mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Bobcat Sighting Today San Juan Trail

I couldn't believe my eyes. Yes it was most definitely a lynx. It was unmistakable!!! I had no idea they were running around So Cal. Thought it was a cold weather cat. It crossed the road right in front of me and stopped and stared for quite a while. I wasn't the only one that saw it. Kind of cool and scary at the same time. This occurred down at the bottom of the trail in Lazy Ranch area.

Anyone else experience a Lynx sighting?

Last edited by islandlife; 10-25-2011 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Accuracy

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Bobcat......

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    OK I looked it up and you are correct CEB didn't realize that the Bobcat and Lynx were so similar. Could not have been a Lynx based on Geo.

mtbr member
    In the past year I've come across 4 bobcats in Chino Hills while riding. Due to their sizes and coloration, I'm sure at least 3 of them were different cats. The closest one was in the middle of Telegraph and when I came around a quick corner I went so close to him I could have petted him as I went by. Bad thing that I've been too slow at getting the camera out that I haven't been able to get a photo. Like seeing those kitty cats.

mtbr member
    I haven't seen any bobcats in a while. I did see a fox a couple of weeks ago.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Nice sighting!

They're actually pretty common. I think even Aliso, as a small park, has 3 or 4; I saw a coyote chase one up a tree there years ago. And people see them fairly often in Laguna Coast/El Moro and mistake them for mtn lions.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

Front Range, Colorado
    Welcome to the great outdoors. You really need to learn the wildlife in the region you are riding in. Bobcats are an illusive species not as much so as a mountain lion. But both are in the areas we ride in. Both are rarely seen but they are there. And don't worry about a Bobcat attacking you it's not likely to happen, unless its rabid. They are more afraid of humans than you should be of them. Concider yourself lucky to have seen one many people frequent the wilds for years and never do.

trail rat
    This February, I had one saunter down the trail, do a slight detour around me (I was doing trail work), and get back on the trail and saunter on down. It got off and on the trail about 20 feet away, but passed even closer during the detour. Damn thing never said thank you for the trail work, even though it likes using the trails I work on.

CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    It's always a treat to see a bobcat, though they're actually pretty common.

Some friends here in Newport Beach had one around their house for several weeks.

I've seen them a lot in Aliso-Wood Park in Laguna. It may have been the same ones all the time, out and about in the early evening.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    only ever seen one while riding. came around a corner and there he was. we just stared at each other for a few and he decided I was boring and went on his way. pretty cool though

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    In the past year I've come across 4 bobcats in Chino Hills while riding. Due to their sizes and coloration, I'm sure at least 3 of them were different cats. The closest one was in the middle of Telegraph and when I came around a quick corner I went so close to him I could have petted him as I went by. Bad thing that I've been too slow at getting the camera out that I haven't been able to get a photo. Like seeing those kitty cats.
    Just did that run this morning! What loop do you do? My buddy and I did a quick loop before work but i feel like we didn't go the best way.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    Saw a rather healthy large one in El Moro Canyon last Sunday!
    We are talking about Bobcats right? And not Cougar's.

mtbr member
    Ran into a mom and three babies in the lagunas a couple of months back. First time for that, but I've run into single adults three or four times since moving to San Diego a few years back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Always cool to see wildlife like that on a ride. I just saw some type of cat tonight when riding on the Golden Hills singletrack in Tehachapi. It was pretty big. It was fairly close to the trail, but I spooked it and it darted up the hill. It stopped and looked at me. I was about to pull out my Blackberry to snap a pic of it, but it kept slowly walking up the hill. I let it be and moved on. It was probably a bobcat, but I didn't see any spots on it. Than again, it was just after sunset, so the lighting wasn't too good.

The only thing I have to compare it to was a bobcat I saw while riding at Big Bear a few weeks ago. I was bombing down Plantation Trail, and a bobcat just liesurely walked across the trail about 15' in front of me. It was pretty small, and had was much darker (orange and dark brown) with spots.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I am really lucky, I work in Pauma Valley and ride harrison canyon at least twice a year. I have seen in the last 10 years 2 bears,2 gray wolves,uncounted bobcats,uncounted turkeys,a mountain lion(it was chasing a german shepard),a million peacocks,a jazillion roadrunners, and a whole bunch of deer.The deer are the real problem because they will run you over trying to get out of the way.The peacocks I have a problem with also, One flew up and I nailed it going downhill( yes I ate dirt).

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchD View Post
    I am really lucky, I work in Pauma Valley and ride harrison canyon at least twice a year. I have seen in the last 10 years 2 bears,2 gray wolves,uncounted bobcats,uncounted turkeys,a mountain lion(it was chasing a german shepard),a million peacocks,a jazillion roadrunners, and a whole bunch of deer.The deer are the real problem because they will run you over trying to get out of the way.The peacocks I have a problem with also, One flew up and I nailed it going downhill( yes I ate dirt).
    I think you may be mistaken on your wolf sightings. As they have been extinct in all of California for decades. Pauma Valley does have some big German Shepard's and many Huskies due to the Indian reservations in the area. Which is most likely what you saw. Wolves in California

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by altsurfryan View Post
    Just did that run this morning! What loop do you do? My buddy and I did a quick loop before work but i feel like we didn't go the best way.
    I usually do a Southridge to Telegraph to Northridge to Sycamore to Telegraph to Little Canyon and back on Southridge loop although I've done quite a bit of wandering all over the place.

Saw 2 bobcats on Telegraph near the water plant, one at the entrance by Telegraph and Northridge and one on Bovine Delight.

mtbr member
    Saw one right near the san ysidro trailhead in Santa Barbara a few months back.
    [IMG]Santa Barbara, CA[/IMG]

Over the Hill
    SART look for the yellow eyes.

Dean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bobcat Sighting Today San Juan Trail-img_1674.jpg  

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper View Post
    SART look for the yellow eyes.

Dean
    Awesome night shot! Perfect timing for Halloween.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Ive seen them up in Marshal Canyon.

mtbr member
    We see them alot on Santa Rosa Pleatu late in the evenings

Glad to Be Alive
    BobCats....
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days