Over the Hill

Blue Ridge Question

San Gabriel Mountains In Wrightwood, CA.

Is it ridable from the bottom? I don't mind climbing. But the climb up Hwy2 does not apeal to me if there is a dirt alternative.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper

Is it ridable from the bottom? I don't mind climbing. But the climb up Hwy2 does not apeal to me if there is a dirt alternative.
    YES. I'm a Clydesdale but about 2/3 of the climb up is ridable for me. After crossing the bridge I have to walk about the next .5 mile but can ride the next 1 1/2 mile. I walk up the switches near the top but can ride in between them.

There is another dirt alternative. Go up the entrance to Mtn High West and bear right to the Bullwheel Saloon. At the end of the pavement you'll see a service road going to the right under the beginner lift. Behind the top of the lift you'll find that the service road continues up to the southwest eventually joining Blue Ridge Road after 1 mile about 1/2 mile east of Inspiration Point. Turn left on the broken asphalt road for an easy 2 mile climb to the top of the trail at the campground. It is longer but for me it takes the same amount of time as walking/riding up the trail. Personally, I have philosophical and gravitational objections to riding up singletrack (that's another post) but I have done so on this trail when the man-made snow covers the road.

Just passing through....

Maddog is right, it is rideable, I know people who've done it, but theres some sections that you'd most likely have to walk. It'd be a grind, but its doable. Otherwise, the climb up Hwy 2 really isn't that bad, and it's kind of an extra workout to finish off the ride.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

Over the Hill
    It is not the Hyw2 climb, it is only about 500 ft., it is the cars, and the idiot drivers I dislike. I have had cars come way to close for comfort and last year had a bottle thrown at me.

Are there any private property issues using Mtn. Highs services roads.
    Last edited by dstepper; 09-13-2004 at 06:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

It's a great climb.

This area is a awesome. It's a bit remote for most but well worth the effort.

What is the route and mileage for your ride.

Just passing through....
    It is not the Hyw2 climb, it is only about 500 ft., it is the cars, and the idiot drivers I dislike. I have had cars come way to close for comfort and last year had a bottle thrown at me.
    I hear ya on that. I haven't really had a problem on this ride, theres a wide shoulder on most (but not all) of the road stretch, and cars have been pretty good about giving clearance here. Theres a lot of roadies that ride this road every weekend, so I guess the locals are used to it. Thats been my experience here anyway. I too have had my share of bad experiences on other roads though.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

Over the Hill
    My first time there and I was riding alone...followed Blue Ridge Truck Trail from Inspiration Point to it's end on Wright Mountain. Did allot of hiking along the Pacific Crest Trail as it intersects Blue Ridge Truck Trail numerous times. Located singletrack in Blue Ridge Campground and plan a new attack in a few weeks, which includes the single track.

Anyway, from the gate at Hwy 5 to the end of Blue Ridge Truck Trail and back was 15.5 miles and 1756 ft total elevation gain. The views are outstanding.

For you hikers, there is a hiking trail off Blue Ridge Truck Trail that takes you to top of Mt Baldy, via Pine Mountain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Are there any private property issues using Mtn. Highs services roads.
    Although I've never had a problem with vehicles on Hwy 2 I do use the service road about 95% of the time to avoid the traffic. I've gone up the service rd dozens of times right past Mt. High employees and never had anybody say anything but "Hi" or You're nuts". Too bad nobody has ever offered me a ride! I think it's just like Mammoth in that Mt. High leases the land from the Forest Service. The service rd is actually a FS rd. Private Property is not a problem for that reason.

Next time any of you go up there for a ride, let me know. I'm only an hour from there and I can show you a cool trail on the ridge north of hwy 2 off of Table Mountain.
    Last edited by Maddog; 09-13-2004 at 09:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    My first time there and I was riding alone...followed Blue Ridge Truck Trail from Inspiration Point to it's end on Wright Mountain. Did allot of hiking along the Pacific Crest Trail as it intersects Blue Ridge Truck Trail numerous times. Located singletrack in Blue Ridge Campground and plan a new attack in a few weeks, which includes the single track.

Anyway, from the gate at Hwy 5 to the end of Blue Ridge Truck Trail and back was 15.5 miles and 1756 ft total elevation gain. The views are outstanding.

For you hikers, there is a hiking trail off Blue Ridge Truck Trail that takes you to top of Mt Baldy, via Pine Mountain.
    Yeah, I've done alot of hiking on the Crest Trail too! Another great trail up there is the Acorn Trail. Turn left off Blue Ridge rd. past the Guffy Campground. Go about 2 miles east on that FS rd. Look to the left at the apex of a right hand turn and you'll see the Crest Trail paralleling the road as it has since passing Guffy. Carry your bike across the Crest Trail and you should see a sign where the Acorn trail crosses thePCT. The trail drops 2 1/4 miles of narrow, rocky, fast and technical trail with tight switchbacks to Wrightwood. It's a long climb to get there (12 mi. on the service rd, about 10 going up BRT) but it's worth it.

If you go on the road past the trail junction you see a big slide area which I heard was some quake fault. I did that once and saw 5 Nelson Big Horn Sheep scampering over the rocks. When I first heard the rockslide they caused, I thought it was some very brave DHers riding down the slide.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

More great riding

I lived in Wrightwood for 5 years and rode all over the area

FYI: Blue Ridge Trail is very rideable up with some steep sections.

My favorite route is to ride up from Wrightwood, there is a nice dirt road that parallels Hwy 2, spits you out just below Mt. High East and picks up again at the end of East's parking lot. The dirt road ends right at the bottom of Blue Ridge Trail. From that point go back out to the Hwy., ride through Big Pines (Original site chosen for the 1932 Winter Olympics!).

Of course you can start these rides from Big Pines or Mt. High and avoid 1,000 feet of climbing.

Go up to Mt. High West, ride up to the Bullwheel Saloon and turn on the dirt road leading up the mountain, go around the small chairlift (Ch. 3) unloading area on the right. This road goes up and dead ends on Blue Ridge Road.

Once on BRR you can turn left and ride up to Blue Ridge Trail for a great downhill (watch for hikers) or continue up BRR to Acorn Trail (mentioned in post above).

OR

My favorite ride is to go right on BRR, that will quickly lead to Hwy 2. at Inspiration Point. Go left on Hwy 2 to the Visitors Center, turn right, ride around the gates on the main paved road continuing until the road turns to dirt (+-1.5 miles), about 100 yards after the road turn to dirt look on your right for the start of a single track. Proceed down the single track, it will cross the PCT following the trail left off the PCT. This is a rough, fun stretch of trail that descends for about 2 miles. The trail ends on a dirt road above Jackson Lake.

Once you hit the dirt road look for the single track directly across the road and follow this trail back up the mountain. This is a great middle chain ring climb that gets technical in places. After about 2 miles the trail will end on a dirt road. Turn left here, this is the same road that you were on earlier and will lead you back to the Visitors Center. The climb back is not tough but by now you have climbed close to 3,000 vert. (from Wrightwood). Once you go through the Visitors Center turn left on Hwy 2 go back up to Inspiration Point.

From Inspiration Point you can:
    1) Ride down Hwy 2 back to Mt. High or Wrightwood
    2) Turn right on Blue Ridge Road ride back to the dirt road you road earlier from Mt High
    3) Continue up BRR to Blue Ridge Trail and down
    4) Ride all the way up BBR to Acorn Trail

If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me at tahoetucker@hotmail.com

Good riding!

Brad