Thread: Black Star

on the path most traveled

Black Star

I'm confused about the access policy. My understanding is that Black Star is part of Limestone Canyon, which is open for scheduled programs only. The Irvine Open Space website does not show Black Star in its list of parks that are open daily.

But, the "green book" doesn't mention any special access policies. So, can someone confirm whether or not Black Star is an all-access trail?

Thanks.

Warrior's Society
    Blackstar Canyon is open 24/7.....

There are a few trails that fork off from the canyon, but those have closed/locked/signed gates: Silmod is one, can't think of the others.

The entrance gate has a OC Parks sign on it, and they are running the 1st 3/4 of a mile or so....you will pass a sign that says "Now Leaving OC Parks".

Blackstar is an access point to Cleveland National Forest, thus always open.

You cannot park near the gate from 10pm-3am....but you can park down Blackstar Canyon Rd a ways.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

I eat cats
    ^What mtnbikej said. It is not part of the Irvine open space.

Also, the local landowners (Black Star Bill & Mr. Tuttle) used to harass hikers/bikers saying the road through their properties is private which is not true. It is a county pass through access road that is perfectly legal, just don't go onto their property! I haven't heard any stories of harassment lately anyways and ride there alone without any concerns.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    ^What mtnbikej said. It is not part of the Irvine open space.

Also, the local landowners (Black Star Bill & Mr. Tuttle) used to harass hikers/bikers saying the road through their properties is private which is not true. It is a county pass through access road that is perfectly legal, just don't go onto their property! I haven't heard any stories of harassment lately anyways and ride there alone without any concerns.

They are no longer out there....Edward's Ranch has been buying out all lots out there.

Also, after Tuttle's last brush with the law....I think we was prohibited from going back out there.

Ignore the signs on the main road that say "Private Road"....it is 100% legal to be there.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

on the path most traveled
    Good info. Thanks for the heads up. "Black Star Racing" has been dominating OTH and the OC Classics, so I'm eager to see if the trail will mold me into something worthy.

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    They are no longer out there....Edward's Ranch has been buying out all lots out there.

Also, after Tuttle's last brush with the law....I think we was prohibited from going back out there.

Ignore the signs on the main road that say "Private Road"....it is 100% legal to be there.
    That makes sense, thanks for the info! I grew up in Villa Park and Black Star was always a place that was talked about for ghost stories etc. there was that horrible incident in the early 2000's where those punk lowlife gangsters attacked the 2 couples out there.

I love Black Star for fitness rides. Not the most fun because it is fire road but the scenery is nice. Last time I rode there I hit that single track coming down from Beek's place (I believe it's called Booby Trap).

Here's a video of it from that day.. And yes, that is Enya for the music.. Lol

You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by sponger View Post
    Good info. Thanks for the heads up. "Black Star Racing" has been dominating OTH and the OC Classics, so I'm eager to see if the trail will mold me into something worthy.
    I have done a few OTH races, what class are you in? I am in beginner 30-34, this year was my first time ever entering any kind of race.

There sure are a lot of sandbaggers, one guy in my class posts videos of the races and also posts videos of the several other races he has been doing in So Cal for over 2 years... not what I would call a beginner. Haha, it's all good though since I am there for fun and to push myself. My wife loves going too.