mtbr member
    May 2006

Biking Viking Chili Dog Ride

Biking Vikings will be doing the "Chili Dog" ride this friday night. The ride is up to the top of La Tuna Canyon Fire Road. There are people up there every friday night for about 250 years (something like that). It is a killer night ride with a killer view. People ride up from all sides of the Verdugo Mtns.

Here is the deal, the Vikings ride up to the top and make Chili Dogs for whoever happen to show up. We have never posted this on a forum so if you want to go it would be cool to give us a heads up and maybe bring up some ketchup packets.

Check out our site and check in if you want to go. Times and stuff will be on our forum.

www.biking-vikings.com

mtbr member

Aces.

I put this up on the los angeles bikeboom calendar.

mtbr member
    Last time I saw you guys up there (maybe two years ago) you had ice-burgers- it was COLD. Glad to see you moved your event to the summer.

Maybe I'll see you up there.

Jeff (one of the Friday night regulars.)

PS- some of the regulars having been going up there for only 20 years!!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Sweet, it would be killer to see you guys again. Does Todd the radio guy still come up?

We are going to try to do the ride every other month. It's tough because everybody has an excuse. You know how it is having friends that actually have lives

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The ride was a blast, we stayed up top until about 1:30am. We started later than planned and we saw 2 groups riding down on our way up. Maybe next time.

over researcher
    Would you mind explaining how you do this? What do you use to cook with? What do you use to transport the gear with? I'm interested in trying to get something like this started in the OC area.

mtbr member
    Haha!
    The "biking viking chili dog ride" is very informal. Its just a couple of guys (who may be vikings, one has the horns on his helmet) a bag of buns, weiners, canned chili, and a backpacking stove.
    It's not a formal event like, say, the Mt Wilson Pancake Breakfast, or the CORBA malibu creek BBQ/ ride.

"Back in the day" (like 10 years ago) there were some guys that threw some pretty serious parties up there in the Verdugos. Apparently they would use two baby trailers to haul the gear- one with about 5 boxes of pizza and snacks and another with a mini keg.
    Wish I could have been there...
    In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.

American Made!
    Royta,

it could be done pretty easily at Beeks Place. You could practically drive the stuff up Skyline - beer, food, grill, beer, chairs, beer - to Beeks place and set up shop plus the night view is pretty nice. It might entice folks from Irvine to come up the Blackstar way and us on the other side the Skyline way. You don't need a killer light set, the climb takes less than an hour and the way back down is minutes!
    Just think, when its over you could have a kamikaze downhill down either side.
    Just a thought.

over researcher
    1x1, I already have the killer light set. Speaking of that, why don't you meet us at Cook's tonight at 8PM. It's posted on the ladder. Give me a buzz on the celly.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    We have about 7 guys that make up the core group now. We have 2 stoves. 1 for chili & 1 for dogs. Everyone brings up a big backpack (I have panniers) with chips, pot & pans, tools, cheese, onions, tomatoes and tons of ketchup packets. Oh yeah...drinks.

It is informal but three of us have horns now and we are trying to increase the numbers by a few each ride. It is a ton of fun.

It is true that we got the idea from the original local riders that we met up there. The first time we went up we were hanging out and we were like "chili dogs would be killer right now". The riders that were up there laughed at us and were like "yeah right" so it became almost like a dare for us and the chili dog ride was born.

mtbr member
    That's a cool little story. The locals do know you just as much as the "chili dog boys" now as the biking vikings.
    Wish I coulda been there last week, but you know how it goes....
    Having hot food and cold beer at the top of the verdugos is definetly "good times."
    In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.

American Made!
    Royta,

Thanks for the invite but I had Daddy duty tonight. I did the Luge loop yesterday and broke a spoke zooming down the Luge, that was sketchy!
    Let me know the next time.