Thread: Bootleg Canyon?

Phil from San Diego

Bootleg Canyon?

With the fires and bad air quality here in San Diego, I was thinking about taking a trip out of town and head to Bootleg Canyon. I've never been there but hear it's pretty fun...

Looking for more info about the place. Anyone know if they are open and is it still too hot out there..? How does the shuttles work..? What are the fees for the park..? and where do you suggest staying?

Thanks much!

Phil.

mtbr member
    http://www.allmountaincyclery.com/shuttles.htm

Call these guys for all the info you need.
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Not much lodging availability left (I looked this morning).

Bootleg is always open, as far as I know. It'll be warm, but not unbearable if you live here in So Cal.

Shuttles are done through AMC (as mentioned).

Bring some protection from rocks and have fun!

Phil from San Diego
    cool. =) Thanks! Lodging.. maybe I can find something in Vegas or near by...

just tired of all the fires/smoke and can't wait till June 08 for mammoth to open. =p

Phil.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Best western in boulder!

mtbr member
    It's open 24/7 and it's free! Make sure you drop some ca$h in the donation box though.... I go there often, it's fun! Something for everyone. Hardcore DH runs and (so I hear) fantastic XC trails. The jump park is epic and you can't beat the price! Shuttles are on weekends only. The price varys~ I've paid $10, $15 and $20 for an all day shuttle. You can also shuttle it yourself if you have two cars. I've also hitched a ride with people too.

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    I just rode there on Monday. Weather is just about perfect right now. Expect cool weather in the morning, low 40s to 50s and afternoon temps around 70. I go on business about every two weeks and this weekend and all of next week you will have trouble finding a hotel anywhere in town. It is convention season and the prices go up all over the area. Expect to pay around $250 and up for a place in Henderson, NV.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

mtbr member
    AMC rarely has the shuttle going anymore, it has been broken or otherwise out of commission the last 3 times I've been up there.

Awesome trails, bring every pad you own and a pickup truck if you plan on doing the downhill runs.

Bring your girlfriend to drive the truck too. And you can make $5/trip from all the guys like me looking for a lift to the top.

To climb to the top take girl scout trail (or west leg) to boy scout trail to the top, it is a great technical climb.
    -MitchB

mtbr member
    For more Xc miles do Calderas trail, nice views and longer loop, Girls Scout is also a lot of fun downhill again from the Xc point of view, for hardcore DH there is plenty also, get a map at the AMC.

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    A good XC loop is up West Leg to middle Caldera. Caldera up Boy Scout. Boy Scout to Skyline. Skyline is a great down with some techy rock sections. Finish with the always fun Girlscout down. If you have more time play around with a lower to middle lake view loop. It is only about a mile and is real quick and fun.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

Glad to Be Alive
    it's in the low 80's....great time of year to ride
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    All Mountain dont run the shuttle much in summer time. Not enough people out to make ant cash. One thing to remember when your planning a Bootleg trip, if the kids are on summer vacation the shuttle aint running. If you have a large group going up you can call Jeff at AMC and he would run for you, thats if you group is large enough.

Phil from San Diego
    Great info. Thanks guys. =)

Phil

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    When are you going to go Phil? I'm planning on making a trip up there early December. Do you guys have any ideas on lodging and other side trips? Isn't Red Rock canyon pretty cool?

Phil from San Diego
    I'm going to Vegas this weekend but w/out my bike. I'll go check out the area and see what I find out regarding places to stay and camp sites if any.

The lack of shuttle availability is a bit discouraging though...

Maybe some of us can hook up and take a couple trips out there before it gets too cold.

Phil.