[paste title here]

Bonelli Race this sunday

Hey is anyone else doing the Bonelli Race this upcoming Sunday. Its going to be my first race so I will be racing in the Jr. Beg Class. I just wanted to know if anyone else has done this race and what should I expect. I probably going to pre-ride the course this friday to see how it is. Oh and Im not sure on what to bring to this race. Should I bring my camelbak or just use a water bottle?, etc. Thanks for the info!
    Keep Pedaling

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

That course is easy BUT fast

Check out TeamBigBear.com for info on the course. They are gonna run it the opposite direction this year. That site will also show you what last years winnig time was.
    The course is easy and that just makes for a faster course. Plan on at least a nine mile lap. I believe sport does two and expert and up do three. There are short power hills and fast spinning. KEEP THE PACE UP if you want to win.
    I don't think you need a camelback. I really don't belive in them. Consider that you are gonna race for under an hour so one bottle of water will work for you. You do not want to add more weight to you while you race.( I also hate how your back sweats and gets wet from the pack because it can not breath) Consider that it will be HOT that day and some people complain about it. I have also flatted there from thorns. So that may happen.
    Make sure your chain is lubbed properly the night before and don't run lower PSI in you tires. Run the normal PSI. Nothing to really worry about.

Enjoy the race and have a positive attitude before the race begins. Oh yea, remember everyone is hurting SO who can out last who???? Remember keep up the speed at all times.

[paste title here]
    Whoa just came back from the bonelli race and it was VERY hot. I think it got up to 100 degrees so it just made riding miserable. Anyways, we got to the park around 10:00 and it was crowded. At first I was going to fun a water bottle but I changed my mind to use my camelbak due to the heat (one of the best decisions I made since I wouldnt have maked it with a water bottle) I got my bike ready and headed down to pick up my number. I entered in the Jr. Beg Mens 17-18. My class didnt leave till 11:21 so we had time to check out the vendors and keep cool before the race starts.

Well 11:21 came up quickly and our class started. Since it was my first time I was very nervous and as the race started I couldnt keep concentrated. My stomach felt weird and I couldnt think straight. It was a weird feeling and I figured that it was probably due to the fact that it was my first time or I was getting heat exaustion. Whatever it was I felt tired, so I just took short rests and walked up on some uphills. Riding the trail was like riding through the desert, the sun just warmed up the ground which reflected on my face. I rode the trail earlier on fri and temps were down to the mid 70's. So it was a huge difference. I finished the race in one piece and I got a time of 1 hr 12 min. I placed third out of four. So not bad for a first timer I guess..... I just hope the next races I do wont be as hot.

Here are some shots:

And we're off!

A couple of misc shots of the picnic valley

Finally finished the race

And course the podium shot.

Just curious if anyone here attended this race?

-mtnbikerdude87
    Keep Pedaling

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I was there today also. I raced Sport 35-39. It was way hot! My HRM has a thermeter on it and said 101 during the long climb on the back side. I raced last week at the Firestone in SB. It was 96 during the race there. I thought that was bad. Last week I ran out of water and they only had two water hand off points. The first one ran out of water. I raced the second lap without water. This time I took my camel back and a bottle. I lost the bottle early on one of the decents. The camel back along with the water stations held me through though.

We'll congrats on your first race. You picked a real tough one to start with. It will only get easier from there. Feel proud that you finished. There were alot of people that can't say that from today.

What a change today was from last year at Bonelli. It was a mud fest last year. The creek crossing was more like a lake. Everyone was covered in mud. The drivetrains refused to shift right with all the mud. I'm not sure which was worse, the mud last year or the heat today.

Well, I better go drink some more. I'm still dehydrated.

[paste title here]
    Quote Originally Posted by oc-biker
    I was there today also. I raced Sport 35-39. It was way hot! My HRM has a thermeter on it and said 101 during the long climb on the back side. I raced last week at the Firestone in SB. It was 96 during the race there. I thought that was bad. Last week I ran out of water and they only had two water hand off points. The first one ran out of water. I raced the second lap without water. This time I took my camel back and a bottle. I lost the bottle early on one of the decents. The camel back along with the water stations held me through though.

We'll congrats on your first race. You picked a real tough one to start with. It will only get easier from there. Feel proud that you finished. There were alot of people that can't say that from today.

What a change today was from last year at Bonelli. It was a mud fest last year. The creek crossing was more like a lake. Everyone was covered in mud. The drivetrains refused to shift right with all the mud. I'm not sure which was worse, the mud last year or the heat today.

Well, I better go drink some more. I'm still dehydrated.
    I remember reading an article in MBA about last years bonelli race. Seems like this race has seen both ends of the weather specturm. I would pick the muddy weather because my body was giving up on me on this heat.

I ran out of water halfway up the climb to the high power line. I guess I drank too much (which was good) and I didnt fill it up only a little bit. But I was glad they had a gatorade station at the top, I drank one cup of gatorade and I felt a lot better. Then just powered all the way back to the finish.

Thanks
    Keep Pedaling