Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wmalan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    225

    A bounty of poison oak this year!

    If it hasn't found you yet (perhaps immune to the stuff) it will. The poison oak is in full bloom in Socal. It's everywhere with all the good rain. Especially abundant at Pt. Mugu St. Park. Guadalasco, and Sin Nombre have a few spots that if happen to be passing a rider, it will nip you in the arms or legs. I waited a couple hours to use the Technu so it got me. Next time I'm leaving some in the car. Sully Canyon is full of it but with the wide trail (road) not to really be a concern unless your in the bushes.

    Btw, just tried Zanfel for the first time after years of dealing with breakouts. Stuff works well. A good scrub then a coating of Calagel and I'm happy for the day. I think if I got to it a day sooner when I first saw it, it would have really worked better.

    --
    Bill

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KrisRayner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    431
    It's plentiful around here in San Luis Obispo.

    FWIW, CVS pharmacies have a generic version of Zanfel that's $20 cheaper! Works great. I wash with Zanfel and then use a topical anti-itch spray called Derma-Pax. Keeps me from itching most all the day and dries it out much faster than a lot of other "cures" out there.

  3. #3
    I <3 Dirt
    Reputation: mealsonwheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisRayner
    It's plentiful around here in San Luis Obispo.

    FWIW, CVS pharmacies have a generic version of Zanfel that's $20 cheaper! Works great. I wash with Zanfel and then use a topical anti-itch spray called Derma-Pax. Keeps me from itching most all the day and dries it out much faster than a lot of other "cures" out there.
    Generic Zanfel that's $20 cheaper? You just legitimized the countless hours I've wasted on this site. Thanks for the great tip.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wmalan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    225

    Next time I'll try the generic.

    Quote Originally Posted by KrisRayner
    It's plentiful around here in San Luis Obispo.

    FWIW, CVS pharmacies have a generic version of Zanfel that's $20 cheaper! Works great. I wash with Zanfel and then use a topical anti-itch spray called Derma-Pax. Keeps me from itching most all the day and dries it out much faster than a lot of other "cures" out there.
    I picked up the Zanfel at CVS and I had the generic in my hand and thought... better try of OG first. Now I found this little ditty whilst researching the ingredients:

    "The customer buying the popular poison ivy remedy Zanfel likely has no idea that the product has financed far-right religious organizations, Republican politicians and lawsuits, including one that could destroy the product's patent."

    "A decade ago, Zanfel's developer, Peoria resident William Yarbrough, was hustling his poison ivy remedy Zanfel at local county fairs."

    "Today he's a secretive multi-millionaire, spending his money on charities, religious proselytizing, Republicans and lawsuits against rivals and his own neighbors."

    Might try the generic next time. Your choice may vary.

    --
    Bill

  5. #5
    Geritol Power
    Reputation: Duzitall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,457
    I suppose you could believe everything you read or hear. As for poison oak/ivy... if you suspect you touched it shower ASAP with hot water and lots of soap. If you get to it soon enough that might be enough to keep from breaking out. I know this because I'm really allergic to PO.

    PS. thanks for the quote of the day Ryan

  6. #6
    I <3 Dirt
    Reputation: mealsonwheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall
    I suppose you could believe everything you read or hear. As for poison oak/ivy... if you suspect you touched it shower ASAP with hot water and lots of soap. If you get to it soon enough that might be enough to keep from breaking out. I know this because I'm really allergic to PO.

    PS. thanks for the quote of the day Ryan
    I think this is the second time I've made your signature! I'm honored!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EBasil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,062
    I had no idea about the medicinal qualities of Zamfir!



    Oh. Wait. Is this the generic?

  8. #8
    2006 Yeti AS-X
    Reputation: Lawson Raider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,693
    Quote Originally Posted by wmalan
    I picked up the Zanfel at CVS and I had the generic in my hand and thought... better try of OG first. Now I found this little ditty whilst researching the ingredients:

    "The customer buying the popular poison ivy remedy Zanfel likely has no idea that the product has financed far-right religious organizations, Republican politicians and lawsuits, including one that could destroy the product's patent."

    "A decade ago, Zanfel's developer, Peoria resident William Yarbrough, was hustling his poison ivy remedy Zanfel at local county fairs."

    "Today he's a secretive multi-millionaire, spending his money on charities, religious proselytizing, Republicans and lawsuits against rivals and his own neighbors."

    Might try the generic next time. Your choice may vary.

    --
    Bill
    If you made your decision to buy or not buy products because the money the company gets goes to organizations you don't politically agree with, you'd probably be stuck in a cave somewhere.

    I buy products based on 1) Do they work as advertised and 2) the cheapest I can get them for.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wmalan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    225

    Right on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider
    If you made your decision to buy or not buy products because the money the company gets goes to organizations you don't politically agree with, you'd probably be stuck in a cave somewhere.

    I buy products based on 1) Do they work as advertised and 2) the cheapest I can get them for.
    That's the beauty of this country... choices. That's why Walmart is doing a superb job. Nothing wrong with that. I just tend to question things. If I can get the job done and satisfy my slightly liberal views, it's a win win for me.

    --
    Bill

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by wmalan
    If it hasn't found you yet (perhaps immune to the stuff) it will. The poison oak is in full bloom in Socal. It's everywhere with all the good rain. Especially abundant at Pt. Mugu St. Park. Guadalasco, and Sin Nombre have a few spots that if happen to be passing a rider, it will nip you in the arms or legs. I waited a couple hours to use the Technu so it got me. Next time I'm leaving some in the car. Sully Canyon is full of it but with the wide trail (road) not to really be a concern unless your in the bushes.

    Btw, just tried Zanfel for the first time after years of dealing with breakouts. Stuff works well. A good scrub then a coating of Calagel and I'm happy for the day. I think if I got to it a day sooner when I first saw it, it would have really worked better.

    --
    Bill
    You may also want to consider something like Ivy Block on exposed limbs as a precautionary measure. You will need to reapply is sweating a lot but it can help prevent the need for days of itching...

  11. #11
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,294
    I have found if you hit a leaf or so. and rub dirt on it to absorb the oil then I don't catch it
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  12. #12
    Lord of the Chainrings
    Reputation: Mudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    2,926
    Ya, with the recent abundance of rains here in SoCal, it's all over the place!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

    ~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall
    I suppose you could believe everything you read or hear. As for poison oak/ivy... if you suspect you touched it shower ASAP with hot water and lots of soap. If you get to it soon enough that might be enough to keep from breaking out. I know this because I'm really allergic to PO.:
    The reaction is caused by an oil fro the poison oak/ivy/sumac. You want to use COLD water and dish soap (Dawn works best), before a normal shower. Cold water keeps the pores from openening up and absorbing the oil.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by wmalan
    That's the beauty of this country... choices. That's why Walmart is doing a superb job. Nothing wrong with that. I just tend to question things. If I can get the job done and satisfy my slightly liberal views, it's a win win for me.

    --
    Bill
    Choices indeed. Zanfel's owner apparently borrowed the formula from his former employer, repackaging a cheap hand cleaner as an expensive poison oak/ivy scrub, so here's a much cheaper alternative to Zanfel: http://www.meangreen.com/

    The 64 oz. tub is $25, compared to $35 per 1.5 oz. tube for Zanfel.

  15. #15
    Geritol Power
    Reputation: Duzitall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,457
    Quote Originally Posted by outside!
    The reaction is caused by an oil fro the poison oak/ivy/sumac. You want to use COLD water and dish soap (Dawn works best), before a normal shower. Cold water keeps the pores from openening up and absorbing the oil.
    OK, agreed that it certainly can't hurt to wash with detergent and cold water before a hot shower. But if I get PO on me while I'm riding my pores are most likely fully open anyway. Plus it's going to be a while before I get to a shower. The hot water re-opens the pores that already absorbed the oils and the detergent breaks down the oils better with hot water thus helping to remove it from my skin. Ask your MD or OD. They will tell you, once you have it in your skin hot water pulls the oil out of the skin.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wmalan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    225

    Interesting ingredients in Zanfel...

    Quote Originally Posted by albeant
    Choices indeed. Zanfel's owner apparently borrowed the formula from his former employer, repackaging a cheap hand cleaner as an expensive poison oak/ivy scrub, so here's a much cheaper alternative to Zanfel: http://www.meangreen.com/

    The 64 oz. tub is $25, compared to $35 per 1.5 oz. tube for Zanfel.
    This is very interesting. perhaps it really comes down to a scrubbing medium that has an emulsifier to break up the oil. Seems to me then that any of the scrubbing hand cleaners stand a chance at working on poison oak.

    Zanfel Ingredients:
    Polyethylene granules, (scrubber)
    sodium lauroyl sarcosinate, (foaming and cleansing agent - soap)
    nonoxynol-9, (used as a spermicide in contraceptives ???)
    c12-15 pareth-9, (Emulsifier - I think what really breaks up the oil...)
    disodium EDTA, (crap)
    quatemium-15, (crap)
    carbomer 2%, (crap)
    triethanolamine, (crap)
    water

    Mean Green:
    CAS: None Inert Polyethylene Granules (scrubber...)
    CAS: None Water
    CAS: 26027-38-3 Nonyl phenol ethoxylate ( Mol"y" ) (Emulsifier)
    CAS: 26027-38-3 Nonyl phenol ethoxylate ( Mol"y" )
    CAS: 61788-48-5 Acetylated Lanolin alcohol ( emollient to soften skin)
    CAS: 137-16-6 Maprosyl L30 (?)
    CAS: 139-33-3 Versene ( ?)
    CAS: 61789-40-0 Witcamide DG (skin conditioner)
    CAS: None Food coloring (crap)
    CAS: None Lemon-Lime Fragrance (crap)

    --
    Bill

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 1000-oaks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    442
    Since you're combating an oil I would think any cheap, gritty automotive hand cleaner (Fast Orange, etc) would probably help a lot. If it can remove nasty oil engine grime, it's gotta remove a little bit of light natural oil from a plant.

    And if you've got PO in your area, Ortho Bush-B-Gone concentrate mixed at 4X strength works awesome from a Hudson sprayer, or even from a smaller bottle from OSH that fits in a Camelback. Spray leaves liberally and a week or two later the whole plant is dead, and won't grow back for a year or two. Best to spray, then come back in a few weeks with long-handle pruning tool and nip off the bush at ground level so the dead branches don't keep giving people PO. (yes, even the dead, leafless branches can get you.)
    Craig Kelly is my copilot.Product Marketing and Product Photographer

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •