BikeBling took that title away). Most people here have spent money there.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Yeah they were taking online orders right till the end with no intention of fullfilling the order. Alot of folks are S.O.L. They are being investigated for wire fraud.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts
    Yeah they were taking online orders right till the end with no intention of fullfilling the order. Alot of folks are S.O.L. They are being investigated for wire fraud.
    if it was on
    credit card they can get their money back..............that place really had issues
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    What No More Bike Raffels?????????
    I don't care if I fall as long as someone else picks up my bike and keeps on riding.

mtbr member
    I went in there about a month or so ago and I knew they were near the end. I went in there looking for some platform pedals and they only had one set of sunlines, nothing else. Pretty shady if they were still taking orders.

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009
    Good riddance!

Geritol Power
    email said orders placed for customer will-call will be shipped direct. So it sounds to me like they intend to fill all orders.

Just call Doug and Michael at North of the Border and order stuff from them. I was there today. Michael had exactly what I needed. Same great personal service as always.

Chris

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall
    email said orders placed for customer will-call will be shipped direct. So it sounds to me like they intend to fill all orders.

Just call Doug and Michael at North of the Border and order stuff from them. I was there today. Michael had exactly what I needed. Same great personal service as always.

Chris
    That is the only I use in SD. They can get you anything you need.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall

Chris
    Wish I had bought my Epiphany from North of the Border three years ago, but I didn't know about them and bought at BeyondBikes. Never had an problems with BB, but NOB has much better service. Reminds me of Cantina from back in the day.
    Mountain bikers, hikers and horseback riders are not the enemy. Bulldozers are the enemy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    well...i sure wont miss beyond bikes. yes they had great inventory, but customer service was horrible. Every time i went in there looking for something, a salesperson would approach me, and about 30 seconds into it, his wireless headset would go off, and he would disappear into the back never to be seen again. Id have to say that Beyond Bikes and Black Mountain Bikes had the absolute worst customer service imaginable.

Id rather give my money to a shop that actually greets and assists their customers in a timely manner, even if it means i have to wait a few days for them to order what i need.

It ain't easy being Green

They're Baaack!

Had an Email from BB saying "under new management"...
    I could give a $h1t about customer service, I just want a good price, and BB always gives a good price. I also could care less about their 'tude, for the same reason.
    Bike Bling in Esco also gives good deals if you simple can't bear BB.

As for your comments about Black Mountain Bikes, well, I find them helpful, responsive and reliable, particularly the service department; if you take the trouble to actually _talk_ to the staff, explain your problems and don't ***** about their recommendations then your bike will be well looked after and you will be a happy rider.

I don't work at BMB, I'm just a (happy) customer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcadbiker
    Had an Email from BB saying "under new management"...
    I could give a $h1t about customer service, I just want a good price, and BB always gives a good price. I also could care less about their 'tude, for the same reason.
    Bike Bling in Esco also gives good deals if you simple can't bear BB.

As for your comments about Black Mountain Bikes, well, I find them helpful, responsive and reliable, particularly the service department; if you take the trouble to actually _talk_ to the staff, explain your problems and don't ***** about their recommendations then your bike will be well looked after and you will be a happy rider.

I don't work at BMB, I'm just a (happy) customer.

If you dont care about customer service then why dont you just buy all your gear/parts online? Me personally...would rather help out the local small business during these tough economic times.

But my only problem with black mountain bike is how they could care less about actually selling bikes. Its a shame because they are the closest shop to me that carries specialized bikes, i actually went in there when i was in the market for my mountain and road bike, and also my dads road bike. All of these times I had cash in hand ready to purchase but since im "only 25 years old" and dont fit the description of someone with "money" they pretty much gave me no respect and focused all of there attention towards the 40-50 year old customers who were walking in the door. No offense to anyone, but im simply just explaining several different experiences ive had with the shop.

And also, none of the times ive been in there have been while the shop is busy. Its always during the week during nonpeak hours.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The people at Black Mountain Bikes have alway treated
    me good. I've never had a problem with them.

Best, John

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl
    The people at Black Mountain Bikes have alway treated
    me good. I've never had a problem with them.

Best, John
    They too far away from me but for Yeti parts they are the only game in town. The few times i've been in there, BMB was very professional and helpful.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I can't imagine Black Mountain not being ready to sell a bike to anyone. At least the owner there is a focused sales oriented guy, as well as a rider. If Black Mountain is closest to you, then give them another shop but ask for the owner.

It ain't easy being Green
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm
    If you dont care about customer service then why dont you just buy all your gear/parts online? Me personally...would rather help out the local small business during these tough economic times.
    Let me qualify my statement: I don't care about _sales_ customer service; if the price is right the sales guy can call me an a**hole if he wants. Do you expect high quality customer service at, say, Frys? No... you expect a great price.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It is my understanding that Bike Bling is now
    selling Yeti, but you have to go to the store. No
    internet sales.

Best, John

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    They too far away from me but for Yeti parts they are the only game in town. The few times i've been in there, BMB was very professional and helpful.

Zumwalt's down by SDSU is also a Yeti dealer. Just FYI if Mira Mesa is too far away.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl
    It is my understanding that Bike Bling is now
    selling Yeti, but you have to go to the store. No
    internet sales.

Best, John

Yep, just looked them up on the Yeti Dealer page and they're listed.

I believe that to some degree yeti limits who can sell via mail order because they really want to support the local dealership network across the country.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    Zumwalts by SDSU carries Yeti. As a plus their service is way above Black Mountain Bikes.

I have not had any major issues with BMB.... They almost even got a few sales from me and friends. But when the time came for them to close the deal they seem to drop the ball. I am talking about things like calling me back with a delivery date on a bike, or not honoring manufacture incentives (specialized was offering a deal when you buy a bike you get 300 dollars in specialized accessories and they didn't seem to know WTF I was talking about).

Ride lots...
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcadbiker
    Let me qualify my statement: I don't care about _sales_ customer service; if the price is right the sales guy can call me an a**hole if he wants. Do you expect high quality customer service at, say, Frys? No... you expect a great price.

THANK YOU!!!! I have never seen so many people whine about customer service before. And all these stories about a salesman just walking away from you in the middle of a conversation are likely complete BS. I never had trouble getting help there at all.

I'll miss BB. The prices there were unreal, the Biktoberfest was awesome (free food and free beer) and they had everything!!

And as far as supporting your local LBS--well I'm sorry but paying $47.99 for a Kenda Nevegal is ridiculous when you can go other places like BB and get one for $25. And that's just one example. I'm very loyal to my LBS's mechanic, but I'm not about to pay their ridiculous prices for other stuff.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DSDuke
    THANK YOU!!!! I have never seen so many people whine about customer service before. And all these stories about a salesman just walking away from you in the middle of a conversation are likely complete BS. I never had trouble getting help there at all.

I'll miss BB. The prices there were unreal, the Biktoberfest was awesome (free food and free beer) and they had everything!!

And as far as supporting your local LBS--well I'm sorry but paying $47.99 for a Kenda Nevegal is ridiculous when you can go other places like BB and get one for $25. And that's just one example. I'm very loyal to my LBS's mechanic, but I'm not about to pay their ridiculous prices for other stuff.
    Ok how about this:
    I had a group ride and needed a part for my bike which was un-ridable without it. Called to see if it was in stock and they said yes. I drove 13 miles one way to get it. Grabbed the last chainring they had off the shelf only to be told it was not available for sale. They had sold it on line and not pulled it off the shelf. They refused to sell it to me or offer any compensation for my troubles. On two occasions my credit card was charged twice for the same item. Are you guys telling me I should put up with that just because the price is right? Fvck that. If McDonalds coffee was 5 cents but they kicked me in the balls everytime I walked in the door I would rather spend 2 dollars at Starbucks. My LBS is small but they will price match anything on those websites.

Again Beyond Bikes was a mixed bag. Sometimes I got good help there and I did enjoy the biketoberfest and demos but you have to be consistent. Obviously they had major problems with shipping, inventory control and customer service and they knew it. Somebody had to be reading this website and see all the complaints but they never did anything to fix it. Kerry got smart, he took their business model and started bike bling and addressed all the shortcomings of Beyond and he is doing very well.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast