mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Blur or Epic ???? Help me buy one!!!

Hola-
    Newbie here looking for some advice.......

I live in North County San Diego on the coast. There are a lot of hills here, but it's pretty well groomed (not a lot of rocks, stumps, jumps, etc). I come from a road background and am looking to get into riding a MTB once / week (on the weekends - purely as recreation - no racing). I'm 36 and in good shape.

Anyone have any advice / pros / cons about the Epic vs. the Blur? I'm leaning toward the Blur, but need someone to push me one way or the other.

All help is greatly appreciated!
    Ride Sandy Eggo

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Get what feels the best to you! Most bike owners are very patriotic to the brand they bought, usually because they have not had the time to PROPERLY sample alternate bike. It is rough to get a un-bi-assed opinion.

Read all the reviews in this website, and get a "collective" judgement. Note what users say about "other bikes tested". There are a few riders that bought, set up and rode for weeks and months bikes they didn't like, but that is an expen$ive way to learn.

Good luck and always remember, in mountain biking, just because the pedals are moving doesn't mean you will!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Both are fine bikes - but I am guessing that since you come from a road background that the fit of the Epic and suspension feel would be more to your liking - at least initially.

The Epic is more stretched out in the cockpit and has stiffer feeling suspension with the brain shock and all. I think the Epic "feels" faster in terms of acceleration and such - and the blur is more laid back in terms of positioning and suspension feel

But both are excellent bikes - and no I do not own either of them.

Kirk

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Get a 29er!
    Coming from a road background that is the hoop size you are used to!

Lord of the Chainrings
    VPP my friend!
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I switched over from a 04' Blur. I didn't like the maintenance on the bearings every six months. If you like working on your bike though go for it, it is a nice ride.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Epic is a 4" XC bike, better for long distance or for climbing. Blur XC (I am assuming you are looking at this version, not LT or 4X) is a slightly longer travel bike for more all terrain/downhill. Both are good bikes, and components probably matter more than the frame on these bikes. VPP helps on climbs, and makes it a little more plush. You can't go wrong either way. The downside with Specialized is that they tend to use their own components into the build.

I think you need to demo both on the hills and then decide. I would also see where you can get the best deals on each. Or you might want to add Intense Spider into the mix. I have a friend who swears by this bike.

Glad to Be Alive
    IMO here some really good advice

if you are just coming around to this sport....I think your best bet would be....

buy something used..that way if you make the wrong decision...

you can sell the bike for as much as you purchased it
    you thrash a bike that isn't worth 2,000 while you learn to ride mtns.
    gives you better understanding of Mtn bikes when you go to purchase next bike

Epic is a better pedaling bike, but I would still choose the Blur. The reason....You don't give up that much pedaling ability but you gain with the suspension a whole lot.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ride sandy eggo
    Hola-
    Newbie here looking for some advice.......

I live in North County San Diego on the coast. There are a lot of hills here, but it's pretty well groomed (not a lot of rocks, stumps, jumps, etc). I come from a road background and am looking to get into riding a MTB once / week (on the weekends - purely as recreation - no racing). I'm 36 and in good shape.

Anyone have any advice / pros / cons about the Epic vs. the Blur? I'm leaning toward the Blur, but need someone to push me one way or the other.

All help is greatly appreciated!
    Ride Sandy Eggo

I have almost the same back ground as you. I'm 36 and raced road for many years and have recently got into mountain biking. I looked at the Blur LT, Intense 5.5, and the Ellsworth Moment. I ended up with a Bionicon Golden Willow. I really like the bike. I live in Tehachapi and ride in Kernville and in Mojave at our proving ground where there is some decent climbs and lots of sand. The GW seems to fit this area quite well.

mtbr member
    Blur LT for North San Diego
    is the way to GO...................

mtbr member

the blur

go with the blur

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    IMO here some really good advice

if you are just coming around to this sport....I think your best bet would be....

buy something used..that way if you make the wrong decision...
    I gotta agree with ShiverMT, if you are a newbie may be you shouldn't go all out on a NEW ride.

There are tons of bikes on craigslist from people that bought expensive bikes and never use them.

Also, if you have the time, try and demo some bikes, too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Ride Sandy Eggo, You havea pm re ( blur lt for sale)

_
    Mar 2004
    SMT made many valid points. I would also steer you in the direction of the Blur. The pedalling efficiency is great and the suspension is going to be more active than that of the epic.

Mt Wilson Motoboy

Turner...

.... bushings last longer than bearings and don't creak. You can thank me after you sell the Blur your gonna buy.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]"My people are the people of the dessert!"
    said T.E. Lawrence picking up his fork...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

That's gonna leave a mark
    The Epic would be a more logical transition from a road background.
    -The riding position on the Blur is very laid back and won't feel as natural (body position) on the climbs.
    -The Epic will be a stiffer ride (something you're used to on the road) with out-of-the-saddle efforts and climbing.

The comment from Cable0Guy re: Specialized in-house component specs is off base. The fact that Specialized does a lot of in-house component specs says something about the R&D they put into their bikes. It also ensures compatibility with the bike working as a unit, rather than a sum of its parts.

Coming from a roadie/MTB background, my vote is for Specialized. Besides, Santa Cruz pivots creak like a sinking ship.

FWIW, I don't own a Specialized and used to own a VP Free.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

My 2cents...

they are both very different and require different riding styles. I liked the Blur since I thought it hooked upbetter under torque load but it has a bit more feedback and activness that some find overwelming. The fox shock on the Epic has come a long way and is soooooo much better than it used to be. I thought the bike worked well also....both are good choices. I ride my single 99% of the time anyway so my Blur hanges as a partically built bike. Do you fit a med?

As for the bearing issue.....not too many problems for me...but i also own the toolset to change them out
    Eric

"Pain is nothing compared to what it feels like to quit"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Turner five spot is the best bike ever created. I used to own a blur and want to let you know that you need to go to the spot. It is truly the most plush, well made bike ever created, and yes bushels last longer

That's gonna leave a mark
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin1011
    Turner five spot is the best bike ever created. I used to own a blur and want to let you know that you need to go to the spot. It is truly the most plush, well made bike ever created, and yes bushels last longer
    Eh, I currently own a Spot. I think the Spot is too much of an All Mountain/Trail bike for someone coming from a road bike background. IMO, I'd still say the Epic is the best bike for him.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Agree 100% about not spending too much on the first bike. The first bike should be for figuring out what you like and don't like. For me, a test ride didn't do it. I had to ride for a while to understand what I wanted.

Like upchuck said...the XC-race type bikes will feel more natural initially. That doesn't mean its the right bike for you long term.

I have a long background in road riding and bought my 1st bike based on what felt right to me from my road bike....long top tube, low handlebars. BIG mistake. The bike never felt right and was very nervous downhill. Also being stretched out over the rough stuff caused back pain after about 90 mins or so.

I sold it and got a bike with a much shorter top tube and higher front end. I am much happier now. I got an Intense Spider, very similar to the Blur. I like it a lot. My road position is now VERY different from my mtb position. I don't race, btw.

See you at the top.
    Oct 2005
    life time warranty on a Specialized. 2 years on blur which is raw on a mass produced in Taiwan bike. I would go Specialized myself.
    Don't be the 13th inch. Keep single track single!

Buck Fush.

mtbr member

Ride the bike

If you find a Spesh dealer in your area the offer the Epic for a demo ride. The only way for anyone to decide if you like it or not is to ride it in the areas your going to use it.
    Your LBS can set the demo bike up for your height, weight , and local riding conditions. Also give you some tips on places to go.
    Yes I have an Epic (& Enduro SL) and it was the best transition bike for a roadie or hardtail rider that is getting into the ride.
    Your the one spending the money so ride it if you can and make the decision yourself.
    Ride on and for what its worth the Epic is the better choice over the Blur.