Lord of the Chainrings

Bonsall river park a step closer to becoming reality

Is SDMBA or any local MTB riders actively involved in the trail system here?
    1600 acres is a lot of land!

Article: http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008...5_123_4_08.txt
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mudd; 03-05-2008 at 05:09 PM.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    Wow!!! I wish I would have known about this meeting. I am a proud Bonsall resident and would LOVE to become more involved with this project. I heard that something like this was in the works, but never really heard much more about it. Looks like it's getting more official. A trail/bike path area in the riverbed would be awesome...right now, it's just a mess of that river grass with some migrant worker camps scattered here and there.

Maybe SDMBA Mark knows more about this project?

Lord of the Chainrings
    Bunch of news reporters out there this morning.
    Guess some "idiot" decided to climb a power pole to steal some copper and fry himself.
    Last edited by Mudd; 03-07-2008 at 08:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I grew up in Fallbrook and remember Bonsall being all about the equestrians. Do you think mountain bikes are gonna get a fair shot at some trails?

Lord of the Chainrings
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarpa
    I grew up in Fallbrook and remember Bonsall being all about the equestrians. Do you think mountain bikes are gonna get a fair shot at some trails?
    Yes, we can peacefully coexist! I like the idea about separate or somewhat parallel trails for horses and cyclists. With well planned and well designed trails it can become a reality for all user groups to enjoy.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Here's a pdf link to the Master Plan.
    Page 11 actually mentions bikes: http://sdcounty.ca.gov/parks/docs/sl...Sec1_PRINT.pdf

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks Mudd! This could turn out good. I'll keep my eyes open for community input meetings etc. Sorry I missed the one they reported in the paper -- first I heard of it. I used to walk the riverbed area with my dog and a .22 when I was ten years old. Rode three-wheelers there in later years. Trails would be great! It's funny how an area goes thru stages as population grows. 1. low population, lots of accessible open land with little regulation 2. big population, land development runs rampant, remaining open land fenced off and restricted 3. increased population pressure & recreation demand plus more money available leads to creation of parks and great trail systems, albeit highly regulated. We're in the middle painful stage, headed to the third I hope.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Quote Originally Posted by OldDogDan
    Thanks Mudd! This could turn out good. I'll keep my eyes open for community input meetings etc. Sorry I missed the one they reported in the paper -- first I heard of it. I used to walk the riverbed area with my dog and a .22 when I was ten years old. Rode three-wheelers there in later years. Trails would be great! It's funny how an area goes thru stages as population grows. 1. low population, lots of accessible open land with little regulation 2. big population, land development runs rampant, remaining open land fenced off and restricted 3. increased population pressure & recreation demand plus more money available leads to creation of parks and great trail systems, albeit highly regulated. We're in the middle painful stage, headed to the third I hope.
    That would be awesome!
    Perhaps you and downhilljill could keep an eye on this for SDMBA.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I saw the San Diego County Trails Council mentioned in the Master Plan acknowledgements, wasn't familiar with it, so looked it up and signed up for free membership and e-mail newsletter. Figure they may be the best way to stay informed on this. They prominently advocate for mountain bikes and have links to SDMBA and IMBA.

http://sdctc.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I doubt they will ever open that up. Im from Fallbrook and they have been kicking and fining anyone in that area for as long as I can remember. Anywhere there is a trail seems to have a fence up. I know you could drive around it by Via Monserate but they put up even a bigger fence. Its filled with homeless people and migrant workers for sure.