mtbr member

Brand Library/Motorway fireroad in Verdugos

Anyone know the elevation gain on that ?...from the gate/asphalt up to the bench. I don't have a Garmin.

Rode up that for the first time tonight. Whew ! Went from my house in the Verdugo Woodlands via Mountain/Cumberland on over to Brand Park. It's 4.8 miles from my house to the gate. I usually just go up Beaudry North or Sunshine/Los Flores. Those are 1.7 & 1 mile respectively from my house.

The climb was hard. Probably didn't help I was in full sun exposure at 5 PM. Plus I ran 12 miles yesterday morning out in the Santa Monicas so wasn't exactly fresh.

I had 48:34 on the climb for the 3.7 miles from the gate to the bench. I went back in my training log to a few training runs I did with friends that were preparing for that Brand 10K. My time up on the 3 different runs were from 47 minutes to 52 minutes. So I think I'm getting a little stronger on the bike fwiw.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Bench is at about 2700ft. Gate is about 850ft. It's a tough climb, especially in the heat since you're fully exposed.

mtbr member
    Hi and thanks. I found this shortly after starting the thread, probably should have posted it. His numbers correspond with what you have.
    Timelapse: Brand Motorway Mountainbike Ride - YouTube

And yes, best to start that ride early in the morning or after the sun goes down a bit on the Western slope.