mtbr member
    Apr 2010

BLT / Los Gatos signage

Just out of curiousity, does anybody know who paid for that signage on Los Gatos? That's very nice stuff. I can't see the state dishing out that kind of coin. Trails are in great shape as well. Props to those putting in the time for the rest of us slackers.

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Just out of curiousity, does anybody know who paid for that signage on Los Gatos? That's very nice stuff. I can't see the state dishing out that kind of coin. Trails are in great shape as well. Props to those putting in the time for the rest of us slackers.
    Nice signage in deed....but, we'll see how long it lasts until some young hooligan f's it up. Not a question of if, but when...it always is.

Speaking of signage...noticed this w/e that some of the trail markers up in La Costa Preserve are already missing the round metal info emblems on them. I could see how they could be easily removed and taken for souvenirs, they are kinda cool-looking. Replacing those each year is going to cost a few pennies.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thank SDMBA for the work. The sign too, maybe, but on that I'm not sure. The Lagunas' are one of the few places I ride in this county where I feel like I'm truly welcome. It will get even better once the PCT is open to ride. I hope to see that in my lifetime. Preferably, while I can still ride a bike!
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    The signs were paid for and made by a few private individuals (not me I just know who they are) interested in making the area a better place. They definitely did a great job and signs were installed as part of a sdmba trail day.

official eMpTyBRain
    Well, can somebody please post some pics of the signs so that I will know what you guys are talking about? Thanks!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Well, can somebody please post some pics of the signs so that I will know what you guys are talking about? Thanks!
    I'll post some pics Monday as I'm riding there Sunday.

9AM Roll out from the bottom lot if you wanna come along and see them in person...

Long ass drive for him, but if hawg commits to being there I will be too. Not like it takes much push to ride up there. Love that ride!!!!

P.s. its even better at like 6am (before the multi use traffic kicks in)
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Sorry no pics. I didn't see any special signage of note, just the standard brown composite semi-flexible blade stuck in the ground with the reflective decals on them. Looks as though some have been updated with names of trails. So other than that same types of signs I've seen out there for the last 4+ years.

Weather was perfect, extra credit was less sandy than I remember it. Looking forward to hitting this trail a few more time this year in the cool weather.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    The signs were paid for and made by a few private individuals (not me I just know who they are) interested in making the area a better place. They definitely did a great job and signs were installed as part of a sdmba trail day.
    The signs that evdog refers to look like this:

None of these were installed on or near Los Gatos. They're all up on Noble Canyon, Pine Mt., Indian Creek, and Champagne Pass. The guys who did this (and who I often ride with) coordinated with SDMBA and the USFS Rangers and definitely did a great job.

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckanado View Post
    The signs that evdog refers to look like this:

None of these were installed on or near Los Gatos. They're all up on Noble Canyon, Pine Mt., Indian Creek, and Champagne Pass. The guys who did this (and who I often ride with) coordinated with SDMBA and the USFS Rangers and definitely did a great job.
    These signs are nice...however, the most obvious problem I see with them is ...they are made of wood...and the first fire, like those in 2003 and 2007 in the area, they will go poof!

I was out in Elfin Forest yesterday and they have a variety of signage...one version was fire-proof flat post as they are made of a iron/metal combo with the information cut thru the top portion. Yes, they are already "rustic-looking", but they aren't gonna burn, fade/erode, or be defaced like their cheap plastic-type cousins....they will be clearly visible for eons to come.

Food for thought in fire-prone areas. Ya gotta be smarter than the elements!

mtbr member
    Those are the signs! Sure they will burn in a fire, but the area they are in already burned not that many years ago. Hopefully the area does not burn again, but if there is another big fire I would be more bummed about the blackened landscape than the signs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    There are three signs at Los Gatos, and none of them look exactly like the Champagne pass/Noble canyon signs.

One sits at the top of the connector trail to Los Gatos, and warns of 'features' on the trail the should be attempted at the user's "own risk". One is right at the top of Los Gatos proper, and has a black diamond symbol and a "warning, jumps ahead" message. There used to be a sign that recommended that horses avoid that one trail, but equestrians destroyed it.....most likely. The third sign is at the bottom of Los Gatos trail, and I'm not sure what it says, as I'm always moving at a relatively high speed when I get to that part of the trail.
    My understanding is, like evdog says, that the signs were paid for and placed by the SDMBA, with the land managers permission.

The Lagunas' are an hours' drive from the coast, but it's one of the few places in San Diego county where as a mountain bike rider I actually feel welcome. It's also one of the last areas that still has trails and an unburned conifer forest.
    Pretty damned special, IMO.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    There are three signs at Los Gatos, and none of them look exactly like the Champagne pass/Noble canyon signs.

One sits at the top of the connector trail to Los Gatos, and warns of 'features' on the trail the should be attempted at the user's "own risk". One is right at the top of Los Gatos proper, and has a black diamond symbol and a "warning, jumps ahead" message. There used to be a sign that recommended that horses avoid that one trail, but equestrians destroyed it.....most likely. The third sign is at the bottom of Los Gatos trail, and I'm not sure what it says, as I'm always moving at a relatively high speed when I get to that part of the trail.
    My understanding is, like evdog says, that the
    signs were paid for and placed by the SDMBA, with
    the land managers permission.

The Lagunas' are an hours' drive from the coast,
    but it's one of the few places in San Diego county
    where as a mountain bike rider I actually feel
    welcome. It's also one of the last areas that still
    has trails and an unburned conifer forest.
    Pretty damned special, IMO.
    Having moved away from San Diego to Colorado a
    year and a half ago. I can attest to Rays statement
    of how special the Laguna mountains are. One
    minute your on the beach and an hour drive your
    in a very special mountain setting. With an
    abundance of well maintained trails. And hopefully
    with future respect towards the trails and other
    trail users this huge group of trails will continue to
    be open for future generations to enjoy. With all
    the recent trail closures throughout SD county it
    would be a tragedy to lose the gem of it all.

And kudos to those SDMBA members who donated
    their time and own money to fund and install
    these great looking signs. It's the little touches that
    really make a difference and make an area even
    more special.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah, those are not the signs I originally posted about but I have seen those on Nobel too. The signs over on Los Gatos are metal posts and metal signs with colored graphics. Nice to see others feels as I do about the area...my favorite in San Diego County for sure.

29er Hater
    Yeah, those are not the signs I originally posted about but I have seen those on Nobel too. The signs over on Los Gatos are metal posts and metal signs with colored graphics. Nice to see others feels as I do about the area...my favorite in San Diego County for sure.
    The new wooden trail signs were donated by Drew George & Partners and installed with help from SDMBA.

The signs on Los Gatos were installed by the Forest Service by request from SDMBA.

mark@sdmba.com
    Shuttle Noble? Hell No!

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecklermark View Post
    The new wooden trail signs were donated by Drew George & Partners and installed with help from SDMBA.

The signs on Los Gatos were installed by the Forest Service by request from SDMBA.

mark@sdmba.com
    Good job!
    Mark good to hear your still involved in sdmba you've done a great job over the years. How long have you been involved, I've known you to be for 13 years.

Jay
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Drew has been an amazing advocate for us out there. Great to see him getting some visibility!