mtbr member

Blue Jay Camping

Hey guys,

Has anybody been camping in Blue Jay in the Silveraldo Canyon? If so what are the camp grounds like and can I bring my bike to ride out their? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Blue jay is not in Silverado Canyon, it is off of Ortega hwy. That aside, the riding out that way is awesome. Check out http://www.geoladders.com/routes.php and look at the trails involving San Juan, Los Pinos, and Chiquito.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    They're undeveloped. Kind of outhouse-like toilets. I believe there's running water in the campground, but I've never stayed, so can't confirm. Definitely hit up San Juan or one of the surrounding loops, or even do Trabuco - Holy Jim (it's the reverse of Holy Jim - Trabuco, cause you're right by Trabuco).

mtbr member
    If you're referring to Blue Jay campground off of Ortega Hwy, then please read this not so positive account of camping there: Duschebags at BlueJay Campground

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    Bring bikes, beers...and a gun.
    It wasn't me

mtbr member

Blue Jay

Thanks guys for all the info. I am only staying for one night no big deal. As far as the guns go I will be ok, my friend is a cop and she always packs the heat

mtbr member
    she eh?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I just camped and rode there over this last weekend. The first day we did San Juan to Los Pinos. Second day, we did San Juan to Chiquito. The campsite was great. We did have some "undesireables" camped near us, which is pretty much the case in any developed campsite in my experience. Somehow, the cops were alerted to their presence, and they came and locked them up and took them away. Seems like maybe they have had some issues out there, and so the cops have been touring the area to keep things sane. I'd stay there again for sure. Nice campground, and great riding in the area.

Only thing is, when you are camped there, you are pretty much at the top of most trails. So, if you want to ride, unless you want to end your ride with a climb, you'd want to drive to the bottom of the San Juan trailhead to start. Up to you, but just something to be aware of. We ended up driving to the San Juan trailhead on Saturday morning, riding all day, then driving up to Bluejay to camp for the night. We then broke camp in the morning, drove down to the bottom of San Juan to start the ride, and the left from there after the ride.

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Howeler
    Bring bikes, beers...and a gun.
    True dat.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mtbr member

Another question

How technical is the downhill on those trails. I am still somewhat a newbie I guess. If its like Aliso Woods then I will be OK with that. I have done Aliso 4 times and I am OK with the downhill techical part their. I am not sure where in Aliso were we did the down hill but I do know this we went up Cholla and made a right then made another 3/4 mile ride up then from their it was just all down hill and some single track. My buddy said this was the most technical part of Aliso. I am such a newbie

Over the Hill
    First time out there? I would stay on San Juan. Unless you have good tech skills, I would save Chiquito for another day.

Los Pinos is a tough trail, I have never been on it but I know a number of good riders that think twice before riding it....numerious hike-a-bikes.

Note: The most tech trails in Aliso that are legal to ride are: 5-Oaks and Stairsteps.

Dean

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fired Yo Momma
    Thanks guys for all the info. I am only staying for one night no big deal. As far as the guns go I will be ok, my friend is a cop and she always packs the heat
    Excellent! A camping trip with the girlfriend and mountain biking is involved and the girlfriend is armed. Does she ride, too? I know you aren't supposed to mix alcohol and firearms, but all this trip needs to be epic is a bbq and some steaks.

mtbr member

Cool deals, I feel pumped now

Yea, that was it we went down stair steps (in Aliso) with my buddy who rides quite a bit. It was funny because he said he was sorry because he did not want to take me down stair steps yet, but he messed up and went the wrong way. Sometimes I think for some people its better to just throw them to the wolves and let them sink or swim.

Well I went to Blue Jay Friday night and it seems to be a pretty good campsite, fun! I will for sure make another visit. My girl douse not ride, but she wants to get into it. She has only rode once before and had a bad experience. She sees how much I am into it and she wants to get into it as well with me. I can't ask for anything better! When we went to Blue Jay on Friday night it was kind of a last min gig and I did not have enough time to get my buddy's bike to ride for her, and I was not too fimiliar with the trail so it was proberly better that I did not take her along. It was funny because we went for a walk around the campsite at about 1230 AM and heard a couple going at it hard on their campsite, too funny We saw everything because it was a full moon that night. Well anyways that later on in the morning I rode down the trail maybe I/3 down the San Jaun trail and found another trail that ran parallel to the San Juan. I had to hike the bike up some back country, but the main concern was that I did not want to get too far away from the campsite and I was by myself on the ride and first time riding the trails out their as well.