mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Black Mountain-San Diego

Does anyone know if this trail is still open to bikers? I went there a couple of weeks ago, following the directions provided by all the reviews, only to find signs warning of $10,000 trespassing fines, etc... Needless to say, I was a little dissappointed, so I went over to Mission Trails.

Any help here on the rules on Black Mtn. would be appreciated.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

are you talking about

Quote Originally Posted by Zonacat
    Does anyone know if this trail is still open to bikers? I went there a couple of weeks ago, following the directions provided by all the reviews, only to find signs warning of $10,000 trespassing fines, etc... Needless to say, I was a little dissappointed, so I went over to Mission Trails.

Any help here on the rules on Black Mtn. would be appreciated.
    the one in town just North of the 56 or the one in Ramona?

I've ridden the one in town regularly but not lately so I can't be certain. But, the main fireroad up the hill is open. However, technically speaking, all of the ST in the park is supposedly off limits to bikes. Having said that, I've ridden the ST every time I've been out there and even road past a Ranger who never said anything to me so I jsut kept on going.

It may be closed due to rain damage but that's all I can think of.

YR

mtbr member
    Nov 2003

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    the one in town just North of the 56 or the one in Ramona?

I've ridden the one in town regularly but not lately so I can't be certain. But, the main fireroad up the hill is open. However, technically speaking, all of the ST in the park is supposedly off limits to bikes. Having said that, I've ridden the ST every time I've been out there and even road past a Ranger who never said anything to me so I jsut kept on going.

It may be closed due to rain damage but that's all I can think of.

YR
    Hi Yeti_Rider!
    (I only know of one.)

Regarding trails access, anything can happen with regard to the recent rains. Assuming both talking of the Black Mountain in San Diego, SDMBA has trail work scheduled for March 19. Here is the item from the calendar:

8:30:00 AM 8:30AM Black Mountain Park Trail Work Location Black Mountain northern staging area Description This Trailwork event is sponsored by Black Mountain Bicycles (9158 Mira Mesa Blvd. San Diego, CA 92126 Phone: 858-566-0712 www.blackmountainbicycles.com) For a list of what to bring - see the TRAIL MAINTENACE page. For more info, directions and RSVP contact dave@sdmba.com

So, email Dave about any specific trail questions. I know that I have put in far to many hours of trail work for them just to throw us out.

GaborH
    Dean Rider

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Thanks!

I guess I must have tried to access the Mtn from the wrong streets, I was driving all over the place. Where do you access the fire road up? I drove into the steep hilled subdivision and found one access, but had the "warning, private land, no trespassing, fines" sign and drove elsewhere only to find access the mtn, but no recognizable trails.

Where do you guys enter the trails from?

This just looks like a great quick cardio ride with a fun decent to me, and an alternative to muddy, flooded out Mission Trails.

I just got back into riding a couple of months ago after about a 10 year layoff. Trying to find all the good local rides I can with good climbing.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GaborH
    Hi Yeti_Rider!
    (I only know of one.)

Regarding trails access, anything can happen with regard to the recent rains. Assuming both talking of the Black Mountain in San Diego, SDMBA has trail work scheduled for March 19. Here is the item from the calendar:

8:30:00 AM 8:30AM Black Mountain Park Trail Work Location Black Mountain northern staging area Description This Trailwork event is sponsored by Black Mountain Bicycles (9158 Mira Mesa Blvd. San Diego, CA 92126 Phone: 858-566-0712 www.blackmountainbicycles.com) For a list of what to bring - see the TRAIL MAINTENACE page. For more info, directions and RSVP contact dave@sdmba.com

So, email Dave about any specific trail questions. I know that I have put in far to many hours of trail work for them just to throw us out.

GaborH
    Dean Rider

dft
    mtbr member
    the north face descent of black mountain is pretty cool. steep/slidy and rocky.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Fun Ride

I went today, just rode right up the fire road to the radio towers, very scenic, 20-ish minutes up. Then the rain hit out of nowhere and just hammered me. Tried to wait it out up top, saw the fun looking north side descent, but figured since it was just pouring I would head back down the fire road. Fun fire road, got pounded by rain on the way down. Will it ever stop raining here. Last time out at Mission Trails I got soaked as well, and it was sunny when I got there. Sunny when I got to Black Mountain too. Ugh, keep having to re-wash the ride.

Thanks for all the feedback, this board has helped me out quite a bit. Black mountain will definitely be on my "need to get a quick "good" ride in" rotation.